News, Past and Present

News, Past and Present

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:36 am

News for 7.31.02 1:34AM Pacific Daylight Time

Okay, folks, here's the skinny:

I won't be putting news on the main site anymore. It's a waste of time and takes too much time to do updates that way. I will now be putting up a rant or an explanation of events INSIDE the Starship Moonhawk universe in the place of news.

All of the news (events I will be attending, things I've done, etc.) will all be posted here. They will be follow up posts to this thread, so please don't place responses to events here. Start a new thread or join another in the list, thanks!

Michael
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

Old News for July:

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:53 pm

Here's the news archive for July:

Today's News:

July 21, 2002 11:44PM, Pacific

Plans are going full steam ahead for the ComiCon International in San Diego! I will be there handing out flyers for any and all interested in getting on the Moonhawk Publishing bandwagon. My company will be producing an anthology series (To be named later) for unsung authors. Comics will be kept based on popularity votes from the web and snail mail. If you have a comic idea, and don't mind cheap printing processes (this ain't no collectors item, folks) then we want you. On a side note, I plan to try and get Milea up with some greater regularity. Scheduling is getting better at work, so I might try and belt out this bizzatch MWF like my Starship Moonhawk comic (http://www.starshipmoonhawk.com). The few loyal readers we have, REJOICE! A new comic is up... I'm on a roll, let's see if I can keep it up 'til the Con! SEE Y'ALL KEENSPACERS THERE! -Mike

July 10, 2002 1:34 am Pacific

And now something for the Badly Drawn Kitties fans! (Mat, I love your work, man. That is some funny s#!%!). NEW MONTH, NEW NEWS and there's a sh__laod. I want all of the people reading this to know that I had intended to do this comic on a more regular basis, but I transferred from tech to sales at my store and now I work ungodly hours. (Techs frequently get out at 9:45 pm at the latest and sales gets out around 11:00PM.) This has been eating all of my time as I no longer have that extra day off that I used to get, either. Anyway, this filler is a vacation shot I had planeed to run after the current story arc concluded, but I'm scaping the bottom of the barrel to get material up on the site that is relevant to the series even if it is setup/promo art. I sincerely hope to have some REAL CONTENT regarding the "Made in the USA" story arc I am currently writing. For anyone who wants to know more about the origins of Milea, the current page at the Starship Moonhawk website is the first time Milea appears in the series, so check that out. It updates M-W-F. I'm so far ahead on that story arc that you won't see filler for some time. Anyway, enough whining from me. New month and new opportunities. I plan on attending the ComiCon International when it hits San Diego on Aug 1~4 and I was thinking about going all 4 days this year so I can rub elbows with the Keenspotters! Look for me there. I'm the slightly overweight (although I've lost 10 pounds and plan to lose more since hitting the floors again) red-headded guy NOT wearing the Best Buy shirt! In the interim, furry fans rejoice! We have some nice Milea PR0n for you my first gesture now that I am on the Keen Tails dropdown! WOOHOO!!!! *Thanks Guys!* ^_^ On a final note, the comic I have decided is a bit randier than I had ORIGINALLY intended *heh* so I have modified the rating accordingly. Just so we are clear, this doesn't mean that the comic is completely unsuitable for those under 17 all the time, but I don't really want to chance any parent groups coming after me... -.-. Plus Amber's Pandas have been updated, so I had to be the first Keenspacer to start using her updated ones! -Michael

July 5, 2002 1:28 am Pacific

Fillerffffffilllllllllleeerrrrrr! I know, everyone hates filler. I had to put something up for this week, so I thought I would at least pimp the cover for my new e-novel. In the picture above going clockwise starting at the top left we have the assassin Shadowmask, followed by none other than Admiral Gilliad Cobalt; in the lower right we have Lt. Rachael Harrison giving Commandr Sorthac a friendly elbow to the ribs. At lower right, we see the First Officer, Captain Neriah Solis (she's an admiral the books later in the chronology) standing next to Cheif Engineer Ishido Kamazaki. In the background, we can see Spectre F505 fighters circling the massive Starship Moonhawk itself. For more swashbuckling space adventure, pay a quick visit to http://www.stonegarden.net and download the book for yourself. It is my last free one. I hope to have more time next week to work on Milea, lest some angry fan shoots me first. YIPE!

June 29, 2002 1:56 am Pacific

New comic up last night! (WooHOO!!) Plus, I now have a forum in the Keenspace forums. Use the link above, or click here to post me!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News Update: July 31/Aug 1, 2002

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:00 pm

So here it is! The new news! And no news is good news, right? WRONG!!!

I'm all jazzed up about the ComiCon. The price is high, but this year I will be attending as a guest all four days! WOOHOO!! My goal is to have two more Milea comics out this week and Starship Moonhawk: The Zendosian Connection is plugging along right on schedule! (wonders never cease! :-? )

What I plan to put in the empty space under the comic will be a synopsis and explanation of what is currently happening. A recap, if you will. I still want peoples to read the comic though, so it will be fairly generic. I hope to get some posts soon to hear about what everyone thinks.

In the meantime, I appologize for being the only one to post in my own forum, but it seems the most convenient way to pass along the info.

See you out there in cyberspace!

Michael
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

Newsnewsnewsoftheworld!!!!!!!!!

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:16 pm

August 8, 2002 11:59pm Pacific

Wheeee! I got the Thursday comic up at 11:58Pm on Thursday, so technically I didn't miss an update! *pelted with tomato paste cans*

Yes, folks, I skipped the Tuesday update 'casue I was still lounging around after spending four glorious days pimping Milea at the Con. Special thanks to all of the Keenspacers and Spotters that have replyed to my e-mail about the gallery. I enjoyed meeting you all in person!

This is my last even for this year, I would surmise. I don't have the funds to travel and I'll finally be moving out of my folks house within the next 60 days, so no more loser me! WOOHOO!!!! Plus I'm ditching DSL in favor of Cable. DSL sux.

I'm really trying to work around my crappy work schedule and this coming week I'm working (read: scheduled) 46.5 hours to work, so I may not be inking my next three pages or so. I drew the last page last night in an hour (I'm sure the Q-Lity shows), but it took me 2 hours to ink it tonight. Anyway, enough bitching about work. If anyone wants to collaborate on artwork, I need a clean, Robotech/Macross inspired Anime stylle for Milea. Post me, or E-mail me, or even ICQ me. Maybe we can work something out... or I may just keep plugging along. I love drawing, but I also want to produce a quality storyline and wwriting AND doing this caliber of art every tiime takes it's toll. Enough about that.

Enjoy the new comic, and look forward to something color in the near future... I'm feeling ambitious!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News for November 10, 2002!!!!!!!

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:39 pm

YEAH!!!! I'm back! I have my new pad figured out, I have all my PC hardware set up again... I'm READY TO ROCK! Whew... gotta stop yelling. The neighbors are banging on the walls. Some of you may have noticed that the site has been redesigned... I wish I could say due to reader response, but no feedback yet. Bah.. no worries. We're just getting started here. 11 strips and at least, what? Five fillers, now? The newest feature is the image mapped pic of Milea in the side column. (Yea, or boo?) I SWEAR! I am working on three new pages right now and have finally settled into a schedule at work that I can work with. Promotion and raise helps, too. I finally found my stylus for my drawing tablet too, so that means that retouching my comics will go faster too. anyway, enough blabbing... Hope to have the new strips starting Tuesday and I'll see if I can maintain a T-Th-Saturday schedule... except for the day after Thanksgiving... I'll be dead. We in retail call that "Black Friday" becasue it will be standing room only in the store where I work. =Whimper= Anyway, see you out there and be looking for my submission to the Keenime Frickeen Cold Winter page! (Think Milea in a parka and nothing else... BRRRRR!) PEACE OUT!!!!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News: Nov 17, 2002 2:34am

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:39 am

Just a small update:

I'm adding a new section to the comic site, set to go live on Saturday 11/23. At that time, new side plots will be revealed in mini novel form. The'll be like short stories consisting of one scene. While these sequences are not crucial to the main plotline, they7 are simply meant to enhance the experience by giving some background details. Haven't you ever watched a show, or read a book where supporting characters disappear behind closed doors, out of sight of the main character, and said to yourself... hmmm, what happened to them? No longer will these behind the scenes sequences go untold! Plus, it will guarantee that new material will appear on the site on a regular basis, since I can spew out a chapter of a book hella faster than I can draw a comic page. (15 minutes, if I think about it for a week versus 6 hours each page... much better odds!) Anyway, see you on the site. I SWEAR ON MY MOTHERS EYES THAT I WILL HAVE AN UPDATE SOON. :o
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News for November 20, 2002

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:12 am

12:05 AM

New comic up! YAY!!!!!!!

Going for T-th-Sat for the update schedule. Keep your fingers crossed... 'casue I'd actually like to get to relevent story material soon.

Also, watch this space for the Saturday special updates. They officially are slated to launch on 11/23, so don't shreik at the 404 error yet. I will be posting mini-novel updates to cover the background events. Should be interesting.

