Night Shift--opinions solicited here.

Night Shift--opinions solicited here.

Postby Prankster on Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:13 pm

OK.

Of the various projects I've got going right now, the one I'm easily least passionate about right now is Night Shift. And personally, I feel like it's starting to affect my output. And yet, I'm still getting people tell me how much they like it, including a guy who, just a day or two ago, told me it was "better than ever". It certainly seems to be more frequently-visited than ASR, though it may be sorta tied with Pogo Stick.

Anyhoo. I don't want to let people down, so I'm going to open up the floor to discussion. I don't want to END Night Shift, but I was toying with a sabbatical. A month or two, maybe. And not anytime soon--I still have plotlines dangling. Maybe in the new year. But I'm starting to feel like the strip is sliding, and will continue to do so unless I put it on the back burner for a while.

I really am a scatterbrain. I get excited about whatever it is I'm NOT doing. So to be honest, I'd rather be doing ASR, Freak U. and another strip/graphic novel I've been chewing over (and overseeing Pogo Stick) without five new Night Shifts a week getting in my way. NS is *easily* the hardest to write...both ASR and Freak U have some very twisty plotlines planned, but I'm BREEZING through them. No sweat. But coming up with five punchlines a week is murder.

So, would you be crushed if NS took a vacation? More to the point, would you stop visiting the site? I *could* keep on with Night Shift, I just don't want it to suffer in comparison with my snazzy new ideas.
Prankster
Regular Poster

Postby Prankster on Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:00 pm

Wow. Thank you, Opal. I've actually heard a fair amount back from people since I posted this missive, though, obviously, not so much in this forum. I've quickly realized that, the more positive feedback I hear--especially from people who don't already have a stake in webcomics, like yourself--the more I do want to continue onwards with it.

The main problem has to do with getting strips done. I often sweat blood over a strip I have to get done for next day, knowing that I'm going to have to repeat the process the next night. But writers' block is just a part of life, really. I was just worried, as I say, that it was starting to show in the quality of the work.

But apparently I'm just nuts, since no one has sent me a message saying, "Hey, the strip sucks lately!"

Actually, it's been coming a bit more easily these days, and I'm hoping I can build up more and more of a backlog...I actually have a huge ASR backlog (well, two weeks' worth of strips) which I feel is a real accomplishment, since the further in advance I am of that strip, the better it looks, whereas I can grind out a NS strip in ten minues (art-wise, that is).

The storylines and the funny have been flowing more easily lately, so with any luck I can get really far ahead, like a month, and then take a break from it to work on other things. I think that at this point, the sabbatical will probably come, but it'll just be a couple of weeks, and that probably over the holidays, when viewership is down anyway.

Thanks again for writing, just hearing from people like you make me want to keep going.
Prankster
Regular Poster

Return to Webcomix