FAST FOOD FOLIES

FAST FOOD FOLIES

Postby LaterJ on Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:11 am

Joe is now employed in the glorious fast food industry.
I have some good ideas for future strips, based on my McDonald's experience, but since this will probably be the only chance I'll make in the story to mock working in fast food, let's hear your stroies.
What happened to you when you were flipping burgers, or frying chickem, or scrubbing grease from your pores?
Go on, vent.
later
-J

Retail Weekly: The internet comic for 9 to 5ers
http://retail.keenspace.com
LaterJ
Regular Poster

Postby Dark_Tiger on Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:46 pm

I worked a grand total of nine hours in fast food (at a Long John Silvers) but I do have one story.

THEY HAD A GIANT SQUEEGEE TO MOVE THE GREASE AROUND ON THE FLOOR!!
I'm sorry but that thing has traumatized me greatly. I can no longer eat there at all but then again I know almost no one who can eat at a fast food chain they once worked at.
Dark_Tiger

Postby Jilar on Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:24 am

oh, that one was great!

the one thing I've always been firm about is that I will *NEVER* work in food service. I always volunteered to work the cafeteria in grade school, and I thought that was bad enough...

know what? I've now worked at my current job long enough to have health insurance. it only took a year.

if you ever want to have fun, try to have someone at Taco Bell fix you a beef burrito, something that used to be in their menu for *years*. i used to eat them religiously, even after they took them off the menu about seven years ago. now that i've moved, I found myself trying to explain the incredibly hard construction of this lovely edible... "meat from *COW*, red sauce, cheese." i almost always get a weird bean burrito-- even though one nice lady-employee knows what i want, she can't get them to make it right. <sighs> i wish they'd put it back on the menu so I can have one again.
Jilar

Taco Hell

Postby LaterJ on Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:35 am

My favorite Taco Bell item was the Chilito (I have simple tastes), but for a while they were trying to unload it. In a lot of newer Taco Bells they don't have the wonderful Chillito! Whenever I hit a Taco bell like that my heart always sinks.
Taco Bell re-modelled everything a few years back, and when they did they RE-NAMED the Chilito as the Chii-Cheese-Burrito. What a boring name. Anyway, I always order a "Chilito" with whatever else I get and I always hear "We don't have those." I then glance at the menu and re-phrase. "I'd like a Chili Cheese Burito." The guy usually then goes "Oh, oh yeah".
Honestly, if you're old enough to work at the Bell you should remember that they used to be called Chilitos.

My other Taco Bell story is about the guy who works the drive through at night in a nearby Taco Bell. He's hillarious because he talks like Cheech Marin. Now that's ambience. I usually but on a reall fake Irish or French accent when I order there to play around.
later
-J

Retail Weekly: The internet comic for 9 to 5ers
http://retail.keenspace.com
LaterJ
Regular Poster

Postby Thybart on Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:45 am

The pleasures of Taco Bell. Nothing beats a bean burrito, nothing!

But one of my fondest fast food memories has to be the Italian Chicken sandwich that they used to serve at Burger King... now that was a taste sensation!

I would never work in fast food, better to die...

abe.
"...it's just a phase, it will be over soon..."
Thybart
Regular Poster

Postby CPOK on Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:07 pm

My current food that I am hooked on is Tandori chicken with sweet onion sauce from Subway. you just cant beat that!
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but bribery gets me everywhere!
"A bullet may or may not have your name on it, but shells are merely engraved with 'to whom it may concern'."
-Anthony Loyd
Anime: its not about the big guns, Its about the bouncies!
CPOK
Regular Poster

Postby Thybart on Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:36 am

Why doesn't Joe just quit Burger Czar!

Zoe is waiting for him!

ha!

abe.
Thybart
Regular Poster

Postby PCGuarino on Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:45 pm

I never worked at a fast food place. The closest I came was a bussboy for a cheap family restaraunt. That was a horrible job. 6-3 most days. I'd come home smelling like a mixture of smoke, grease, and the bleach we used in the towels. Another thing was that we didn't get a break in the shift. So we generally survived on crackers and jelly packets. We did get free pop. I enjoyed a mixture of 1/4 lemonade, 1/4 sprite, 1/2 Hawaian Punch, with a bunch of lemons squeezed in to keep you awake.

One particular day I remember, we had to clean the booths after each customer left. these were those family restaraunt cheep booths with a deep plastic groove inbetween the padded back and seat. I remember some child had taken the mustard bottle and filled the groove from one side to the other with mustard. Now I'm not a fan of mustard to begin with, so I sat there, wipping copious amounts of yellow mustard up with napkins for like ten minutes. I think thats why I hat kids so much.
Atleast one of the reasons.
Patrick
------------------------
http://targetpractice.keenspace.com
"You shot who in the what now"
PCGuarino

Postby Glamourcat on Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:51 am

I've worked at only two places before getting my REAL job - you know, the one that you intended to be in but first had to shell out ridiculous amounts of money to a college for. My first job was at the Bagel Connection - I was fired for not making sandwichs fast enough. This was of course, grounds for a cursing. They closed two weeks later and a medical supply store moved in afterwards. The second job I had after that - and wasted three and a half years of my life on - Wal*Mart.
Oh... the things I could tell you about Store #2163....
Glamourcat

Return to Retail Weekly