[REF] Recommended books.

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Post by Komiyan »

I've found this to bea real help. Nice to have an almost stock library of faces of all types, ages and races.

YKA

Post by YKA »

Phalanx is right.
The Andrew Loomis' books are all fantastic and carry a lot of profound and truthful infornation about Figure Drawing, Perspective, Picture Composition and all.
It is just not specifically about the sequential technique typical to comics. Or Inking or computer colouring.
Still everyone interested in visual art should have looked at them (and will be then hooked). All the other How-to books authors are lightweights in comparison.
Out of print but downloadable from different Web sites. Try first http://www.saveloomis.org
http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

YKA

David Chelsea Perspective

Post by YKA »

Sorry Steve Bryant, but Perspective for Comic Book Artists by David Chelsea is an awful book.
You must be some kind of mathematical genius to have found this book enjoyable, or even understandable.
For everybody else: Beware! This book will disgust you forever of perspective.
Better try to find an old out-of-print copy of Perspective Drawing by Ernest Norling. This is the book about perspective for comic artists and illustrators.

Mick_Edwards

Re: [REF] Recommended books.

Post by Mick_Edwards »

How to write science fiction and fantasy by Orson Scott Card. I know it's mostly used by novelists - but his insights to dialogue, character, and the nuggets he covers on such topics inside is helpful. He also covers the tropes of science fiction, fantasy, research, thinking outside the box, and using realism.

MichaelYakutis
Regular Poster

Post by MichaelYakutis »

Anything by Burne Hogarth is excellent. I wish someone had introduced me to his books YEARS ago. It would have made me a much better artist than I am today.

The DC Comic Guide to Inking Comics, by Klaus Jansen is very helpful as well. But his tips can seem a bit biased at times, or almost contradictory. Still worth checking out, even if you're not an inker. (I think it's important to learn EVERY aspect of comic book production, even if you are not actually involved in all aspects).

The most helpful book I’ve EVER read about comics is Dave Sim’s Cerebus Guide to Self Publishing. There is only one chapter in there about illustrating, but there is loads of information in that book which answers questions I never would have thought to ask. It’s kinda hard to find these days, but if you can get ahold of the updated 2011 edition, READ IT.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

hmm... interesting

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »