Previews in general tend to make things look awful to me. I thought The Incredibles was gonna suck.Nanda wrote:When I first saw the previews, I thought it looked awful. But the more I see of it, the better it looks. I saw an HBO: First Look segment on it, and I was shocked by how not at all awful it actually looked.Levi-chan wrote:Wow. Kung Fu Panda was surprisingly RAD.
What movies have you seen recently?
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
I'm anticipating this.Rickford wrote:I just watched 'Wristcutters: A love story'.
- MixedMyth
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 6319
- Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: Niether here nor there
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
Finally saw Juno. Good movie. =D
-
RobertBlake
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
I watched "Wayne's World" on video about an hour ago.
I actually remember the first time I saw this one. I was 14 at the time, and an SNL fan at the time. My mother took me, my sister, and my little brother to a weekend matinée to see "Wayne's World". We sat in the front row on the right side. It was pretty cool, although at the time I didn't get all the jokes, and my mother had to tell me what "gratuitous" meant.
I actually remember the first time I saw this one. I was 14 at the time, and an SNL fan at the time. My mother took me, my sister, and my little brother to a weekend matinée to see "Wayne's World". We sat in the front row on the right side. It was pretty cool, although at the time I didn't get all the jokes, and my mother had to tell me what "gratuitous" meant.
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
Man, musta seen Wayne's World 500 times. Great stuff.
I hear Myers & Carvey reprised the roles at the last MTV Awards Thing.
I hear Myers & Carvey reprised the roles at the last MTV Awards Thing.
- Tim
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3285
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
- Location: State of WA, formerly MA
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
They did. (Actually, probably the only bit I saw of the MTV Movie Awards.)Yeahduff wrote:I hear Myers & Carvey reprised the roles at the last MTV Awards Thing.
Mainly reprising all of their catchphrases, and they did their Top 10 list bit - "Top 10 Movies in 2008 that Sound like Porn Movies" or something to that effect.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
Wayne's World is on my short list of entertaining movies that never seem to get old. On that list are also Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Spaceballs, Ghostbusters, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Galaxy Quest and Beetlejuice. All of these are in rotation when I have a long night of inking ahead of me. I mainly just listen to these movies and look up occasionally when my hand hurts since I know the movies so well.
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
For me it used to be White Men Can't Jump, My Cousin Vinnie, and Class Act.
I recently learned Keith Mars was in Galaxy Quest. I think he was an alien.
I recently learned Keith Mars was in Galaxy Quest. I think he was an alien.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
Yeah, he's the head alien, Mathesar.
I found Galaxy Quest to be a shocking movie. I thought it was gonna suck based on the commercials, but it's quite good. It spoofs Star Trek really well, yet has its own identity and is actually written well. More spoofs should be like this and not like a straight unfunny rip like anything with the word "Movie" in its title (Epic Movie, Scary Movie 4, whatever).
I found Galaxy Quest to be a shocking movie. I thought it was gonna suck based on the commercials, but it's quite good. It spoofs Star Trek really well, yet has its own identity and is actually written well. More spoofs should be like this and not like a straight unfunny rip like anything with the word "Movie" in its title (Epic Movie, Scary Movie 4, whatever).
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
I just got back from seeing Indy 4.
I have the feeling the film's been done to death in this thread, so I'll just say that I liked it. Sort of.
Apart from the plot. To be honest, whatever the film was about, I'd love it. If it was "Indiana Jones and the slightly rude Dry Cleaner" or "Indiana Jones and the queue at the post office", I'd still love it.
(Spoilers)
And now some random thoughts in no particular order:
I liked the fact that Indy survived being smack bang in the middle of a huge nuclear explosion by hopping into a fridge. I liked that we saw Indy plow through a variety of crates at area 51 in a jeep of some kind, completely destroying many priceless scientific wonders. I liked that one of the smashed crates clearly contains the Ark of the Covenant from the first film. I liked the fact that Indy made some local mayan nutjobs with blowpipes run away when he pointed his gun at them. I liked that Neil Flynn was in the film.
I liked that every car chase in the film involved indy spending more time on top of/climbing the side of/sitting on the bonnet of said cars than actually being in them.
I disliked the "Mutt" character. Well, to be honest I was quite fond of the 'Mutt' character. What I really disliked about him was the constant threat of Mutt being the next Indiana Jones. Stop giving him all of Indy's fight scenes. No, stop making him catch up with the villains by silly Indy style improvisation. No, DON'T YOU DARE PUT THAT HAT ON YOU JUMPED UP LITTLE PRICK! Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Lucas, nobody cares about this stupid little runt of a character knocked together to appeal to the 14 year old girls in the audience. We came to see Indy. Give us more Indy please. No, we don't even want Henry Jones, we want Indiana Jones. That's his name. Stop calling him Henry now.
I think the film could have been improved by the aliens in fact being E.Ts. Hell, E.Ts were in Star Wars, why not make it a hat trick? When the ship rose from the ground at the end, how awesome would it be if it were the same ship from E.T?
I didn't like Mac, not for any in-film reason, but simply because I have my personal hatred of Ray Winstone. He's a horrid excuse for a human being and should be shot.
To summarise, I enjoyed the film, although I can't be entirely sure whether that's because it's a good film, or because I love Indiana Jones.
I have the feeling the film's been done to death in this thread, so I'll just say that I liked it. Sort of.
Apart from the plot. To be honest, whatever the film was about, I'd love it. If it was "Indiana Jones and the slightly rude Dry Cleaner" or "Indiana Jones and the queue at the post office", I'd still love it.
(Spoilers)
And now some random thoughts in no particular order:
I liked the fact that Indy survived being smack bang in the middle of a huge nuclear explosion by hopping into a fridge. I liked that we saw Indy plow through a variety of crates at area 51 in a jeep of some kind, completely destroying many priceless scientific wonders. I liked that one of the smashed crates clearly contains the Ark of the Covenant from the first film. I liked the fact that Indy made some local mayan nutjobs with blowpipes run away when he pointed his gun at them. I liked that Neil Flynn was in the film.
I liked that every car chase in the film involved indy spending more time on top of/climbing the side of/sitting on the bonnet of said cars than actually being in them.
I disliked the "Mutt" character. Well, to be honest I was quite fond of the 'Mutt' character. What I really disliked about him was the constant threat of Mutt being the next Indiana Jones. Stop giving him all of Indy's fight scenes. No, stop making him catch up with the villains by silly Indy style improvisation. No, DON'T YOU DARE PUT THAT HAT ON YOU JUMPED UP LITTLE PRICK! Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Lucas, nobody cares about this stupid little runt of a character knocked together to appeal to the 14 year old girls in the audience. We came to see Indy. Give us more Indy please. No, we don't even want Henry Jones, we want Indiana Jones. That's his name. Stop calling him Henry now.
I think the film could have been improved by the aliens in fact being E.Ts. Hell, E.Ts were in Star Wars, why not make it a hat trick? When the ship rose from the ground at the end, how awesome would it be if it were the same ship from E.T?
I didn't like Mac, not for any in-film reason, but simply because I have my personal hatred of Ray Winstone. He's a horrid excuse for a human being and should be shot.
To summarise, I enjoyed the film, although I can't be entirely sure whether that's because it's a good film, or because I love Indiana Jones.
- CaptainClaude
- Witty British President
- Posts: 5647
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
- Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
not at all awesome.Rickford wrote:how awesome would it be if it were the same ship from E.T?
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
Luckily for us, the next Indy is set to be about Mutt, with Indiana being more of a "Sean Connery"
Let us rejoyce....

Let us rejoyce....


- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
The Indy hatred in this thread is very silly.
We're not doing Shia any favors by making him measure up to Harrison Ford and Marlon Brando.
We're not doing Shia any favors by making him measure up to Harrison Ford and Marlon Brando.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
The only thing silly around here is your face. Especially your use of the word "very." It's either something or it isn't. May as well have said "utilize."
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
Just saw Speed Racer. Pure, unadulterated cinematic drama. The sort of movie it's hard not to cheer at the end of. Not to say it was good, mind you - it's hardly great movie history making literature - but for what it was it was very good and an awful lot of fun.
- Joel Fagin
- Joel Fagin
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
There are definitely degrees of things. My face is silly. Jimmy Buffet fans are VERY silly.TheSuburbanLetdown wrote:The only thing silly around here is your face. Especially your use of the word "very." It's either something or it isn't. May as well have said "utilize."
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
i keep wanting to go see Iron Man but it looks like i'm going to miss out on seeing it in the theaters, oh well. i did see Indy 4 and enjoyed it and my wife took me to Sex and the City because she loves it and the movie was good for what it was. So many movies I want to see, no way to afford the time and money to see them. oh well, I guess I have to wait for video releases.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
I'm speaking on behalf of Iron Man now, but you may not enjoy the video release. It really was a made-for-cinema movie. I'm not saying GO AND SEE IT NOW, I merely warn you in case you see the release and go "whats the big whoop?"

- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: What movies have you seen recently?
It'll still be good on a tv. But yeah, it's better on screen. Most things are.





