Artistic Process

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

djracodex
Regular Poster

Artistic Process

Post by djracodex »

One of my favorite things is to see how someone arts. I could probably spend hours reading/watching tutorials, videos and live-streams. Whether it's shading, coloring or even brain-storming, everyone's got a different artistic process that is unique to their style and what they do (too feel-goody-goody yet?). Every now and then, I'll find something I never thought of that would save me time (hold shift and draw to make a straight line in photoshop. Blew my freaking mind) or just make my crummy pieces look more finished (textures and masking, whaaat??)

So CG, here's mine for comicking
  • >Access script - This sets my scene, what dialog, and what details I have to remember
    >Doodle the tiniest freaking thumbnail (1" x 2/3") of the whole page - Boxes, bubbles and stick figures I can shuffle and re-draw without wasting time on any detail
    >Get out that notepad (that I stole from work) and doodle up another thumbnail (4" x 3") - I set my frames, and get my characters and general background all fleshed out. Still, if I goof, it's no big deal. I'll put sizing and directional arrows that I will deal with in Ps. I'll write in sound effects as well
    >Get distracted and bored, go onto CG, make up a stupid forum thread for the hell of it - thanks for humoring me, you are contributing to my laziness
    >Don't use the scanner because it sucks, take a picture of my larger thumbnail with my phone and send it to my comp - Much higher quality of my sh*tty little sketch
    >Upload it to Ps - I open up my comictemplate.psd (which has my texture, pg #, and text folder already set up), resize to fit, shuffle frames around, and tweak my sketch however necessary
    >Establish text, and speech bubbles - A lot of artists (better artists) don't do this step til after they draw, but I have trouble leaving room for bubbles :(
    >Hide all text layers so anyone walking by won't judge you (any more than they already do) - but leave the bubbles, because they look very officially comic-like. You are doing a great job at this.
    >Ink that son of a nerf-herder! - While watching any of the following, because it's just background noise: Trashy reality TV, nature documentaries (preferably about sled-dogs, natural disasters, or dinosaurs), movies you think you really should see at least once, anime your roommates recommend
    >Color generic background shapes - Whole page, then panels, then large drawn backgrounds
    >Color the rest of it! - Adding in any patterns, or flat textures I'll want to shade.
    >Eat - carbs
    >Shade - One translucent layer of black is how I like it
    >I think I'm done? - haha haaah ahahaahahahahaaaaaa Never. Add in all that stuff I forgot, like details to backgrounds, add in some little rocks (b*tches love little rocks), any other effects strike my whimsy
    >I think I'm done now - Save that boss on max, date it for submission, realize I have a spelling error in the text and go get a beer.
That's pretty much how each page goes. So, I showed you mine, now you show me yours...