See ya in Hyperspace! :wink:
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News November 24, 2002

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:45 am

It's Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!! ....and I have to work. BAH!

Well, I succeeded in getting two comics up as well as the first of the "sidestory" chapters up. Make sure to click the link at the top of the page to read it!

Next week we'll see if I can manage to get three comics up and start a new tradition! And, as always, look for the sidestory update on Saturday... I'm not sure if there will be one every week, so check back often.

Oh, and on a fianl note... I've changed my mind. Post here, post anywhere... just post! I can't make the comic better if I don't hear from the readers! @_@
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News for December 5, 2002! W00t!

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:40 am

And yes, there is news to report! Let's get to it:

FInally, I have a decent spread of comics going... and None of it is pre-scripted. I knew from the start how this story was going to go from beginning to end, but each page goes up within 24 hours of completing it, so none of it is pre loaded. I'm on a roll and have done 4 pages in the last two weeks. For those who haven't been following this thread, I was shooting for a T-Th-Sat schedule or at least an update on at least ONE of those days. I'm making progress. At least now I'm updating on a weekly basis.

Next: I think I may have the next Starship Moonhawk novel already planned! I was going to do this side story thing with background plots every other Saturday, then this morning while driving to work I had this idea hit me...BAM! What if the next Starship Moonhawk book was the other side of THIS story? In other words, I would retell this story from the perspective of the SM crew, thus keeping the continuity intact. I had a couple of posts in a different thread suggest that I make the back story a bit clearer. So, pretty wild, eh? Of course, I still have another novel in the works, and I have to complete the graphic novel.... damn details. Post me with ideas. I plan to keep both storylines rolling along. Oh, which reminds me.. I finished part one of SM: The Zendosian Connection. You can see it at my other site. (http://www.starshipmoonhawk.com) Last page of that part goes up 12/13... so read it then go see Star Trek: Nemesis. :o

That's it for now. Don't fall asleep. I'll communicate again!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News, Blah, I'm lazy... yeeehaw!

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:43 pm

I'll try to have a "late" Saturday page up, but it looks like it will be up on Sunday instead. Blah. Side story project is being sh**-canned in favor of a new Starship Moonhawk novel due out sometime next year. Ideally, I'd like to have the book done in time for the Comic Con in July, but I may be dreaming. Still got the graphic novel and the comic itself as well as two other stories I need to finish before that. Yarg!

Hmmm. why was I posting again????

Oh, yeah... I'm scripting the next segment of the story. Should have done it MONTHS ago, but My job is not only full-time, but erratic hours. I hate retail. Anyway, I need to get back to work on it so I can start uploading comics again. Late!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

Poll

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:56 pm

Oh, and please vote in the poll. Some of the characters haven't been introduced yet, but they will be soon. TRUST ME! (. .)
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

December 10, 2002

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:04 pm

One a week, that's all we ask for consistency, right?

Okie dokie.

New comic is up, and I'm experimenting with Photoshop once again! YEAH! I finally found where the flood fill tool was hiding and used it to do some background coloring. FINALLY I won't have to destroy another gray pencil shading the backgrounds. Plus I figured out how to make elipses... just couldn't figure out how to draw tails on the speech balloons and still get the comic up before the end of the day for Tuesday. Feh, I say. Feh!

If I can't figure it out soon, I may just go back to hand drawing them in before I add the text. =SIGH= I don't really want to do that, 'cause then it restricts my drawing options. Anyway, that's it for now. Don't forget to vote in the poll (even tho some of the characters haven't been introduced yet... PATIENCE!) Yak @ ya next update. PEACE OUT, YO!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

Something I should have said long ago.

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:27 pm

I have received a number of posts in other forums pertaining to the fact that my comic is hard to follow. Here is a list of what you need to know to decipher the riddle!

First: The Adventures of Milea (or just Milea) is based on a series of science fiction novels I write under the title of Starship Moonhawk. SM follows the adventures of Admiral Gilliad Cobalt and his intrepid crew as they defend the United States Alliance in the 30th century. The current chronology is as follows-
1) Inside Outsider - third in production, but first story chronologically
2) The Death of Perseus - The First Starship Moonhawk Adventure
3) How to Steal A Starship - My first "big" novel. Saw 85 downloads in it's first month.
4) The Admiral's Daughter - 200 pages if it were in paperback. Follows a special side story involving Cobalt's youngest Human daughter, Skye. Admiral C appears in it as well as Rachael Harrison.
5) Square Peg in a round Hole - I'm currently writing this one. 8 months on the word processor, and the story is stalled. *BAH!*
6)The Zendosian Connection - A graphic webnovel I am writing. Here, Milea is introduced and it is also the story of how she and her father meet. Mystery/intrigue abound. (In Progress @ http://www.starshipmoonhawk.com)
I have outlines for 4~5 other novels that take place in between Square Peg and Zendosian Connection, but no work on them yet. They follow other characters in the SM lineup and have no DIRECT influence on Milea. (relevant to overall story, but independent character development.)
Second: In order to read my novels, you need to go here - http://www.stonegarden.net. Be warned, the first three are free, but starting with The Admiral's Daughter, they cost $$$. Sorry, gotta pay the rent.

Anyway, most of the books are pretty fast reads, and I think the stories are complex enough to be interesting without beating you over the head with hidden meaning. Read them and then let me know. Part 2 of The Zendosian Connection may be delayed until after the holidays as that is the most hectic time of year for us mopes in retail. *baka regular job!*

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.

~Michael
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News for December 18. 2002 -Late Update

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:46 am

I admit it: The only reason for my late update this time was pure laziness. I beg forgiveness. (seriously.) Maybe my New Years resolution will be to update on time...............
However, at least now, I seem able to update TWICE a week. Fair warning: Thursday's page will also most likely be late. Reason: I am closing Wed and opening Thurs, so the Thursday page will either go up Thursday night, or Friday afternoon. I'm going to request some vacation time in January to actually get AHEAD pages, so there's no more of this insipid update nonsense. The only way to gain continued readership is through consistent updates, right?

*passes out from exhaustion*
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

No news is good news?

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:11 am

Only one thing to report:

I have a new banner! One I ACTUALLY SPENT TIME ON!!! ~WAI!!!~

Okie dokie. :roll: New comic going up on Thursday evening... I MEAN IT NOW! Don't make me come over there... okay, that's it!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

No News is Good News... Right?

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:02 am

Saturday.

At my job, this is the worst day of the week, and the best. It goes fast, but you have to talk to a million-cajillion people. ACK!!!

Late update, but as you may have read, that was planned. On the upside, two updates a week for two straight weeks means I'm on a roll. My commitment to the reader is to keep doing it. Maybe expand it to Saturday or something. I plan to have something... anything, up before Christmas Eve, 'cause that would be my regular Tuesday update. We'll see.

That's it for tonight... peace! :)
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News News~!

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:50 pm

Milea's on Christmas Hiatus. So actually, I didn't miss an update. I couldn't get the forums to update. Sorry folks. Milea will return on Tuesday to reveal some real plot for a change. WOOHOO! No more setup! YES!!!

Merry X-Mas and see you all then!

Michael
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

Cleaning House

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:45 pm

Hello, and welcome to another chapter of "This Old Starship." In today's episode, we will discuss how Mike finally cleaned out the archive, so people can read The Adventures of Milea from the beginning without all of the annoying fluff! YEA! NO MORE FILLER!!!

Yes, I finally cleaned the filler strips out. Seeing as how I now have 19 completed pages and several more on the way, I decided that the filler was no longer necessary. I amy add the pages back as some kind of art gallery pieces or something, but not right away. I may try rescanning the originals for better resolution or something. Anyway...

...new strip on Tuesday, even if someone has to get hurt to get it done!

Peace out!
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

Cheetos Good, Late Updates... BAD!

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:41 pm

As I sit here eating my favorite puffed corn and cheese flavored snack, I am reminded once again about my responsibility to the reader.

Strip #20 was not really what I had envisioned for this scene. I admit that now, freely and without reservation. I had meant to have introductions and formal banter, but the page became abreviated on purpose.

Here's the reason: This was turning into a Starship Moonhawk story, and not focusing enough on Milea and crew. I made a conscious decison mid sketch to change the whole flow of the comic. More Milea, less Adm. Cobalt from here on out. It should make better sense soon enough. Just had to derail the plot briefly to get it on track again. (Just trust me on this one.) Plus, it will make for greater differentiation between storylines when I release the Starship Moonhawk novel version later this year.

Anyway, that's it for the first day of 2003. Hang in there with us, I plan not to disappoint.
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

News Archive

Postby Admiral Gilliad Cobalt on Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:50 pm

News for 12/31/02
Last day of 2002!!! Neat! So here goes. I've decided to start putting news on the main site. A Co-worker of mine told me how to keep the placement of objects on my site straight by using tables, but I had to fill up this unused cell! Since I
Admiral Gilliad Cobalt
Regular Poster

Next

Return to The Adventures of Milea