Strange whether we're having today??

Welcome to Alaska, leave your stereotypes at the door and read the "breast" comic around!

Strange whether we're having today??

Postby Irish Witch on Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:38 pm

Ok. This is really odd. On sunday we had an earthquake. For those of you living in earthquake area's I'll explain that there isn't an active fault line around the western seaboard of Australia. We've felt a tremor before but that was about 9 years ago and the quake happened over east. But that's not the wierd part....

Over the past few days the whether here has been getting gradually hotter and hotter. Yesterday the temperature cracked at about 48C(around 170F).... Just after an earthquake!

The Earthquake hit at about 8pm on sunday off the western seaboard and caused a tidalwave that hit most of the west coast - lifting many boats onto docks and beaching them. Including a mining tanker in my own town. Exactly 20hrs later people accross the midwest watched amazed as a long bank of pitch black clouds 2km thick passed overhead moving from inland currents and pushing the warm-front ahead of it on it's path out to sea. The immediate air temp after the cloud-band passed was about 18C (abour 45F).

Whether today (tuesday) is currently fine.
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Postby RavenxDrake on Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:55 am

Was it related to the Earthquake that hit Thailand etc?
Think the Unthinkable,
Do the Undoable,
"F" the Ineffable,
And Unscrew the Inscrutable.
RavenxDrake
Cartoon Hero

Postby Goddessmisca on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:15 am

Irish, you have no clue how happy I am to see you post.
"You know those things called "gamer girls" yes we exist, and I am one of them. If you could kindly stop worrying about your erection and pick up that controller so I can whip your ass I'd appreciate it."
naked pictures of Misca are going to be the new world currency when the tentacles take over. ~Squiddy
*suddenly wants a miscashake* ;) ~aeridus
Goddessmisca
Cartoon Hero

Re: Strange whether we're having today??

Postby Bluepanda13 on Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:03 am

Irish Witch wrote:Yesterday the temperature cracked at about 48C(around 170F).... Just after an earthquake!

Dear LORD Girl! 170*F is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too hot! I get Heat Stroke and die at 125*F!!

'course... that was before I was Alaska'ized.... Now, that temp has dropped to about 110*F.......
Bluepanda13
Regular Poster

Postby Irish Witch on Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:35 am

In response to all comments.

Raven: Yes. The tidal-wave we had here was in response to the tsunami (tidal wave) that devistated most of asia. The terian and atmospheric shift has effected nearly this whole side of the planet. Much of the world is now trying to assist the area effected although I didn't hear about the effect upon asia till a day or two after the post I made. I've been working to hard and haven't seen much news recently. That said the north of Aus was pretty bad hit too. Not so bad as asia was but still bad.

Misca: In about 8 hours I'll be on my day off (it's 030 right now) and I'm glad you missed me.. Hell I missed me. what time I haven't spent working I spent resting these last few days. I cant gaurentee what times or how often I'll be online for the next month or so.

Panda: *giggles maniacly* Australian whether has been deamed as the nastiest heat on the planet. It's completely different to anything you find anywhere else in the world. Where I am 140 - 170 F is pretty much standard for summer!
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Postby Toawa on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:22 am

Irish Witch wrote:The terian and atmospheric shift has effected nearly this whole side of the planet.

Actually, it affected the entire planet... The quake caused a shift in the distribution of matter in the planet, reducing its inertial mass, and thus causing its angular velocity to increase (to conserve angular momentum).

Basically, the day is now 3 microseconds shorter.

</uselesstrivia>
Toawa, the Rogue Auditor.
(Don't ask how I did it; the others will be ticked if they realize I'm not at their stupid meetings.)
Interdimensional Researcher, Builder, and Trader Extraordinaire
Toawa
Cartoon Hero

Postby Codebear on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:24 pm

i have only one question to ask there sweet sweet irish.... was there sightings of four men riding horses? id suspect them to be riding around in the cloud area.
"Lady look at me i dont know where i am half the time."
Codebear
Regular Poster

Postby Irish Witch on Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:49 am

Toawa wrote:
Irish Witch wrote:The terian and atmospheric shift has effected nearly this whole side of the planet.

Actually, it affected the entire planet... The quake caused a shift in the distribution of matter in the planet, reducing its inertial mass, and thus causing its angular velocity to increase (to conserve angular momentum).

Basically, the day is now 3 microseconds shorter.

</uselesstrivia>

Ok ok. That sentence sounded wierd to me to now I look back at it. Terian shift means the motion of the tectonic plates which (while ever shifting, dont usually move all that far). The amount of shift beneath the earth can be much higher than what is wittnessed at surface level because the plates dont necessarily go sideways. They can slide on top of or below each other as well.

Also, The shock wave as it moved out however was big enough to disturb all the whether patterns for several thousands of miles. Most quakes will only cause a small effect on the whether pattern if any.

Basically: This quake was a doosy!

Edit: Just though of a last minute note. Average terian shift is about a metre every 5 to 10 years. Only in earthquakes or volcanoes does it happen quickly. This shift is the equivenlent of picking up a moderately large city and dumping it in the ocean. Hence the tidal-wave!
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Re: Strange whether we're having today??

Postby Honor on Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:58 am

Irish Witch wrote:...Yesterday the temperature cracked at about 48C(around 170F)....

...The immediate air temp after the cloud-band passed was about 18C (abour 45F)....

First... I'm <b>so</b> happy you're ok, sweetheart. I'd hug you for an hour if I were closer to you.

Second... the formula for C to F is <b>F=(9/5)xC+30</b>

So 48C = 116.4F - which is still plenty hot, but not so hot that a human being would die within two to ten minutes exposure (as they would with 170F ;-) )

and 18C = 62.4 - Quite a radical shift...

I live in Arizona... Like you, we know hot. 116 isn't radical here, either.

*re-hug*

Gotta run.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...

The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com

Warning: Xenophile.
Honor
Cartoon Hero

Postby Irish Witch on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:32 pm

*writes that formula down*

I'll have to remember that equation it's certainly a good one when deeling with uncultured americans who dont know that there's ten toes on their feet

^ dont ask where I got that from, it related to some old show, some tripe about farenheight being developed while in the bath-tub!

oh, 48C is actually pretty much standard for our temperatures here during summer but honor: Youve never felt temperatures like the kind we have in aus. Our whether is completely different to most desert whether-systems. Some day I have to post an in-depth thingy about the Aussie whether system. It's funky and connected largely to the fact that most of Australias landmass is below sea level....
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Return to Burgundy Comics, Inc.