Need help building comic character

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Need help building comic character

Postby pheanix on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Hey guys, first time poster, appreciate all the help I recieve and will do my best to be an active member in this forum and give my advice as well.

The character's name is Motivation Man. He is supposed to be a solider like/ inspiring/ fearless, courageous hero that helps guide people in life and motivate them to action. I am really trying to not do the obvious and get really deep and creative about developing this character. But I'm hitting a creative block.

Does anyone have any suggestions on details for how this character should look. I'll start it off...

-Bright burning sun on his chest where his heart is? This represents his will to live and the light he brings to the dark periods in life.

-His face and arms needs to be scarred to show his past struggles and obstacles he had to endure. But any suggestions on a prominent, bold battle wound? Like a robotic arm, glass eye, half metal face, etc.

-His armour is rainbow coloured? Rainbows symbolize beauty and sunshine after a rainy storm. Maybe he shoots rainbow beams of light?

-He has a bright red rose growing out of his dull, metal helmet?

-There are beams of sunlight sketched on his helmet?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much :)!!
pheanix

Re: Need help building comic character

Postby inthebetween on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Motivation Man wearing a dull metal helmet? I THINK NOT!!!
Maybe really shiny armour that where it hits the light right it shines like a rainbow (because that makes sense)? I mean, instead of it looking white in some places, there's a rainbow? If you get what I'm trying to say?
Maybe Motivation Man could be flat out missing a limb. He has no leg, but he hobbles around at lightning speed with the help of a snazzy crutch? He seems to forget he only has one leg till someone brings it up, because it he never lets it affect him?
I like the idea of a bright burning sun on his heart. And for some reason the red nose could work. Like all his optimism is giving himself a cold.
For curiosity's sake, is this going to be an actual person, or a figment of a character's imagination?
inthebetween

Re: Need help building comic character

Postby pheanix on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:05 am

Hey thanks for the reply. Those ideas are great. I was thinking of giving the character butterfly wings (buterflys represent transformation of stages and the enduance of struggle) and a big stinger horn coming out of his helmet, symbolizing that he "floats like a butterfly, but stings like a bee". I was thinking a tree stump for his wooden leg.. but instead of a normal wooden leg, this one has leaves growing around it, symbolzing a tree (the tree of strength and life). I was also thinking of giving him the half man/ half warrior look (half flesh with cuts and wounds and half shiney armour)

And to answer your question, this is going to be a real human with armour and imaginary features, as if the character was given godlike abilities and is a godsend. At the same time I want to make him look realistic as well.
pheanix

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks