US political nonsense

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

You're a great American.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

A true patriot.

I know another guy that said that exact thing about the lapel. Except he was being serious.
Image

User avatar
KWill
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Disappointed
Contact:

Post by KWill »

I didn't, but then again, I don't get any American television.

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:A true patriot.

I know another guy that said that exact thing about the lapel. Except he was being serious.
I feel like something along those lines was in that compelling email I got a month or so ago.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Oh yeah, that was funny. Sort of.
Image

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Oh man, I remember that. It was one of the more ridiculous stunts of the race so far. :roll: I like how people completely ignored Obama's response to it, too. People make my head hurt.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
BeefotronX
Regular Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by BeefotronX »

The lapel thing is in and of itself not much of a big deal.

It's understandable to cringe at "trite displays of nationalism".
But check this out.

Someone wrote about this to Obama's campaign and got back a letter basically ridiculing the accusation, suggesting that he was out of his mind and the next thing he'd be demanding is a loyalty oath.

But guess what? The oath of office you have to take to be inaugurated as President is a loyalty oath.
I think anyone who won't take that oath can't be President. And so far Obama's not being helpful in supporting the perception that he might take that seriously.

Far from bringing any change, he's only going to bring back FDR's Old Deal with a fresh coat of green paint.
Image
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Yeahduff »

*shrug*

In the world of actual potential scandals, turns out John McCain is into not only blondes, but lobbyists.

I'll actually be really disappointed if this is true.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Ahaugen »

BeefotronX wrote:Far from bringing any change, he's only going to bring back FDR's Old Deal with a fresh coat of green paint.
Old-age pensions and public works projects?! The man must be stopped! </sarcasm>
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Laemkral »

BeefotronX wrote: suggesting that he was out of his mind and the next thing he'd be demanding is a loyalty oath.

But guess what? The oath of office you have to take to be inaugurated as President is a loyalty oath.
I think anyone who won't take that oath can't be President. And so far Obama's not being helpful in supporting the perception that he might take that seriously.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
That's the Oath of Inauguration for the POTUS, straight from the Constitution. At no time does the word "loyal" or any derivative appear. Also, at no time is the President swearing loyalty to a person, merely stating that (s)he will uphold the laws of the nation as codified in the supreme law of the land.

There is a very big difference between that and "I (name) do hereby swear to be loyal to the President of the United States." THAT is a loyalty oath.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
BeefotronX
Regular Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by BeefotronX »

So, you wouldn't consider it a loyalty oath to the Constitution?

Anyway, I do not trust a man who seems to equate any demonstration of patriotism with "trite displays of mindless nationalism", whether minor symbols like a lapel pin or observing the established code of respect for the Flag.

I'm not saying anything to the effect of that he should be rounded up and sent to a camp or some ridiculous thing like that; I simply have trouble entrusting the next few years of my country in the hands of someone who, apparently, is absolutely ashamed of it.
Image
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Mr.Bob »

If I knew someone who always put his hand on his heart and stared wistfully into the distance whenever he heard the national anthem play up I'd punch him.

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Laemkral »

BeefotronX wrote:So, you wouldn't consider it a loyalty oath to the Constitution?

Anyway, I do not trust a man who seems to equate any demonstration of patriotism with "trite displays of mindless nationalism", whether minor symbols like a lapel pin or observing the established code of respect for the Flag.

I'm not saying anything to the effect of that he should be rounded up and sent to a camp or some ridiculous thing like that; I simply have trouble entrusting the next few years of my country in the hands of someone who, apparently, is absolutely ashamed of it.
No, I consider it an oath of service very much like the oaths of enlistment taken by military personnel upon entering their duties. They aren't swearing loyalty to anyone or anything, merely stating that they will do their jobs to the utmost of their abilities and within the limits of the laws as set by the Constitution and other governing bodies. Similarly, the President is swearing publicly to do their job and not go around breaking Constitutional law. That's why if they DO start breaking those laws we get to go "Yeah, but you said you wouldn't, and now you have, so we're gonna impeach you."
A "loyalty oath" serves no purpose other than to declare your loyalty to an institution or person. The only loyalty oath that comes to my mind is the Pledge of Allegiance.

Yes, he has on occasion not put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. He also has put his hand up on other occasions. Most people in this country don't even know the Flag Code, let alone follow it. Every time you put a US Flag up outside your house, then leave it over night without any light on it? Flag Code violation. Every time you leave it outside during rain or inclement weather and it's not "all weather"? Flag Code violation. Little flag napkins for Fourth of July? Flag Code violation. Theres a debate on whether the stamps issued by the US Postal Service featuring an American flag on it are...a violation of the Flag Code. I'm willing to bet the majority of "Flag Code violations" are by the very same people who rip on Obama for what is basically an innocuous thing.

As far as the Pledge? Most people never say it again after their primary schooling. I was at Ft. Lewis in a CS (military tear gas) chamber and the instructors had many of us say the Pledge without our masks on. Several couldn't finish, not because of the gas, but because it'd been so long since they last actually said it they couldn't remember the words. These are future officers in the US Army. For the most part, saying the Pledge is pointless because it doesn't DO anything.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
BeefotronX
Regular Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by BeefotronX »

On another note, I am finding it darkly amusing that John McCain is now being pwned by the very same campaign finance regulations that he himself helped to create.
Image
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Grabmygoblin »

uh-oh, has someone been listening to Limbagh?
Image

User avatar
BeefotronX
Regular Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by BeefotronX »

Yes, I don't know what to do without having other people tell me what to think.
Image
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Grabmygoblin »

hey, you said it, not m-*FORUM BAN*
Image

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Col »


User avatar
KWill
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Disappointed
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by KWill »

Laemkral wrote:Most people in this country don't even know the Flag Code, let alone follow it. Every time you put a US Flag up outside your house, then leave it over night without any light on it? Flag Code violation. Every time you leave it outside during rain or inclement weather and it's not "all weather"? Flag Code violation. Little flag napkins for Fourth of July? Flag Code violation. Theres a debate on whether the stamps issued by the US Postal Service featuring an American flag on it are...a violation of the Flag Code. I'm willing to bet the majority of "Flag Code violations" are by the very same people who rip on Obama for what is basically an innocuous thing.
Ah, yeah, the stamps. Might tear the flag, so its a no-no. I must admit, I loved some of the flag violations in ought-six:

Image
Col wrote:Seriously? :-?
He's got my vote.

User avatar
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: US political nonsense

Post by Ahaugen »

I'd salute that


and would some one please rendition Ralph Nader? please?
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

Locked