Welcome to Alaska, leave your stereotypes at the door and read the "breast" comic around!

Postby Irish Witch on Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:27 pm

Honor wrote:Which is Celtic?

umm... right. I think you're confusing "irish" with "celtic" here. The children of Halstadt reached from the Shetlands to India. The children of Erin reached, mostly, Boston.

I thought the best place for being drunk and disorderly is at the wedding of a friendly acquaintance... While trying to, a bit too publicly, seduce the bride.

In order...
1: The Celts were the old Clans of scottland, the Gheals the clans of Ireland... Most people think solely of the Celts because the Scotts are often the more public of the races. Not to mention the whole issue of the stone circles.

2: I actually dont know a lot about the the migratory, settling etc.... But I know that Ireland, scottland and England are close enough together for them to spread evenly into other western civilisations...

3: Oh yes... Weddings are the perfect place for all that but unfortunately I have no interest in the bride... Instead I just follow CJ's statement in a bygone comic: "Can I be the one you cheet with at the bachelor party?"
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Postby Captain Tylor on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:03 pm

I thought the Celts were pan-european for a while, with three groups as defined by language, two of which survive to day, the Q and the P groups.

They got driven west until they made their homes on the isles, then marginalized further with the Anglo-Saxons and the Norse.
I speak at http://tuorshead.blogspot.com/ but you don't have to listen.
If A equals success, then the formula is _A = _X + _Y + _Z. _X is work. _Y is play. _Z is keep your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein
Captain Tylor
Regular Poster

Postby Honor on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:26 pm

The celts did not originate in scotland, ireland, wales, cornwall, britian, england, or mars. The celts originated in the area that is now Halstadt Germany, in pre-roman times.

The area from which they originated was blessed with extensive salt deposits fairly near the surface, and they grew very rich and powerful on salt trade. From Halstadt, they expanded throughout europe, to include the brittish isles, and as far south and east as India.

Everywhere they went, they tended to mix and marry into local cultures, which is why so very many cultures still show traces of Celtic ancestry.

Scotland, incidently, is named for the Irish tribes (the Scots) who raided and later settled it, taking more and more land from the pictish tribes that were there before...
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...

The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com

Warning: Xenophile.
Honor
Cartoon Hero

Postby Irish Witch on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:24 am

If that informations correct then can I quote you on it?
I dont actually know a lot about my heratige (w/w being born in Australia) but I definitely want too!

Plus I know a scott who keeps lording it over me by saying that the scotts were at least based on the "Celtic people who lived and grew up in that regeon and not settlers like the Irish"

PLEASE provide me with proof so I can lord it over him instead :D
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Postby Honor on Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:31 pm

finding proofs and proper spellings... will edit this post when I'm done.

Celtic History & Origins:

BBC wrote:...The first references to a Celtic people are by Greek ethnographers in the fifth century BC who described them as a major ethnic group in Central and Western Europe. ...(emphasis added)

The correct spelling of the name of the villiage, now near Salzburg, is Halstatt (hal being celtic for salt, according to something I read somewhere. (some good links on that one, as well)

Also see the History of the Celts timeline on the BBC site.

Name of Scotland:

ScottishWeb wrote:...The name Scotland comes later with the arrival of the Irish people the Scotti after the departure of Rome...(emphasis added)
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Honor
Cartoon Hero

Postby Irish Witch on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:10 am

ScottishWeb wrote:...The name Scotland comes later with the arrival of the Irish people the Scotti after the departure of Rome...(emphasis added)

That explains why Munstar Irish and Scottish are so similar. The two languages probably have a common root!
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Postby Nithos on Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:21 am

That explains why Munstar Irish and Scottish are so similar. The two languages probably have a common root!

I think that root would be the potato.

*crickets chirp*

... puns are always a big hit.
Nithos
Regular Poster

Postby Honor on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 pm

Irish Witch wrote:That explains why Munstar Irish and Scottish are so similar. The two languages probably have a common root!

Exactly... Like the Welsh, Manx, and Cornish, both are extracted from the Gaels... Which are, presumably descended from Celts.

Honor
Cartoon Hero

Postby Irish Witch on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:18 am

Nithos wrote:I think that root would be the potato.

