Panel sizes...

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Panel sizes...

Postby Jouni on Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:07 am

Lately I've been trying to come up with a good standard panel and strip size for my comic, and I think I got it now... But, since I draw every panel separately, usually even the backgrounds apart from the characters, I have problems with the positioning and sizing.

I was wondering if you professionals could provide me with some tips on how you lay your comic out and do the panels... Do you use masks, selections or something completely new to me? :)

I'd appreciate any tips..
"The juxtaposition of form and function wherewithin the corpereal embodiment of this one true, sacred, and pure form is simply an antediluvian spectre harking back to the very epitomy of architecture. I find your work striking...it has panged my heart to the basest metals of my soul.

Remember, simplicity, form, and soul are the keys to success in this field."

Jouni
Regular Poster

Postby Taiwanimation on Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:08 pm

Here's what I do.

First of all, the standard comic strip has a 13:4 horizontal:vertical ratio. If you intend on publishing on paper, this may be a good format to follow.

I have a template drawn on regular paper with regular pen. To copy the template onto the paper I'm drawing on, I put the paper I draw on (in this case, 70 lb paper) over it, and trace (with the aid of a triangular ruler). Usually the sunlight or main light is enough to see through the 70 lb paper, if not, I simply turn on a desk lamp. No light box needed.

About layering foreground onto background... I don't think that's a particularly good idea, as it messes with composition. If you are to do it I'd reccomend layout sketches before doing the foreground/background thing. You may want to search online about how animations are made as they use that method much more often than comic strips.
Taiwanimation
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jouni on Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:13 am

Thanks, but I don't think paper-template suits for me, since I tend to draw the comics in strange places. It's a wonder that I even have my pencil with me when I decide to draw. :D And I can't find 70lb paper anywhere... :cry:
"The juxtaposition of form and function wherewithin the corpereal embodiment of this one true, sacred, and pure form is simply an antediluvian spectre harking back to the very epitomy of architecture. I find your work striking...it has panged my heart to the basest metals of my soul.

Remember, simplicity, form, and soul are the keys to success in this field."

Jouni
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks