Steve Irwin is dead.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- JTigerclaw
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1844
- Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
- Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
- Contact:
I loved Steve Irwin as a kid, and I still do. He will be missed greatly.
I don't think he did stupid things at all though. They may seem crazy to us because we don't know how to do what he did with as much success as him, but he was well trained, knowledgeable and always prepared. The man simply loved animals so much that he was more than willing to risk bodily harm or death just to be able to work with them. I'm sure many people would rather die doing what they loved than never get to do what they loved in the first place.
I don't think he did stupid things at all though. They may seem crazy to us because we don't know how to do what he did with as much success as him, but he was well trained, knowledgeable and always prepared. The man simply loved animals so much that he was more than willing to risk bodily harm or death just to be able to work with them. I'm sure many people would rather die doing what they loved than never get to do what they loved in the first place.
- ManyWorlds
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1980
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:32 am
I always thought that he was sort of an idiot, to be honest (never had the chance to watch his show), but this is still pretty sad. Mostly for his family, though. He did due doing what he loved, though I dunno how much comfort that would really be when a stingray's tail is stabbing you in the chest...Komiyan wrote:This shouldn't be surprising, but it is. Mostly I feel bad for his wife and kids, but they must have known there was a pretty huge chance of the happening..
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
For reasons I cant fathom, that post really pisses me off. Steve Irwin was a man willing to put himself in danger in order to make the animals we kill with no sort of moral sense seem less dangerous. He was a man who was quite literally willing to die for what he believed in, and should be treated as such. There's a difference between doing something stupid for money or for man-pride or for power, it's another to do something seemingly stupid to us in order to reach what he, and we all, think was an honest goal.atillathebun wrote:Oh yes, we all mourn the human who did STUPID things of which the rest of you agreed were STUPID things you never would have done yourself.
On the other hand, you also might have noticed that he refused to get near any bunnies. So, he may not have been so foolish after all.
He's dead. He died trying to show us the world around us. How about actually MOURNING him instead of basically putting his lifetime of work to waste?
NOT TO MENTION he left behind a FAMILY. And don't tell me "Well he should have stopped working with animals if he had a family". I'm sure Terri knew all along this would eventually happen, and lived preparing for it. But for Christ's sake give the man some RESPECT. He's no different from you than me. He's a human fucking being. If you died in a car accident, would you want to be the ACCIDENT PRONE person who died in an ACCIDENT?

- JTigerclaw
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1844
- Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
- Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
- Contact:
Amen, brother.Killbert-Robby wrote:For reasons I cant fathom, that post really pisses me off. Steve Irwin was a man willing to put himself in danger in order to make the animals we kill with no sort of moral sense seem less dangerous. He was a man who was quite literally willing to die for what he believed in, and should be treated as such. There's a difference between doing something stupid for money or for man-pride or for power, it's another to do something seemingly stupid to us in order to reach what he, and we all, think was an honest goal.atillathebun wrote:Oh yes, we all mourn the human who did STUPID things of which the rest of you agreed were STUPID things you never would have done yourself.
On the other hand, you also might have noticed that he refused to get near any bunnies. So, he may not have been so foolish after all.
He's dead. He died trying to show us the world around us. How about actually MOURNING him instead of basically putting his lifetime of work to waste?
NOT TO MENTION he left behind a FAMILY. And don't tell me "Well he should have stopped working with animals if he had a family". I'm sure Terri knew all along this would eventually happen, and lived preparing for it. But for Christ's sake give the man some RESPECT. He's no different from you than me. He's a human fucking being. If you died in a car accident, would you want to be the ACCIDENT PRONE person who died in an ACCIDENT?
- Atillathebun
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:36 am
Look, the fact is that Irwin was running around, risking his neck, picking up the animals so that we could flinch at his actions, and SOMEHOW that was supposed to provide a pro-social animal message. Whatever. John Edward claims he's helping humans with their mourning whenever he does his phony psychic readings. You can't use your personal idealistic platform to disguise the fact that you were taunting snakes so that the world would pity you for their own entertainment.
Of course, all this is not to say I don't feel poorly about his death. Yes, he was a man who had left us too soon, and while I usually go up onto this board to say despicable things about humans, I do it because I actually love each and every one of you, and hope that my highly skilled cynicism will one day help you all lead richer, fuller lives.
Of course, all this is not to say I don't feel poorly about his death. Yes, he was a man who had left us too soon, and while I usually go up onto this board to say despicable things about humans, I do it because I actually love each and every one of you, and hope that my highly skilled cynicism will one day help you all lead richer, fuller lives.
Thirded.JTigerclaw wrote:Amen, brother.Killbert-Robby wrote:For reasons I cant fathom, that post really pisses me off. Steve Irwin was a man willing to put himself in danger in order to make the animals we kill with no sort of moral sense seem less dangerous. He was a man who was quite literally willing to die for what he believed in, and should be treated as such. There's a difference between doing something stupid for money or for man-pride or for power, it's another to do something seemingly stupid to us in order to reach what he, and we all, think was an honest goal.atillathebun wrote:Oh yes, we all mourn the human who did STUPID things of which the rest of you agreed were STUPID things you never would have done yourself.
On the other hand, you also might have noticed that he refused to get near any bunnies. So, he may not have been so foolish after all.
He's dead. He died trying to show us the world around us. How about actually MOURNING him instead of basically putting his lifetime of work to waste?
NOT TO MENTION he left behind a FAMILY. And don't tell me "Well he should have stopped working with animals if he had a family". I'm sure Terri knew all along this would eventually happen, and lived preparing for it. But for Christ's sake give the man some RESPECT. He's no different from you than me. He's a human fucking being. If you died in a car accident, would you want to be the ACCIDENT PRONE person who died in an ACCIDENT?
For that matter, Irwin was well aware of what he was doing when he got involved with dangerous crocs and snakes. He wasn't some jackass walking up to a crocodile--he knew it's behavior and what to do in each circumstance. It's crazy to us because we don't know what the hell we'd do in approaching one of these animals, rather than being actually educated on them like he was.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
He picked up animals because everytime he picked one up and saved its life, or even better, used it to save human lives, and didn't die himself, he showed us that these animals don't need to be killed by the thousands.atillathebun wrote:Look, the fact is that Irwin was running around, risking his neck, picking up the animals so that we could flinch at his actions, and SOMEHOW that was supposed to provide a pro-social animal message. Whatever. John Edward claims he's helping humans with their mourning whenever he does his phony psychic readings. You can't use your personal idealistic platform to disguise the fact that you were taunting snakes so that the world would pity you for their own entertainment.

- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
I'm sure he'd rather the money that'd go into a statue of him instead going into the wildlife preservation he was dedicated to. The entertainment aspect of that helped him to continue making a career out of helping animals and looking insane while he was at it.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Jesus... What's people's problem now-a-days? Is there this little respect for life anymore? Sorry, I'm just a bit pissed off. More people than I care to think of are just... well to quote one person, "Steve was totally owned"... another said he deserved to die. When did a human life lose it's worth?
Someone's hosting a party to CELEBRATE his death. Not as in "He was a good lad" but as in, to quote "Faggot finally got killed"
Someone's hosting a party to CELEBRATE his death. Not as in "He was a good lad" but as in, to quote "Faggot finally got killed"

- Christwriter
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1915
- Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am
On Steve Irwin himself:
. And once again, life gets a little smaller and a little dimmer. Reguardless of his personal life, he was one of the few honest-to-god characters on TV and he never failed to make me and my parents and probably millions of people around the world smile.
In a world where the average show is constant moan-and-groan, sex pumped, violence salted dreck, he provided good clean fun that didn't make you feel like you needed to wash down with antibacterial soap afterwards.
That needs to count for something.
As for what good his life did or did not do...at the risk of sounding disrespectful of someone I admire...who cares? His legacy and the good he did or did not do aren't for him. They're for his family and the people (like us poor, sad idiots disecting his life now that he's not in it anymore) he left behind. His life and his work were his. I don't think this is the way that he wanted to die, but I do think that this was the way he wanted to live. He probably knew damn well all he had to do was misinterprete the animals once, and he'd be in trouble. He did it anyway, danger and all. And I can promise you, if he'd lived his life differently, he'd probably be looking back in fifty years going "Craiky, what a waste of life that was."
To the rest of us, he was out-of-his-mind crazy. But to him? He was probably happy.
Not a lot of people will get to say that.
CW
In a world where the average show is constant moan-and-groan, sex pumped, violence salted dreck, he provided good clean fun that didn't make you feel like you needed to wash down with antibacterial soap afterwards.
That needs to count for something.
As for what good his life did or did not do...at the risk of sounding disrespectful of someone I admire...who cares? His legacy and the good he did or did not do aren't for him. They're for his family and the people (like us poor, sad idiots disecting his life now that he's not in it anymore) he left behind. His life and his work were his. I don't think this is the way that he wanted to die, but I do think that this was the way he wanted to live. He probably knew damn well all he had to do was misinterprete the animals once, and he'd be in trouble. He did it anyway, danger and all. And I can promise you, if he'd lived his life differently, he'd probably be looking back in fifty years going "Craiky, what a waste of life that was."
To the rest of us, he was out-of-his-mind crazy. But to him? He was probably happy.
Not a lot of people will get to say that.
CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a><a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
- Sortelli
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 6334
- Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:15 pm
- Location: in your grandpa's clothes, I look incredible
- Contact:
I got the news from a bunch of classless dicks on a WoW server, but it was nice that there were also folks there who pointed out what sheer assholery it was to laugh at the guy dying like this.
He had started to grate on my nerves and I'd stopped watching some time ago, but he was a sincere and good person overall and I can't have anything but respect for that.
He had started to grate on my nerves and I'd stopped watching some time ago, but he was a sincere and good person overall and I can't have anything but respect for that.
- Atillathebun
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:36 am
I resent the implication that everything I've said about Steve Irwin so far is only meant as a cruel joke. Sure, it's easy to point and laugh at the misery of others, espcially the ironic (though in this case not too ironic) death of an important public figure. But I am not doing this. I'm sharing with you my sincere opinions of a famous person who I considered to be a total charlatan. I'm not in league with mouth-harping MMO enthusiasts who are "Dur-Hur-Hur"-ing over his tragic death. I just don't feel that he should be standing so high up on the shoulders of our admirations. As far as I'm concerned he's just another by-product of a society who worships Paris Hilton and Kevin Federline.
- Nyke
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 4704
- Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
- Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
- Contact:
Exactly.Escushion wrote:(Who the hell's Kevin Federline?)
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.
- Nyke
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 4704
- Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
- Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
- Contact:
I see him as a kind, smart person, that was a little crazy (in other words, he's just like half the forum). He taught us that, despite flukes (like the stingray stinger going into the heart) most animals can be handled safely, and don't need to be just offed.
I just hope the next guy gets a chest pad, though...
...and yes, when I mourn, I mourn "wake-style".
I just hope the next guy gets a chest pad, though...
...and yes, when I mourn, I mourn "wake-style".
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod









