Merry Christmas

Postby SpiritWolf on Sat Dec 30, 2000 6:59 am

Little is known about it other than it's non-linear and I jump on anything non-linear like a rabid Dog, maybe just to suit my "phenotype" (I think?) or maybe just because it's fun but I've gone off on a tangent. Anyways, I'll run over to Game Revolution and read the review then I can tell you.<P>Well, thanks to the marvels of Hypertext Time Compression (tm), that took me a few minutes but it's only taking you a few seconds to read. Innit marvelous?<P>Skies of Arcadia is generally about a band of misfit pirates with an airship, at the start of the game you're a bad guy mercenary working for the highest bidder (yay!) but then you find something to fight for and get involved in a big plot that involves the world ... which you can completely ignore to go off and do piratey things, like find ancient ruins for travel angencies and fight innocent trade ships. <P>It's been so long since I've seen a game where you can just ignore the main plot. You couldn't even do that in Fallout. There's probably a timer though (ala Fallout) that makes you stick to it somehow.<P><B>Edit</B><P>What I'm hoping it means though is that you can have an adventurer's rating for taking inniciative. So if you find the Tomb of Xonglathalix (or something) at the start of the game then you'll get rewarded highly for it but if you follow the story and the adventurer Ailix (or something) tells you about it then you lose adventurer points and a cool weapon, etc. There aren't many games that have a completely open gameworld as soon as you start the game up and that's what I'm looking forward to in this.<p>[This message has been edited by SpiritWolf (edited 12-30-2000).]
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Arno on Sun Dec 31, 2000 9:42 am

You know, the first non-lineair game that I can remember was Elite... Now I've got all sorts of memories flooding back again. Of course, Elite lacked a main plot, but what would you expect from a game designed to run on a machine with 32Kb of memory. *L* Sometimes when I tell this to people younger then myself, they start scoffing at machines with only 32MB of memory. They are very taken aback when I pointed out to them that I said <I>kilo</I>byte. *Sigh* I feel old... ;)<P>Anyway, My main gifts were two books, <I>Good Omens</I>, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and <I>Witchess Abroad</I> by Terry Pratchett... No major stacks of gifts for me... Not that I wanted any... *L*<P>BUT... I also have received gifts from overseas. Mel sent me a big Calvin and Hobbes book which will take ages to read but looks like it'd be a very good and fun way to spend the time. She also sent me a pack of Oreos. *L*<P>Angie sent me something too... I haven't yet thanked her for it, I wanted to do it personally, when I see her next. Two drawings, if I had a scanner I'd show you how pretty they are. Each one seems to go with two stories I wrote, Nooit and Demon's Eye. They're very good and I'm very happy with them. :)<P>There, that's my list. *L* I'm not too late, am I?
Arno
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Sun Dec 31, 2000 11:23 am

Pratchett books eh? Lucky! He's a great author he is, almost an institution unto himself in the UK. ;><P>Ahh ... games of old, eh? I remember playing Elite on the BBC Micro myself back in school but the first non-linear game I ever played that had a plot and is probably still in my top ten favourite games for just being so damned amazing for the time is Ultima VII. To this day I haven't seen a game do as much ... with today's technology games should be doing a hell of a lot more. Utlima VII proves that if you ask me. I'm glad of consoles though because PC games today seem to have gotten lacklustre, lacking the imagination and passion of games hence.<P>Now I feel like that Grandpa guy from Donkey Kong Country (SNES). "Oh, we didn't have 65 frames per seconds ... but we had real games!". I don't care really though, there were some really grand old games that just haven't been bettered much yet.
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Mel on Sun Jan 07, 2001 3:17 am

*blinks* You know, if the game is that messed up, i'm gonna have a hard time looking at Roy with a straight face for a while. ;)
Mel
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Sun Jan 07, 2001 5:32 am

Gah. I forgot about the whole damned plate falling thing ... I can't even remember where that is. Though it <I>has</I> been at least three years since I've played it. I know the parts I wrote about are 100% accurate, I'm just not sure where the plate thing happens.<P>{checks out his official guide thing}<P>Oh, that's right! After the sewers you have to make it back through the haunted trainyard fighting ghosts and stuff as you know, then you do the pillar assault thingy and <I>after</I> that you go to Shinra HQ. That's what I forgot.<P>It's really quite funny too that the part you're on is the only part I've forgotten about ... oh and Leonardo DiCaprio is also in FF VII, in FF VII though his name is Rufus (no, I'm not kidding). You don't have to believe me now, just believe me when you see it for yourself. ;><P><B>Edit</B><P>Oh and I have to say that any jokes I make at FF VII's expense are because of the admiration I have for the game, that it actually got away with those things without even being subtle. It just adds to the whole Japanese flavour of it and what makes it even funnier is that there's a <I>very</I> good reason for each of the instances I wasn't kidding about above, which just makes you realize how different Japan is. ;><P>Though, anything supporting bestiality, gayness, cross-dressing and Science whilst still having a truly epic storyline is brilliant by me ... and of course, if anyone even dares to call the FF VII storyline contrived around me then I'll probably slice them up with the chainsaw that I swapped my left hand for a few weeks back whilst in a log cabin out in the forest ... or something.<P>I had to say that though because I'm most certainly not in the crowd that prefers the festering FF VIII over the brilliant FF VII.<p>[This message has been edited by SpiritWolf (edited 01-07-2001).]
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Sun Jan 07, 2001 11:22 am

