Coloring lineart with The Gimp

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Coloring lineart with The Gimp

Postby MixedMyth on Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:52 pm

Hiya! Well, I know there's a way you can use layers to color lineart in Photoshop without actually interfering with the lines. My question is, is there anything similar that you can do with Gimp? I've been mucking about with it, but I just havn't had any luck.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Seven3 on Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:46 pm

Try the Gimp User Group, they can help.
<B>Don't Panic.</B> - Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Isaiah 43.
Seven3
Cartoon Hero

Postby Reinder on Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:43 am

You do it in the same way as in Photoshop, actually. Make sure you can see the Layers Dialogue (right-click -> Layers -> Layers, Channels and whatnot).

There's an icon in there representing two sheets of paper, which is what you click to duplicate layers. Set the layer mode of the top layer to Multiply, and go nuts.

Selections work slightly differently in The Gimp than in Photoshop or PSP, and that will take some getting used to. By default, everything is selected, and the flood fill tool will fill everything unless you make a selection first.

Take a close look at the Edit menu, for it has two options that will let you fill with foreground and background color without switching tools. If you like these options, change the keybindings so they work with single keys (no CTRL or Alt).
Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks