I hate my college.

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
Locked
User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

I hate my college.

Post by Nyke »

See, my college has a unique way of scheduling times for classes.
  1. First, they gauge my diverse interests in various courses
  2. Then, they schedule classes I show an interest in the same time slot just to fuck with me.
Case in point: Japanese and art.

I have not taken an art course since the 8th grade. I really want to take one, but they've put them in the same time slots as other classes I wanted for two years.

Now, my Japanese teacher wants us to take up Intermediate Japanese I next semester for a trip to Japan during interim.

And of course, in schedule development, she proposed two times. One that was at the same time as the art class that I wanted to take, and another that would have been 100% A-Okay with me.

With the mild murmers, I figured I was the only one with a real reason backing my decision. Of course, my Social Anxiety Disorder acted up, so I couldn't get loud enough to break through them.

So, it looks like the scheduling will be against me. According to her, it's official, but to the college it's considered "course development", or "rough sketch of where we want to put classes".

So, now I have to choose between a Japanese class that'll allow me to go to Japan, and not being able to advance in art as much as I'd want; or the art class, and not being able to go to Japan for interim.

...I hate my college.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Genesis_13
Regular Poster
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Right outside M.E. Charm's house...escaping!
Contact:

Post by Genesis_13 »

That sucks so much. :cry:
Who are you calling a super-small bean you need a magnifying glass to see?!!!

This would be so much better if I updated it....which I did....but then I stopped again!

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

This is how colleges or universities schedule their classes. It will be the same at every other post-secondary institution you try, no matter what classes you're interested in. I don't know how they manage such Platonic inconvenience, but I suspect time travel is involved.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Try scheduling anything at all around a required class that meets nine hours a week.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

*Laughs at college kids in general and Nike in particular*
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Numina
Regular Poster
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Post by Numina »

Art you can study and develop on your own. And there are art classes available even after you graduate from university.

College art classes are also very hit-or-miss.

For Japanese, you need a teacher and contact with other speakers, and you're not likely to get the opportunity to study it once you graduate.

So if you really want to study Japanese, I would recommend choosing that. Especially with a chance to go to Japan!

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Been there, done that, pissed in the pond. If only all of life's big decisions were that important.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Chrismills
Regular Poster
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Post by Chrismills »

Wait, you don't schedule your own classes?
Image

User avatar
CapitanG
Regular Poster
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:32 pm
Location: My mountain hideout
Contact:

Post by CapitanG »

The answer to all of your problems lies in sunny Montana, DarkMagician! Come then to delightful University of Montana! Be awed by the freedom and impressed by the availability! Ooh, ahh indeed!

...I'm just lonely. Hope you get things straightened out.
Gnomes! --Still being updated!
Talent Optional -- Surreality TV--Both on Hiatus

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

There's simple reason for stuff like this. Colleges have finally realized that the 'college roomies' genre of comic strips are the foremost entertainment medium of modern days, and are attempting to provide more material for up-and-coming comic artists.

They're only trying to be helpful. Really. :P
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

But roomies strips are the wave of the future! It worked for Doonebury AND Bloom County!
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

Leko wrote:There's simple reason for stuff like this. Colleges have finally realized that the 'college roomies' genre of comic strips are the foremost entertainment medium of modern days, and are attempting to provide more material for up-and-coming comic artists.

They're only trying to be helpful. Really. :P
So, if I jump on that genre, I could be sitting on a cash cow.

Damn Gameshow. Damn VBHnPI*.

*secret webcomic project: if I told you about it, I'd have to kill you.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

My school is pretty open to unique schedules. The only thing is when classes are in the same time slot, but that's just when you're out of luck.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

DarkMagician wrote:
Leko wrote:There's simple reason for stuff like this. Colleges have finally realized that the 'college roomies' genre of comic strips are the foremost entertainment medium of modern days, and are attempting to provide more material for up-and-coming comic artists.

They're only trying to be helpful. Really. :P
So, if I jump on that genre, I could be sitting on a cash cow.

Damn Gameshow. Damn VBHnPI*.

*secret webcomic project: if I told you about it, I'd have to kill you.
So DM... tell me about VBHnPI. :)
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

DarkMagician wrote:Damn Gameshow. Damn VBHnPI*.

*secret webcomic project: if I told you about it, I'd have to kill you.
So all those times you talked in your sleep have put my life in danger?

Locked