You really shouldn't have asked me. Not only am I a walking database of every game I've played; able to tell you where to find every item imaginable but also ... I'm happy to dispense said knowledge!<P>Well, it happens after you've done a little cross-dressing and spent a night in with the duke-person of a town (no, I'm not kidding), you need to get all dressed up for that first. After that you question him on Shinra activities and well ... he tricks you into a trap and you end up in the sewers, you get back above ground and you learn of a way up to the giant "%@%!in' pizza" above you. Then you make your way to Shinra headquarters, the top floor there ... you'll find an experiment going on trying to mate a human girl with an animal (no, I'm not kidding), with a pervy Doc watching over ... and the animal turns out to be none other than ... Red XIII!<P>Of course, you may not even be as far as the cross-dressing bit yet and you may not even have met the transvestite wrestlers (no, I'm not kidding) or you probably haven't had the chance to test out the latest in make-up yet (no, I'm not kidding). Anyways, this'll all happen later on. That part of the game is really screwed up and I love it for it!
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Mon Jan 08, 2001 4:29 am

There's a moral here and it's either "SpiritWolf posts too damned much." or "No person is unpopular.", I think it's the latter Catz. ;>
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:27 am

One thing to say to that really; train more. ;><P>You have a save point a floor or two down where the health spar is, not only that but a bed that refreshes your health. Furthermore, the floor that Red XIII is on has loads of nice enemies to train against so you've got no excuse. Level up those guys! I tend to level up about four or five levels for every section ... after Red XIII I believe most of my characters were either near or past level 30.<P>Of course ... I'm an obsessive trainer, I'm funny that way but it sure helps when you get to the bosses, like Mr DiCaprio and his mutt. ;>
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Catman on Mon Jan 08, 2001 12:52 pm

man.. I never thought I would get over 30 replies to a topic..<P>------------------
Keep It Waggin
The Catman
Catman

Postby SpiritWolf on Wed Jan 17, 2001 6:42 am

That's <I>very</I> good considering you had no reference. The Native American style featherings could've been a tad more prominent but other than that I think it's veyr good ... and you didn't give him whiskers {mutter mutter} as most Red XIII artists annoyingly seem to do.
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Catman on Thu Jan 18, 2001 4:15 am

Well I dont know this Red XIII but Angie that is a GREAT sketch.. very impressive.<P>------------------
Keep It Waggin
The Catman
Catman

Postby Dubble on Thu Jan 18, 2001 12:20 pm

That's a great pic Angie! But he's kinda scaaaaaary ;)
Dubble
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Fri Jan 19, 2001 7:19 am

He's supposed to be. ;> I'd tell you why but I don't want to spoil the game for Ang.
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Mel on Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:26 am

Oh, like i have the money for a systme, a game, and the time to play? *L* Actually, i honestly don't think i'd even like it. RPGs have never done a thing for me.
Mel
Regular Poster

Postby Arno on Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:41 am

I still don't see why this good guy has to look this scary. Is it a beauty and the beast kind of thing? ;)<P>And Red XIII vs. Dakota! Who'd win!? ;)
Arno
Regular Poster

Postby Mel on Mon Jan 22, 2001 5:01 am

OK, it's ANGIE'S fault that two of the three places i hang out are now talking about FF, which i have never played in my life and thus i am COMPLETELY out of the conversations. *L* And with Roy in S8 THAT ends up on FF more often than not, too. Hmph. How much is Square paying you ppl, huh?!? ;)
Mel
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Mon Jan 22, 2001 11:48 am

Resistance is futile--er, that is to say, I have no idea what you're talking about!<P>FF VII is talked about most often though becasue it's probably one of the only few really classic Square RPGs, Square aren't reknowned for <I>brilliant</I> and innovative RPGs usually but FF VII was one such RPG, Chrono Trigger and FF IV were the only others I think though I might be missing one.<P>You should check those out though Mel because they have fantastic stories in them.
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Tue Jan 23, 2001 2:32 am

Well. It's time for me to be serious about something here a moment (Regenetics, bringing you a new breed of Pig ... with Wings!); I agree Arno (on the Beauty / Beast thing) and I think it has to be said that beauty (as are most things) is in the eye of the beholder. What most find scary I find beautiful or at the very least cute. There are very few things I see as ugly, just different kinds of beauty. So I never thought of Red XIII as anything less than warm and cuddly ... but then again, I seem to have some shining thing going on with talking animals. Either that or I'm just bitter that reality is so boring and I can't have a Tiger of the Wind.<P>Red XIII and Dakota? What, in a fight or a vanity contest? In a fight I'd say Red because of those limit breaks of his but in a vanity contest? Ooh, it'd be close. ;>
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby SpiritWolf on Wed Jan 24, 2001 4:23 am

{laughs!} That's very good Ang! The expression on Red's face is priceless, it's like "Who is he? Oh well, he's cute (in a lovably smarmy sort of way), I like him." which sums up his way of thinking to a tee.<P>You're right of course on the Vanity contest. How about a cooking contest? A kite-flying contest? Maybe a naked jello wrestling tournament? Those'd be interesting to see ... or maybe I should just quit whilst I'm ahead.<P><B>Edit</B> Originally I accidentally tabbed to the Clear button with this post and I knew I'd forgotten to say something and that was that that pic was so good I'm tempted to print it out, ink it, colour it with my wax pencils, scan it back in and use it as my desktop. ;><p>[This message has been edited by SpiritWolf (edited 01-24-2001).]
SpiritWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Arno on Thu Jan 25, 2001 10:23 am

*LOL* I'll forfait my usual 'I'll reply later' tendencies for this particular topic... That's great! Nothing like a little self-aware humour to make people laugh...
I think it'd be something I'd be tempted to ask. *L*<P>Oh, and contests? How about a catnip contest? Who can hold his catnip longest? ;)
Arno
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Dakota's Ridge