Constructive criticism?

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Constructive criticism?

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:56 am

Hey, I was kind of hoping that a couple of people could go through my site and nit-pick and what's not very good about it...
I just started it, so I might as well begin fixing it now so that my cartoon could get better.
Anyways, if you have anything to say about Mr Bubbles at all, please make my cartoon a little better by making fun of it.

Insert unnecessary devil: :evil:

-chris "c"
http://profound.keenspace.com
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby Proxos on Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:38 pm

Dear Chris,
I tried twice to access your site and both times I got a not found error. Then I tried one more time and It worked. At first the actual comic didn;t load, so I was left to look at the banner image. The chicken intriqued me. Then when the comics did load, I definatly like the simple style. I then decided to click on the first button. Anyways, time to critique. I'll start with what I liked. I really liked the idea of the chicken, very original, the drawing style is great too. Now on to the bad, the chicken should talk, or their should be other talking characters in it. The other thing is when I hear the name , Mr.Bubbles, I think of a monkey. I gun toting monkey who's gun has the power to give people cancer. but thats just my opinion.
I hope I've been a help to you, and I wish you luck in all your future endevers.
Love, Proxos M.D
<b>Shaolinstyle</b> - http://www.shaolinstyle.tk
My Amazing Blog Site

<b>Us Vs. Them </b> - http://usvsthem.keenspace.com - My stupid Comic
Proxos

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:03 am

Thanks for responding man...
I have to really figure out what is wrong with my website not loading on a constant basis.... I blame Keenspace. I thought it was just my computer before this.
But about the whole talking thing... Mr Bubbles is nothing more than a way for me to practice drawing. I'm trying the whole 'Mad About...'-style drawings, where text is indicated by pictures. This just helps me to draw different things, and to go at cartoons from different approaches. I have been thinking about some text, tho... like maybe the people can talk in one-word sentences.
Thanks for the critique!
-chris "c"
http://profound.keenspace.com
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby Megidoth on Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:40 pm

The only thing that could use a change is the site layout,the main page is kinda slow to load and the archive template show the tag line:***advertisment*** at the top.

Beside that,there nothing to talk bad about.The humor and style is topnotch.Continue,you got a new regular reader^^
Megidoth
Regular Poster

Postby Smoot on Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:59 am

i've been reading latomb for a while. i love it! so much so that as soon as i get around to collecting buttons for links, and coding the darn thing, you were going to be one of those buttons that i'll be collecting.

i like the style, the story(!) and the simpleness of it all, at least, that's what i can come up with to make you feel good anyway. i actually have no idea why i like it, but i come back all the time. good to see you're actually updating again. i was going to email about that.

i like your published comics too.

what i don't like, is how the buttons are kinda weird. most keenspace comics have last as the most recently published comic, as opposed to the previous comic, as you have. it kinda screwed with me for a while there. and the header is rather large, takes a bit to load for the simple people still on dialups (i actually have no problem with it anymore, seeing as it's cached ^_^ .. but it did annoy me a bit at first)

the dns errors are a keenspace thing, all relatively new keenspace accounts are experiencing this problem. i know i am >=(
accessing and uploading the page are a major pain in the ass when the servers don't recognise that you're actually there! hopefully this will settle down eventually, and the new sites will be available 99% of the time

and personally, i think you should stick with the no text thing. it's part of your style, and the comic is strong enough to stand without text. it's a good defining feature to make you stand out from other comics.

-takes a deep breath-

okay. i'm done now. at least i think i am.

oh. it's ***advertisement***
use a spoon! it hurts more!
Smoot
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:09 pm

(o.O) I had thought this topic died ages ago..... whoah.....

I had messed up the Advertisment thing.... it wasn't on at all for the first few months, and then it was misspelled for an entire 2 days. I'd say something funny about this, but..... how many grammar jokes are there?

I just changed the index page on Saturday.... got rid of 4 meaningless pictures, and it still runs really slow, even on my computer. I'll try to reduce the quality of my main logo, and get rid of some of the worthless dropdowns (I got about 2 hits from KeenLosers, not quite worth the 10 extra seconds it takes to load). The things I can't get rid of are the Turbocool banners and the FakeID dropdown, so I'm kind of stuck working around those.

I've also been writing my jokes and stories around a rad case of writer's block, so I haven't been updating as much as I used to. There's also the whole 'school' thing and Trig/Calc. But I finally finished that Peanut's storyline so now I can draw in school again without needing my stack of newspapers for reference.

I can't believe I have regular readers.... before it was just a couple of cartoonists and some people at school that I conned into looking at the site o.O
I feel obligated to update now.
Damn you.

Thanks for the responses!
And thanks for going all the way to the beginning of the forum and finding my old post!

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:44 pm

I reduced the image sizes quite a bit, got rid of the useless visit-counter, and took myself off the dropdown. Is it fast enough yet?
Also... I've heard of people using .png, but is this file supported by all explorers? I don't want to set up a website that only certain people can access..........
What I want to know is how cartoons like Superosity can hold a bajillion things on there websites and come up fast, while Hounds Home takes minutes to load even tho there are a few pictures...

Anyways, if you could just check it and see if its fast enough... and maybe send me some tips to make it faster...

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby McBean on Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:09 pm

wow, did I really say that qoute on your front page? I can't believe I said that.... Really I do having bad grammar with words tangeled?
McBean
Regular Poster

Postby Megidoth on Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:20 pm

WOW!It DO make a difference!You're A-OK now^^

Very browser and loading friendly
:D
Megidoth
Regular Poster

Postby Seven3 on Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:41 am

There's one small cahnge you may want to make. The text on your 'previous' button's incomprehensible. :)
<B>Don't Panic.</B> - Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Isaiah 43.
Seven3
Cartoon Hero

Postby Smoot on Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:40 am

here's an idea... update on the days you're supposed to! >=D :wink:

i've never been to hounds home but i suspect they're either really high res images being used, or a hell of a lot of scripting
Smoot
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11268 on Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:49 pm

Smoot : I'm just trying to get back on my rad schedule, however, now that you brought it to my attention, I'll start doing it differently. 2 comics a every mwf until I'm back on schedule. You should go to Hound's Home. Ryan is a #*@# genius.

Sev'n : I'm going to try that thing the Pokie brought up... it'll look cooler and you may be able to read it. And there won't be any confusion over the 'last' and 'first' links.

Bean : If you don't want the quote up there, just tell me. I can get rid of it or replace it or whatnot. I don't see anything grammar with the wrong, though......

Megidoth : You make me laugh. God bless you.

Thanks for the 34th time!

-chris 'c'
ZOMBIE USER 11268
Regular Poster

Postby Megidoth on Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:20 pm

chappy wrote:Megidoth : You make me laugh. God bless you.

Since when sincerity is funny? 8)
Megidoth
Regular Poster

Postby McBean on Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:38 pm

I have no problem with you putting the qoute up there, I just can't believe the way I said it.
McBean
Regular Poster

Postby Smoot on Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:51 am

chappy wrote:Smoot : I'm just trying to get back on my rad schedule, however, now that you brought it to my attention, I'll start doing it differently. 2 comics a every mwf until I'm back on schedule.

teehehehe, meanwhile, it's 1:48 am on a tuesday morning, and i'm still forced to see pupkin >=(

granted, it's sometime in the afternoon on a monday in the states, and so i give you another 12 hours. but i'm bored ;_;

muahahaha, i'll stop being a demented rabid fan-girl now :D

no pressure, aye? ^_^
Smoot
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks