I would respect this comic much more...

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12015 on Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:00 pm

Worthless-Online wrote:Must be illegal to think independently around here...

I don't believe it's a matter of being allowed to think independently, but consider how you might feel if some assmonkey came into your forum with snide comments and suggested you were unoriginal or had ripped something off? There's a hundred different ways you might have said what you need to say, and I can't say the one you chose particularly engenders Indy to wanting to give you a warm welcome.

The fact is: You're a complete fucking moron, and I'm just glad you've identified yourself. I don't know what it is about you roving dickless bitches that pop into forums or comics and leave schmucky comments like that. I could give a fuck about a little bit of yank spooge as yourself and the comic you rode in on.

An intelligent person might have had some manners and tact, but you are obviously quite lacking in that department. Now why don't you take your little worthless, video game playing momma's boy bullshit self down the road.
ZOMBIE USER 12015
Regular Poster

Postby Worthless-Online on Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:30 pm

Grim Fandango, Land of the Dead, A Skeleton named Manny Calevera

Hotel Grim, Land of the Dead, A Skeleton named Dods Calevera.

If you can't understand why I made a connection, you're probably a fucking retard. I mean SERIOUSLY a retard. Down-Syndrome, Mongaloid. RETARDED.

I actually was UNDER THE IMPRESSION that it was some kind of take off of the Grim Fandango world and I assumed he was just hoping people didn't KNOW about it. I thought HE was in the wrong.

HE and others CORRECTED me. They explained to me what the deal was. How was I supposed to know that there was a "HOTEL GRIM" <I>in</I> his hometown?!

If everyone is unable to see the incredible fucking coincidence here, then my faith in the human race has <I>disappeared</I>. I truly believe that it IS a coincidence now, but I was not <I>wrong</I> to call him on it. They've explained it to me and I'm done. Calm down, WreckedHead, before you have a heart attack by the age of twelve.

<I>An intelligent person might have had some manners and tact, but you are obviously quite lacking in that department.</I>

That has nothing to do with intelligence, but right--I do lack in that department.

<I>Now why don't you take your little worthless, video game playing momma's boy bullshit self down the road.</I>

What a clever fucking manipulation of the English language, give yourself a medal.

The problem is solved! I'm honestly leaving! I'm sure you did come up with these ideas independently. But if people continue to make hilariously stupid comments like the above mentioned, I will defend myself.
Ben Moore of Worthless-Online
Worthless-Online

Postby Kevin Wolf on Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:12 pm

Worthless-Online wrote:Grim Fandango, Land of the Dead, A Skeleton named Manny Calevera

Hotel Grim, Land of the Dead, A Skeleton named Dods Calevera.

If you can't understand why I made a connection, you're probably a fucking retard. I mean SERIOUSLY a retard. Down-Syndrome, Mongaloid. RETARDED.

I had actually made this same connection myself months ago, but you know what I didn't do? I didn't come screaming into Chris's forum accusing him of ripping off a video game. Instead, I looked at the evidence, realized there was little to no significant similarity between the two products, and wrote it off as either A) a happy coincidence or B) an example of taking ONE TINY ELEMENT from a previously-published work and running off with it in a COMPLETELY DIVERGENT DIRECTION.

However, from what I know of Chris from haunting this forum is that if he truly had been inspired by "Fandango", he would have owned up to it by now.

If your post had said something like, "Hey, I've noticed some similarity between your comic and 'Grim Fandango'. Was the game an inspiration for the comic?" I'm certain you would have received a warmer welcome. Instead, you took an aggressive, accusitory, know-it-all stance.

You ripped on Keda for not being able to speak intelligently on this issue without having played "Grim Fandango", but have you read the entirety of the "Hotel Grim" archives, or did you just see a skeleton in a tux and start screaming plagiarism?

Compounding our frustration is that "Hotel Grim" is one of the few truly original and unique comics on the web in that it doesn't appear to have taken its stylistic cues from any of the big guys. "Hotel Grim" might not be the funniest, most nicely-drawn, or most intelligent webcomic in the world, but it's certainly one of the oddest.

You'll pardon me if I mention that I saw nothing in your strip that distinguished it from 90 percent of the most popular comics on-line? I'm not pretending I'm the guru of originality, (Mythocorp's inspirations are myriad and have been spelled out elsewhere), but if Chris is a black kettle, then you, sir, are an equally black pot.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero

Postby Worthless-Online on Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:25 am

<I>but if Chris is a black kettle, then you, sir, are an equally black pot.</I>

How so? Our strip is completely original, in that everything that happens, other than the more fantastic things, have actually happened to us. The only way it's similar to those other comics is that they base their characters on themselves and so do we. Beyond that, how have we copied anyone? It's just a tale of seven highschool students who get caught up in crazy and fantastic things that some times border on sci-fi and fantasy. We don't cater to any entertainment medium (videogames, movies, music).

Something you should NEVER be accused of is stealing your own life...I don't think it's possible.

<I>However, from what I know of Chris from haunting this forum is that if he truly had been inspired by "Fandango", he would have owned up to it by now.</I>

How would that make it clear to me? How would I know it?

<I>If your post had said something like, "Hey, I've noticed some similarity between your comic and 'Grim Fandango'. Was the game an inspiration for the comic?" I'm certain you would have received a warmer welcome. Instead, you took an aggressive, accusitory, know-it-all stance. </I>

So you're angry about HOW I said it and not what I said? Because that is what I said, even if it was a bit more harsh. That's just how I am, I was born that way, and I'm not going to change. DISCRIMINATION!

I haaarrdly think if I would have taken to a lighter tone, I would have recieved a much lighter response. I don't know what it is, something just makes me doubt it...

<I>You ripped on Keda for not being able to speak intelligently on this issue without having played "Grim Fandango", but have you read the entirety of the "Hotel Grim" archives, or did you just see a skeleton in a tux and start screaming plagiarism?</I>

1. I didn't "rip" on anyone, sir. 2. I've read more than thirty strips, and that's more than I can say for her. She hadn't even <I>heard</I> of GF. 3. I wasn't screaming anything--the style, the theme, etc. was similar, and I figured it was a take-off.
Ben Moore of Worthless-Online
Worthless-Online

Postby KedaDibandion on Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:19 am

Worthless wrote:So you're angry about HOW I said it and not what I said? Because that is what I said, even if it was a bit more harsh. That's just how I am, I was born that way, and I'm not going to change. DISCRIMINATION!

Um...yes, I have made it one of the main purposes in my life to discriminate against stump-fucking retards. Thanks for helping me fulfill that dream.
Something is currently <a href= "http://polygonreports.keenspace.com">HERE</a>.
KedaDibandion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Indybuda on Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:35 am

Worthless... absolutely worthless.

Kevin's point is that you are obviously inspired by a certain style of comic.

And quite frankly, a lighter tone would have definitely gotten a lighter response. If you look at my initial response, it wasn't all that defensive to begin with, I explained things and thanked you for calling me a plagiarist.

Your refusal to acknowledge that I might be telling the truth and your adamant supposition that I was lying is wha tstarted gathering the insults.

You did rip on Keda. You said her opinion is invalid which it isn't. Another thing you didn't know is that she's my girlfriend, so fuck you.

You said that you were "honestly leaving" and then didn't. Again, thanks for being so classy. There are other comments you've made that I'd like to comment on. But you know what? I'm walking away.

Let's all treat this as a locked topic. If you can't... then I WILL consider it an act of WAR. I've been polite so far. Don't push me.
Hotel Grim!Just your typical everyday in Purgatory.
Indybuda
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Hotel Grim