No, it was a carrot!
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Postby Infinity-Iz-Blue on Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:49 pm

Being a Briton, I can confidently say that you've pretty well worked it out between yourselves, so I'll add a little flesh to the bones that you've pieced together (although I've no reliable quotes to source from, so you'll have to trust me on this or not, it's up to you). The Original people of this island came here across the frozen expanses of the channel and north sea some 20,000 odd years ago. They were part of the root stock of all Homo Sapiens, the Cro Magnon man, and as such didn't have much in the way of ethnicity. During the time between then and the arrival of the Celts (Encompassing the last 10,000 or so years of the Paleolithic era, meaning 'Old stone age', the Neolithic, or 'New stone age', and some of what was the Bronze age on the mainland) they diversified into a number of lesser races, including the picts. The celts arrived from Bronze-age europe and quickly settled and intermarried until all but the Picts were indistinguishable from the Celts. During that time a tribe of Celts settled on Ireland. later, some of these people, The Scotti, doubled back on themselves and sailed onto mainland Scotland and continued the settling and absorbtion process there, until even the Picts were dissolved in Celtic blood.

Make of that what you will.
"OH, I'VE SEEN THE INFINITE, IT'S NOTHING SPECIAL."
"Don't be daft! you can't see the infinite, it's... infinite!"
"I HAVE."
"Ok then, what did it look like?"
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black."
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black!"
"FROM THE OUTSIDE IT'S BLUE..."
Terry Pratchett, 'Soul Music'
Infinity-Iz-Blue
Cartoon Hero

Postby Prettydragoon on Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:00 am

Infinity-Iz-Blue wrote:The celts arrived from Bronze-age europe

in La T
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
Prettydragoon
Cartoon Hero

Postby Peaches on Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:45 pm

Irish Witch and Honor wrote: Enough to give poor Peaches a headache.

That was... interesting, sorry I got this thread off on a tangent.

But speaking of being drunk online...
Peaches
Regular Poster

Postby CJBurgandy on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:28 pm

ok, Honor gets Props here today! A while ago, she sent me this cool avatar:
I think edited it a little to come up with:
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Postby Honor on Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:24 pm

Ooooh!! Mad props for the Burgundification of the icon! I love it! (just rolls off the tongue better than CJification (although I expect CJ would go very well on the tongue. ;-) ))

As a side note, the reason I sent CJ the icon, is because it's an actual old advertisement I found while I was making this icon for me... Also from an actual old advertisment.

When I saw the "in demand" ad, I immediately thought of CJ :-)

Honor
Cartoon Hero

Postby KittyKatBlack on Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:24 pm

I should check out these personal forums more often. I just get distracted easily. Anyway, just saying hi for the most part. But since people are talking about avatars, my current one:

Is a small clip from an ornament I made for the Keenmas Tree:

At any rate, love your stuff CJ, and glad to see you're so popluar. ^_^
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain

Postby CJBurgandy on Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:59 am

*big hugs for the kitty*

You know KKB, You're pretty popular too. Everytime you disappear from Keenspace, everyone mopes around that you're missing. ^_^
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Postby Kingofthemorlocks on Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:49 pm

Heritage: I am Scottish, Irish, Welsh, German, English and Italian, being mostly Italian/Scottish/Irish -- the combination of Celt-Gael blood with mediterranean, if Robert E. Howard has taught me anything, makes me a Pict.
Kingofthemorlocks
Cartoon Hero

Location: Morlock City, capital of the Morlock Underground Nation

Postby Honor on Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:05 pm

kingofthemorlocks wrote:...the combination of Celt-Gael blood with mediterranean, if Robert E. Howard has taught me anything, makes me a Pict.

*chuckles* So that's how it works... ;-)

Honor
Cartoon Hero

Postby Irish Witch on Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:23 am

kingofthemorlocks wrote:Heritage: I am Scottish, Irish, Welsh, German, English and Italian, being mostly Italian/Scottish/Irish -- the combination of Celt-Gael blood with mediterranean, if Robert E. Howard has taught me anything, makes me a Pict.

I'm Irish....

well actually I'm only about half Irish. I have strong irish blood on both sides of the family, mixed with scottish welsh and a streak or american. I tell people I'm 'roughy' half irish!
Irish Witch
Regular Poster

Postby Peaches on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Honor wrote:Ooooh!! Mad props for the Burgundification of the icon! I love it! (just rolls off the tongue better than CJification (although I expect CJ would go very well on the tongue. ;-) ))

Having a Y chromosome makes me feel left out. :cry:
Peaches
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Burgundy Comics, Inc.