World Cup 2006

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

legostargalactica wrote:
Tellurider wrote:NO!

Germany and Spain! Germany and Spain!

It's more fun to have two teams! Dare I say.. double teaming?

*awaits rimshot*
careful combining "double teaming" and "rimshot" in a post...
No, that's "rimjob."

...and I just... /me shudders.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

DarkMagician wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
Tellurider wrote:NO!

Germany and Spain! Germany and Spain!

It's more fun to have two teams! Dare I say.. double teaming?

*awaits rimshot*
careful combining "double teaming" and "rimshot" in a post...
No, that's "rimjob."

...and I just... /me shudders.
i love when people fall for that :D
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Post by Ahaugen »

I'm just going to say that the officiating in the U.S./Italy game was crap.

(and what the hell is offsides in football? i still can't figure it out, and i googled it)
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

User avatar
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: in a lab doing SCIENCE!
Contact:

Post by Tellurider »

Okay, in hockey, it's the blue line that determines offsides.

In soccer, there's the two defense guys. They're like a mobile blue line. If the offensive team passes to itself past the line of the two defense guys, that's offsides. And stuff.

Maybe a real football fanatic could explain better but that's how I learned it when I played briefly as a kid.

Also, I knew *exactly* what I was saying, Lego. HAHAHAHAHAHA.
Image
updates Thursdays

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

ahaugen wrote:(and what the hell is offsides in football? i still can't figure it out, and i googled it)
Offside is the most complicated rule in football, and it isn't even that complicated once you get the hang off.

It was created to prevent offensive players to wait for the ball next to the goalkeeper. Basically, you are in an offside position if there are no defensive players between you and the goalkeeper (or the goal if the goalkeeper left his position) when a pass is made.

It has gotten a little complicated over time. Because teams started to abuse this rule (with a strategy called offside trap), offside offenses were changed. You can now wait for the ball in an offside position as long as the ball isn't passed to you, but to a player not in offside position. This has made offside traps more risky to use, but often makes up for poor referee calls as well.

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Take that, FIFA!! We're through to the round of sixteen despite you! :D

Heh...victory over the odds is so, so sweet...

Carn the Socceroos!! :D
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
Location: Anywhere else but here....
Contact:

Post by Prettysenshi »

Maybe this was mentioned already, but America lost to Ghana 2-1. I think >_>

User avatar
Chaoticcomics
Regular Poster
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by Chaoticcomics »

Crap. We lost to Ghana, and it wasn't pretty. Only 1 point earned. Urgh. At least we are better than Togo.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

well serbia lost 2 to 3... at least we scored a damn point. Looking at the standings it looks like i'll be rooting for the Ukraine in the next round.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: in a lab doing SCIENCE!
Contact:

Post by Tellurider »

Well both of MY teams are undefeated. So I am happy! Though not as happy as I would be if I were in Germany watching this stuff, admittedly.
Image
updates Thursdays

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Just root for Brazil and it's all good 8-)

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

When my team is not playing, I usually cheer the one who's losing at the moment.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

mcDuffies wrote:When my team is not playing, I usually cheer the one who's losing at the moment.
makes it easy to pretend they're serbia?
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

legostargalactica wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:When my team is not playing, I usually cheer the one who's losing at the moment.
makes it easy to pretend they're serbia?
No, I'm just a compassionate guy.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

mcDuffies wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:When my team is not playing, I usually cheer the one who's losing at the moment.
makes it easy to pretend they're serbia?
No, I'm just a compassionate guy.
no.. seriously...
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Italy just better watch out tomorrow, eh?
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

:lol: News are that Germany has shortage of beer.

I blame Australians.

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Dutch! wrote:Italy just better watch out tomorrow, eh?
You guys had your victory stolen from you. Shame on you, FIFA.

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Tell me about it...the entire country (well, those who stayed up till 3am to watch it) are shattered. Control the game against world class opposition for the entire match (except we couldn't quite manage a goal) then give away a penalty kick in the dying seconds BECAUSE THE BLOKE TOOK A DIVE!!

Not to worry. We were up against dodgy refs most of the tournament and came through despite it all. Couldn't be prouder of the Socceroos.

They'll have to take us more seriously next time.

Dunno who to watch (through news footage during the day at least) now that the Dutch were kicked out in that free for all against Portugal. Heh...that was a decent little scrap!
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Swiftbow
Regular Poster
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Post by Swiftbow »

Man, playing soccer is somewhat fun, but watching it?

Good god. The players endlessly run up and down the field, and almost never score. It's like watching somebody painting... and repeatedly missing the wall.

I think I actually ticked off some people during the short span in which I played soccer. I was scoring multiple goals as a midfielder because I'd keep running up and shooting with the backside of my foot away from where I was looking and apparently aiming. That like always fooled the goalie, lol.

Oh, and since I saw baseball mentioned, go Rockies go!
The banner compels you to read...
Image
All my comics (Planescape, Harry Potter Comics, Star Trek: Federation Star Defense) are available on:
Swiftbow.com

Locked