Looking for an Editor.

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Looking for an Editor.

Postby Koi on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:23 pm

First.. I have no idea if this is the right forum. There is nowhere saying to ask for an editor, and this seems to be the only place to ask for help with your comic and not the actual site itself. If this is the wrong forum, please PM me and I'll delete this thread.

Basically... I want to put a web comic out there, but I'd like someone I can discuss the idea with and they can go over my manuscripts. Give me advice, or help me research trends... My art isn't the best, but I want to do this to make my art better. Basically, get practice. I want to get a second opinion on my story ideas and character art.. So yeah, I guess this is like an actual editor. Maybe someone who isn't afraid to call me a lazy idiot and to keep my deadlines o-o; ...Hmm.. this sounds more like a baby sitter. I will not reveal plot ideas, and I want the editor to be over 18. Younger people will be considered, however I would appreciate someone older and wiser than I. This is going to be a Gag Comic, and I might think about submitting it for an international competition hosted by one of Japan's prominent grown up weekly comic magazines.. So it'd be nice if the person wasn't American so I could make sure the comedy translates culture wise.

Anyway, here are some examples of my art.

Koi

Re: Looking for an Editor.

Postby CMikeNIke on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 pm

First, I will say that I am willing to help you out, provide editor-esque role. But I do have some questions that might draw in more potential applicants.

How much say would the editor in question have? For example, your self-imposed schedule begins to slip, there's not much that an editor can do to enforce it. I assume you're going to be pretty open to criticism of art and story, to an extent, and provided it's constructive.

Also, hypothetically speaking, should the project take off and become profitable, how does ownership and rights come into it?If your looking for character and writing help, if you're not careful who owns what could be an issue. So state right off the bat how it's going to be, but don't be surprised if people are less interested or not as enthusiastic in the job if there's no real say or potential for gain. That being said, most people understand that web comics are a "for fun" endeavor, and being upfront about it is just the best policy.

More info given ahead of time, the fewer headaches for all involved later.

[edit]- Upon second look, I might not have the time to help, depending on how much you would want done. Lemme know the amount and when you plan on doing all this, though, as it could be possible.
CMikeNIke
Regular Poster

Postby Wendybird on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:50 am

I might have the time to do this. I have 2 other projects where I have this kind of role and some responsibility for the execution. I would love to try a project where I get to do the thinking and not the work.

But in my experience, sometimes this kind of thing works, and sometimes people just can't get along or don't have compatible ideas. So I am somewhat tentative.

Anyway, it would be nice to know more. If you want you can email me at qwanderer7 @ gmail.com
Wendybird
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:59 am

I see you're getting some responses, if you want, post in this thread, that's the place where people usually go for collaboration.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Kyle Jacobs on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:10 am

I might be interested if you'd be willing to look over some of my scripts in return.
Kyle Jacobs

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks