Engrish and panels

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Engrish and panels

Postby Odracoon on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:48 am

Can I still get hosted if I half speak english? Because some times people dont understand what I say in english... are you understanding me now? :S

Also, I would like to know if there is some sort of tutorial for paneling. I find it a quite hard subject. Like, I know this panel has to go somewhere, but it cant go somewhere that is already occupied(I think its one of newton laws or something :P) that makes me feel a little restrained to a size and forces me to search for a orderning that balances the meaning of the panels with its general organization.

ktnxbai.
Odracoon

Re: Engrish and panels

Postby Mangaka2170 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:37 am

I'm not an authority on the subject, but I don't see why language would be an issue. I myself use Japanese from time to time in my comic, (although the comic itself is primarily in English) and I haven't gotten any flak from that (although low readership might have something to do with it).

I don't know of any paneling tutorials, but I suppose it all depends on how you're doing your panels in the first place. I do all my layout and drawing on paper with pencil, pen and marker, then I scan it into my computer and edit with Photoshop as appropriate. Especially in my earlier pages, I've discovered this tendency of mine to have a small panel overlap a large one, and I think it works out just fine.

Some people use Adobe Illustrator or Manga Studio for their layout, and with that you have to put up with the limitations of the program, whatever they might be (I don't use either, so I wouldn't know).
My webcomic, Frontier: 2170 (updating daily until Stage 02, then every Tuesday and Friday).

Stage 01 now available in ebook format (now you can read 2170 while offline!) http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/frontier-2170-easy-street-part-1/12295505
Mangaka2170

Re: Engrish and panels

Postby CMikeNIke on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 am

Panels can be difficult to layout panels early on, and most of the key ideas will come out with practice, but that's not what you want to hear. While these are mostly American comic books, that's because that's what I know. I hope it's still applicable for whatever you want to do.
I would recommend looking at Jack Kirby's layouts, look through his work to see what gets the focus. There's really a reason he's called "King". Wally Wood was also good at individual panels being clear in what they want to convey. This is a quick reference for ideas for panels that, as said, always work.

Here is a quick reference for what I think your looking for, and talks about focus of pages. Actually, that site has a number of page breakdowns and analysis. I have only recently found it, so I can't really say on how effective it is when first developing those traits, but it's still a fascinating read.

This is similar to the other, though I don't think she stresses enough that in the beginning keep it SIMPLE. Don't overdo your initial efforts with fancy borders and crazy layouts. The Innerspace link talks about panel size variation and borders and it's quite good.

I've read that a lot of comic editors and artists swear to never break the panel borders, or if you do, only break the borders to emphasize something of great importance, and do so sparingly. I tend to agree, and in my own comics, have not reached a comfort level to break borders effectively, so I avoid the whole thing.

Look up on Youtube a set of videos called Comic Book Greats, especially the Todd Macfarlane set, and the Jim Lee ones. Also, there is a set of videos with some of the highest profile Daredevil creators, and especially the John Romita (Sr. and Jr.) and Joe Quesada are good for some layout ideas.

(Edit) - I forgot to mention, but if you're willing to spend money on your craft, to pick up Klaus Jansons DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics, which is a wonderful book. I bought it, and I have no regrets whatsoever. It doesn't really cover page layout, but talks about black and whites and how they affect how you see the page.

I hope this helps, and trust me, eventually you'll figure it out. You'll just notice what works, what should get the focus on the page, how to pace it. As for language, it shouldn't matter, really. If the story gets through I don't think people will mind if you're kind of rusty with words.
CMikeNIke
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks