Page 1 of 2
Who's style is most similar to your own?
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:22 am
by ChaosBurnFlame
This is a good question for alot of artists looking to improve. You have to pick a fellow 'spacer or fellow webcomic artist as a comparison.
I think Phalanxping's style is very similar to my own. Ok, aside from the fact that she's about a bazillion times better and more advanced than I am, the very basics of the facial structures I use are very compatable with the ones she uses. In fact, from the Pencil/Inking sharing, from just seeing how she inks or pencils my own characters really teaches me alot about how to better define facial features on my female characters.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:46 am
by TheBladeRoden2
No one's been able to capture the ol' JR Productions feel yet.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:30 am
by Cortland
Probably
David Willis. I first read his comics, I thought, "Yes! That's exactly how I've been trying to draw all these years!" Though I blame Cortland's hair entirely on Akira Toriyama.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:22 am
by McDuffies
I'd point out David Willis for mcDuffies too. Even though I wasn't influenced by him much.
LWK art reminds me of art of comic thandem Yoann/Omond. But in terms of webcomics, I found myself in a bunch of totally different comics on GraphicSmash. The only comic similar to LWK there, is Psiogen's Ascent.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:08 am
by Phalanx
In terms of style closeness, probably
Lovarian Adventures. The comic itself wasn't a particular influence of mine, and the style is a bit on the manga-ish side, but I did figure out what kind of nose representation I liked from watching how Geejay did it.
I didn't think that ChaosBurnFlame's style was that close to mine, really. I like harder edges and geometric shapes, he seems to go more for rounded edges and muscle builds.
And the most important thing, the way we draw eyes is vastly different. IMHO, half the drawing style of a person is how they draw faces, and eyes are pretty much one of the most important aspects of the face.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:28 am
by LAGtheNoggin
Looking back, I'd probably say Komiyan's
Darken was closest to my style, which isn't surprising as I was kinda' trying to copy her afterall.
I've had a lot of style change over the past few months and no existing stylistic goal in mind though, so there's lots of change (hopefully) that I haven't shown yet. Losely I'm aiming for a more angular and tighter look these days, just gonna see where I end up mostly.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:05 am
by Christwriter
Oh, man...you had to do a hard one.
I haven't got a clue what spacer is closest to my style...certainly not the one I'm using right now. When I started I was using Phalanx's tutorials as a base, but the thing I did not want to do was carbon-copy her when she was kind enough to teach me how to use Photoshop for what I wanted.
The one I'd say I'm closest to (and I HATE to say it because I respect the artist enormously) would probably be a non-'Space comic called <a href="
http://www.malakh.com/comic.php"> Malakhim </a>. Not the line-art style but the coloring and atmosphere.
However, if my mother did a webcomic, I'd be forced to say her. My mom is an incredibly, INCREDIBLY gifted artist/writer/everything else she puts her hands to, and as I've grown as an artist, I've noticed simularities between our styles. Sometimes when I put our artwork side-by-side, it looks so similar it's almost scary. Mine is nowhere near as good as hers is, but we draw things like eyes, noses, even profiles the same. That's why picking a webcomic artist is so hard--it's a bit hard to pick an online simularity when a bigger one is living under the same roof as me.
CW
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:01 pm
by Dutch!
Murray Ball of Footrot Flats, and some guy called Horowitz, I think, who did one years ago called Herman.
No. I haven't been actively influenced by webcomics. Aren't I a bastard?
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:04 pm
by Spriteville, USA
Most like me?
No one. I am the first loved sprite artist on the forums =] YAY!
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:40 pm
by Van Douchebag
Every says "Penny-Arcade", but although I do get ideas from Mike my style mostly comes from Saturday morning toons like Justice League and Samurai Jack, and even the Clerks show.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:06 pm
by TheSuburbanLetdown
A while back, Phalanx told me that my style reminded her of Joe England's
Zebra Girl. At the time, I had not seen it, so I took a look, and I see some similarites. Not so much in the construction, but mostly in the hatching style. I like the use of lines to create shades and textures. Not that I'm any good at it, but I try.
Some keenspace comics that are similar to mine are
The Man Who Hates Fun and
8:1. We all use lots of hatching, but we do it differently.
This page and the one after it are I think are the best examples of my style.
Much of my style is influenced by
Robert Crumb, an incredibly influential figure in the development of the "Underground Comic Revolution." His career spans several decades and he now has mutiple style at his disposal like a quiver full of arrows. He himself is kinda creepy, but his work is amazing. Watch the Terry Zwigoff film "Crumb" to learn more.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:25 pm
by Fiore42
I've no idea--there's a little bit of manga in my geneology, but not much.
This is a passable example of the semi-realistic, desaturated-color, weighted-lineart I use.
If I remind anyone of someone, I'd be quite curious...
BTW, Peppermint: Nice Earthling lyrics in your sig. ^_^
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:02 pm
by Phact0rri
Heck if I know... I drew some influence from print comics when developing what I like to call the "decypher" style. but I wasn't really prevy to many webcomics before I started, doing mine. My sister use to send me links to penny-arcade and PVP and the like, which got the ball rolling on actually doing a comic... but I don't know.
though I gotta ask, how would we improve by seeing someone who is simular to us. I get ideas, like how people characterize backgrounds or how they shade or what not, everytime I read comics. but I think thats normal, doesn't everyone analize artwork they think looks neat for ideas?
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:14 pm
by BOMC
Hmm... honestly, I don't know. A lot of people draw the eyes only thing when cutting corners, but not all the time.
Actually the way i draw when not doing BOMC is kinda like a mixture of Loserz and Disney movies.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:52 pm
by Kris X
Um... I have no clue. So far I'm the only one of my style I have seen.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:15 pm
by Ian Moulding
Faub. I'm nowhere near that good, but I work with pencil and graphite sticks. I love the effects you can get from graphite, and I don't think it's real art unless you get dirty doing it.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:11 pm
by Godoftarot
Aside from the obvious anime/manga influence, I haven't really seen any other art that looks quite like mine. Of course I'm sure there's tons of webcomics I have seen, so...
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:14 pm
by TheSuburbanLetdown
Ian Moulding wrote:... and I don't think it's real art unless you get dirty doing it.
I love art dirt. I still have ink on my fingers from yesterday actually. I should take a shower now.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:29 pm
by Anywherebuthere
Well,
I haven't read enough web comics to figure out who's art I most closely resemble, but appearantly my style most resembles Berkeley Breathed and Gary Trudeau...in a "good way" or so I'm told.
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:59 pm
by Faub
Who am I like? I can't really say. I certainly didn't try to be like anyone when I started drawing FAUB. Most of the styles I've seen, especially online, are incredibly simplified or they're done in Flash. After the fact, I would like to think I put in as much effort inking as yeahduff and Ursula Vernon of
Digger. Maybe a little Joe England of Zebra Girl (who beat me for best B&W art, btw).
One of my goals is to be more like Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise), the good people at Aardvark Vanaheim (Cerebus) both in artwork and writing. Sandman by Neil Gaiman and most anything by Charles DeLint are great sources of inspiration in terms of writing and the general feeling of wonder they inspire in the reader. I would love to be able to match that.