Inking/Lining - What's your preference?

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Inking/Lining - What's your preference?

Postby djracodex on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 am

Inking is a pretty vital step to comic-ing, and there's thousands of different ways to do it!
Personally, I do my comic digitally on photoshop CS3 using the standard 'hard round' 2px with the 'pen tilt' control dynamic. I find that the pen tilt gives me a crisper line at most angles, however on the straight lines it gets a little fuzzy.

So, CG, what do you use to ink your comic?
djracodex
Regular Poster

Re: Inking/Lining - What's your preference?

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:37 am

I use a Sharpie and a six-pack of Microns.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 am

I also use Photoshop. I draw pretty big so i usually use an 6 - 8 px hard brush for detail lines and then outline everything with 10 - 15 px brush because I like a thick outline.

And I like to use diffident color inks instead of just black because it helps with the mood.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 am

I use Zig or Copic multiliners depending on what I can afford at the time.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 pm

These days usually Faber-Castell markers, combining ranges from 0.2 to 0.5. (I draw 1:1 which is terrible on my eyes but I don't have the kind of work space that big sheets require). They don't give terribly dynamic line, but when I don't have much time and I want to reliably get nice results, they're there. LWK is done mostly with them.
Otherwise I prefer to ink with quills, I don't have a preferred brand, I usually buy them by the shape of the tip, and I buy everything that looks good, since good ones aren't that easy to find.
I'm eternally trying to learn to ink with a brush, right now I'm playing around with a refillable brush pen and one of those fancy japanese markers with brush tip, both of them seem fine enough but I don't have a project on which to use them so i just play around.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Humbug on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:53 pm

I haven't done any lining for some time now since I moved on to painting, but I used to ink with an 8px hard brush with pressure sensitivity. Drawing speedlines without curves or a ruler was a nightmare.
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Going through alotta permanent markers right now...

Postby Cope on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 pm

I use fineliners and permanent markers and basically whatever I can find at the newsagents and supermarkets.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Mastermind on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

I sometimes download other artists' brush sets but always end up with standard round.
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby Montyandwoolley on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 am

I've set up several pens on ProCreate, 1 pencil for lineart (more or less HB, but blue..), 1 thin Ink for lining set to go wider the faster i move the brush, then a thicker for the outer edge set to a consistent thickness regardless of brush speed. I always think I can use the pre-built brushes, but end up changing the settings so much when i try them i end up creating a new brush anyway..
Montyandwoolley
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Copic multiliners for hard nibs, though I also use felt tips of a different brand I can't remember right now. I'm moving toward the felt/brush tip more nowadays though as my drawings are larger, so most of my drawings are either the brush/felt tip or a .7 or .5 mm, each page uses the .25 a little bit, and very very infrequently I'll use the .03. Cute little guy, but I don't usually need lines that thin.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby chainmailbikini on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21 pm

I've been using microns. I normally use an 08 for most stuff and a 05 or 03 for faces n details. My coworker got a hold of some copics and they seem to be lasting a lot longer than my micron so I'm thinking of ordering some of those. I've done a little lining in photoshop but I never got comfortable with it. I might give it a try again in the future though.
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Postby MichaelYakutis on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 pm

djracodex wrote:...I do my comic digitally on photoshop CS3 using the standard 'hard round' 2px with the 'pen tilt' control dynamic....

2px, that'll certainly get you some fine lines!

I use anything and everything. Kinda depends on the project I'm working on and my mood. I usually start with a sable hair brush (I think it's a #0 or #1 series 7), then move on to Copic Multiliners in conjunction with a 102 pen nib. Sometimes gotta whip out a Micron or Faber Castell if the Copic ink is giving me grief. I sometimes outline with a Sharpie or similar broad tipped marker. Then use Pure White for white highlights. Then more work is done in Photoshop CS3 using my old Cintiq. I like using the 3px and 5px brush tips the best. Some of my webcomics I do exclusively in photoshop, however. Like I said, it depends on the project. But inking is the funnest part!!!
MichaelYakutis
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks