GIMP tutorial for drawing comics fully in digital

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

GIMP tutorial for drawing comics fully in digital

Postby Harishankar on Fri May 22, 2009 5:01 am

I've just written a simple tutorial on the method I use GIMP to prepare my comic using nothing but GIMP to draw the panels. Not super detailed, but will give you some clue as to how I use layering and positioning to make things simpler and easier and also re-use backgrounds.

Take a look: http://harishankar.org/blog/entry.php/h ... ly-in-gimp

Judicious use of layers and layer effects can be tedious but will have dramatic improvements in the depth and richness of your comic strip. Also using layers wisely allows you to focus on one part of your comic (say a character) alone without worrying about messing up other parts of your drawing. I also found that backgrounds are much easier to draw without the superimposed characters first - just make sure your characters don't "float" in the background though. This can be a problem when doing things in this technique...
Harishankar
Regular Poster

Re: GIMP tutorial for drawing comics fully in digital

Postby [geoduck] on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:44 am

I use Paint Shop Pro myself; the way I avoid jagged edges on my drawings is to do (most) everything double-sized and shrink it into position.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks