US political nonsense

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
Locked
User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Sick.
Image

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

People keep saying that, but I think it's terrible strategy. It's just gonna alienate the base who aren't evangelicals, and force republicans to vote libertarian. Which is not to say we won't see McCain/Huckleberry. I just don't think it's gonna work out.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

"Better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside pissing in"?

I'm quite pleased you've got it down to Clinton, McCain and Obama as potential presidents. Being non-American, US interior politics are none of my business, but when it comes to foreign and security policy, all three candidates are infinitely better than Bush (and Huckabee and Romney, whose proposed foreign policies are basically extensions of the utter disaster that is Dubya's). So yeah. Whether you end up with Clinton, McCain or Obama, it should be a great improvement. Thumbs up, guys.

User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
Contact:

Post by Jesusabdullah »

McCain's pretty warmongerish these days, last I checked. Tru dat re: the democrats though.

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

McCain's better than any of the others though.

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Post by Laemkral »

At least McCain gets that you don't torture the people you capture.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

jesusabdullah wrote:McCain's pretty warmongerish these days, last I checked. Tru dat re: the democrats though.
It's very possible I missed out on some nasty bits in McCain's foreign policy ideas. But at least he's on record as being vehemently opposed to the use of torture, detention without trial etc; that whole "raping human rights and fair trials up the butt" thing the Bush administration's got going.

Um, what Laemkral said.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Remember when everyone said going into Kosovo was a bad idea? McCain said we weren't doing enough and ought to send ground troups in.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
Contact:

Post by Jesusabdullah »

Also quoted as saying, "there will be other wars," referring to more war in the Middle East unless I was seriously misinterpreting there.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from Mr. Escobar?

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

jesusabdullah wrote:Also quoted as saying, "there will be other wars," referring to more war in the Middle East unless I was seriously misinterpreting there.
Well, he's probably sadly correct there. The question is, who will instigate those wars, and for which reasons?
jesusabdullah wrote:Just out of curiosity, where are you from Mr. Escobar?
Denmark. Though currently residing in Germany.

I'm sorry to say that my native country was one of the "coalition of the willing" that invaded Iraq.

User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
Contact:

Post by Jesusabdullah »

It's possible he just meant that the problem wouldn't just magically go away, but somehow I think he still supports pre-emptive action. :/

The "coalition of the willing" bit reminds me of Chapelle's 'Black Bush' skit. "I got forty nations ready to roll, son!" "Like who?" "Who the FUCK said that?"

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

McCain's views on the Iraq war, from his on quotes:

# Timetable for withdrawal is a white flag of surrender. (Jan 2008)
# Staying for 100 years OK, if US casualties are low. (Jan 2008)
# Ok with American presence in Iraq for 100 years. (Jan 2008)

Reeeeeally don't want it to be him.
Image
Image

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Exactly. Mind, if the other option is Huck-throw-the-constitution-out-the-window-in-favor-of-religion-bee....then even McCain starts to look better. But that said it's like choosing between cyanide and atropine.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

McCain: "I support the Bush doctrine of pre-emptive war".

... damn.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Update: Squeee! Obama took the DC, Maryland, and Virginia dem primaries!
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
Location: Anywhere else but here....
Contact:

Post by Prettysenshi »

MixedMyth wrote:Update: Squeee! Obama took the DC, Maryland, and Virginia dem primaries!
I really think its gonna be between Obama and McCain at this point.

User avatar
KWill
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Disappointed
Contact:

Post by KWill »

Komiyan wrote:McCain's views on the Iraq war, from his on quotes:

# Timetable for withdrawal is a white flag of surrender. (Jan 2008)
# Staying for 100 years OK, if US casualties are low. (Jan 2008)
# Ok with American presence in Iraq for 100 years. (Jan 2008)

Reeeeeally don't want it to be him.
Unfortunately, that's where I partially agree with him. A timetable for withdrawal signals for whomever to stay low and then intensify their attacks. Iraq is broken, and we're squarely to blame, so if it takes 100 years to fix it, we're pretty much obliged to stick around that long. It's also one main reason why I was against the war in the first place: The Shrub started something that he wouldn't be paying the tab for.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

I think the point of the time tables isn't so much to say "reality will fit this rigid abitrary schedule!" as to show that there's some kind of forethought going on, and thereby something to actually hold people accountable to...looking to the future and what direction we're going in. Of course things come up...there's always the need to adapt.

At least, that's how I've interpreted it?
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
KWill
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Disappointed
Contact:

Post by KWill »

MixedMyth wrote:I think the point of the time tables isn't so much to say "reality will fit this rigid abitrary schedule!" as to show that there's some kind of forethought going on, and thereby something to actually hold people accountable to...looking to the future and what direction we're going in. Of course things come up...there's always the need to adapt.

At least, that's how I've interpreted it?
You don't need a timetable for that, though. You can set objectives that need to be met, such as so-and-so much stability and so-and-so much percentage of security being handled by Iraqi forces. Setting a date for withdrawal is like saying "When have we cared long enough?"

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

Why would staying fix it?
Image
Image

Locked