A legal comic - scope for humour?

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

A legal comic - scope for humour?

Postby Harishankar on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:04 am

I'm starting a new online comic based on the legal profession (as I myself am studying to become a lawyer).

I want to you see the first strip I've done and offer me your thoughts on the theme/topic as well as how far one can go with the humour in this field. I looked at a lot of webcomics and not many of them deal with the legal professional (as opposed to ordinary lawyer jokes).

Here's a link to the comic (there's only one so far):

http://harishankar.org/blog/entry.php/t ... -episode-1

The first episode has come out rather better than I thought it would.

On technique, this is the first time I'm using a vector graphics package to do my drawings. Your own thoughts on vector vs. raster graphics is also appreciated.
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Re: A legal comic - scope for humour?

Postby Killbert-Robby on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Line width line width line width, vectors have their place if you intend to print this, but then you need to lean to create varying line widths in your new technique or your drawings are going to lack any sort of depth.
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Harishankar on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:26 am

The second one has come out better than the first.

I have got better at varying line width for different elements of the scene but I'm still new to vector graphics and was a bit awkward, so the first one hasn't come out all the well in terms of lines.

If you see the latest comic on my older comic Boxi and Panjo which I create in GIMP, you will notice the difference. Using a pen tablet is more conducive to more natural lines.

The thing that attacted me to vector graphics is the precision of control you can achieve with shapes and lines.
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Postby Harishankar on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:14 am

I've posted my second comic in the series. http://harishankar.org/blog/entry.php/t ... -episode-2

Is it better in terms of line width variation and so on? I am more comfortable now using a vector graphics tool now... :)
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Postby Webkilla on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 pm

have a look at this webcomic: http://www.docrat.com.au/

its made by a man who is a profesional doctor...

what he does:

- observes and parodies the "stereotypes" that come to his clinic

- makes realistic (to the setting) drama revolving around what can/does happen at such places of employment

and so on... read it, it might give you some ideas.

my suggestions: (you're doing fine already :))

- CSI effect, you should be familiar with this being a law student. try to show how that works/doesn't work (should make for some easy "the jury is full of idiots" puns and the likes.

- bring some of your own experience from law school into the picture. its easier than you think - just look at your teachers, ask them for funny/interesting stories, make comics out of that.

- ...and if you wanna do long-lasting plots and stories pull out Phoenix Wright and make something similar in your comic. your 'enemies' could be evil lawyer opponenets, or the 'big mean DA and his CSI goons' and what have you... again some CSI effect stuff here you can pull

you have plenty of room to grow in, your style is good for a starting comic - go you!
Webkilla
Regular Poster

Postby Harishankar on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:29 am

Thanks a lot. I've created quite a buffer of comics now. I have created 8 episodes so far and I think I'm getting the hang of things.

I'm going to update once a week so as not to put too much pressure on myself. It takes quite some time to complete each comic, but it gives me great satisfaction.

As for funny stories - I have a bunch of them already but I am going to pick and choose so that I don't get into the trap of using the stale old lawyer jokes :) I'm also looking for a mix of visual and verbal humour.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. Also I'm definitely going to add a few more characters into the mix, so as not to get too monotonous.
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks