I'll review your webcomic.

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:That there is pretty much the key difference between a review and a critique -
Reviews are primarily for the potential audience, answering the question of "Will this entertain me?"
Critiques are more of a breakdown/analysis that delves into what's right/wrong about the work and may or may not offer solutions to fix problems.
'Zactly. The critique part's optional, and if it isn't fun, then just do the review part. The problem's that people won't write reviews at all because there's this impression that critique's somehow required. And, plus, even saying stuff as simple as "I like this character" or "I'm confused about this part" or "The figures look weird in profile" is still helpful, and is probably more feedback than that creator normally gets.

edit: Oh, and:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Another thing is that many people don't feel they know enough to be able to write a helpful review/critique. It's kind of a corrollary to what I mentioned in my second paragraph, except with more self awareness- people think their own art/writing is weak, and feel that they therefore have no business giving anyone else advice. What's the saying, remove the plank in your eye before you try to remove the splinter in your neighbor's eye or something like that? (Except here it doesn't necessarily apply; helpful pointers are helpful pointers, even if their source might not seem qualified to say so)
Advice #2: Don't be afraid to be wrong. Trust your intuition and be honest. So what if you're wrong? What's the big deal? It's okay to be wrong sometimes. "If you're never wrong, you're never interesting."
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 pm

This is true, i often conflate critique and review in my mind even though I know the difference. Obviously in my message I was speaking more to critique.

I should get back into writing some reviews. I've slowed a bit on my buffer but once I've caught up on that I'll see about doing some work on that front.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:This is true, i often conflate critique and review in my mind even though I know the difference. Obviously in my message I was speaking more to critique.
Of course, it's common to have a mix of both. And critiques can be fun to do as well. I just think it's wrong to consider a review "bad" if it doesn't have substantial criticism or teach the reviewee what to do. There's more than one way to write about a webcomic. The only wrong way to write a review's to try to do it in a way that isn't fun for you, 'cause why should you do something difficult if it isn't fun and you aren't making money from it?

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I should get back into writing some reviews. I've slowed a bit on my buffer but once I've caught up on that I'll see about doing some work on that front.
That'd be sweet. It seems like every other day another review request pops up on SJ. I might do one this week, but I can't do 'em all myself.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm thinking of giving a go to one that was kind of getting toward the bottom of the page, it was posted in like mid November and never got a response from anyone. Seems like it might be my cup of tea.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Webcomic: Three Panel Soul
URL: http://www.threepanelsoul.com
Creator/s: Matthew Boyd, Ian McConville
Run: 5/06-current
Schedule: Once or twice a week
Section/s: November 2012 to February 2013

Website: It's an unremarkable ComicPress site, which is disappointing for a high-profile webcomic like this. The most notable element's the messy border between the main section and the black background, but it isn't very noticeable.

As far as bonus content goes, all the webcomic has is a store that sells prints, books, and T-shirts. The home page has a link to a "News" section, but that page has only been updated once since 2007. There's also a button marked "Whirled," and it lets you control a ghost that moves around various rooms. It seems like "Whirled" lets you play games or something, but it wasn't immediately obvious what it has to do with the webcomic.

Lastly, the webcomic got some attention in 2007 when the police showed up at the writer's residence for "making a terroristic threat" in one of the strips. You can read the creators' side of the story here.

Writing: It's weird; usually, webcomic reviews focus entirely on the writing, with maybe a sentence about the artwork casually thrown in at the end, but that's not the case with Three Panel Soul. In this review, the substance pertains to "the look of the strips"; here, it's about "the unique art style" and how "Ian [the artist] uses his creativity"; and here, the "Strengths" and "Weaknesses" sections only describe the artwork, and the review concludes with "Ian is an artist who’s definitely worthy of your attention." So, what's going on?

Basically, Three Panel Soul's writing should be completely ignored, because it adds nothing to the webcomic aside from providing context for the illustrations. None of it's funny, interesting, or clever, making it more of a distraction than anything. However, those who choose to read the dialogue anyways will find that the comic's mainly either about random stuff, or about a geek girl who wears fantasy clothing. Having a geek girl as the main character should appeal to geeky male readers in two ways, as it gives them someone to relate to while also presenting them with an imaginary girlfriend they can fantasize about. However, in this case, the character's exceptionally whiny and childish, and normal adult responsibilities like having a job are presented as being a soul-crushing burden because she'd rather be playing video games with her friends than working. As I said earlier, though, if you end up reading this comic, I recommend skipping the dialogue altogether, as it isn't necessary to enjoy the part of this comic's that actually appealing, which is the artwork.

Art: The creators' previous webcomic, Mac Hall, won a bunch of awards in the Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards, including "Outstanding Art" in 2003 and 2004, "Outstanding Layout" in 2003 and 2004, and "Outstanding Use of Color" in 2002, 2003, and 2004. Its total of nine awards is more than any other webcomic's gotten. Needless to say, Mac Hall had some spectacular artwork, and the artist's only gotten better in the seven years since it ended.

While the artist excels at all aspects of drawing and coloring comics, the best part of it's just how varied it is. The comic will jump from flashy fantasy artwork to noirish, slice-of-life stuff to cute chibis without warning, and it leaves readers never knowing what to expect next.

Overall: It's a shame that Three Panel Soul has such lackluster writing, as it's one of the best-looking webcomics around. I'd almost recommend it just as a gallery of excellent comic illustrations, but I can't get over how pervasively mediocre the overall presentation is. When the artist gets a new writer or starts writing the webcomic himself, I'll be eager to give it another look. Until then, there are plenty of more interesting webcomics worth checking out.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm going on a trip, so I won't be posting much next week. After that, I guess I'll take another look at the Smack Jeeves requests, and I'd like to eventually get in a full-archive review like I mentioned earlier. I also plan on redesigning my blog and making some small improvements to my webcomic's site.

VCC wrote:I'm thinking of giving a go to one that was kind of getting toward the bottom of the page, it was posted in like mid November and never got a response from anyone. Seems like it might be my cup of tea.
Cool!
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:14 pm

My blog redesign's pretty-much-almost done, so I figure I'll share it now in case anyone has any suggestions, browser issues, or nitpicky things to point out. The main thing I have left is figuring out a color scheme for the text since everything's black-ish, but I'll do that tomorrow.

A few minor notes:
- There are a few minor issues in IE I'm aware of that I'm not gonna bother to fix right now
- I haven't tested it in FF, Safari, or Safari Mobile yet
- The cyberattack table worked fine the past two days, but seems to be down right now. If it turns out to be unreliable, I'll get rid of it.
- Only a few of the reviews have ratings right now, so the "Search by Rating" feature will return 0 results for some ratings.

Also, no review this week either 'cause I was busy putting together the site, but I should have one for y'all next week. Oh, and there might be some guest reviews at some point, or something.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Just a li'l update, I'm totally redoing how posts show up on the main page and archives, so ignore anything screwed up about them for the time being. Thank you. Also, I managed to somehow completely crash Blogger and nuke most of my code, but fortunately I was able to recover what I had. Blogger has a built-in "save a backup of all your code" feature, so I maybe-kinda-probably should be using it.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 am

Alright, I guess the site's finally actually done now aside from that I still have to add images for the 81 posts not on the front page. :o I'm glad I redid the posts format, though, since I think the site looks a lot better this way.

And... I'm glad to be about done with this website nonsense and back to actually writing reviews. Next up I've got a request by spoonyliger to review his webcomic.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Sweet!! Been missing your testimonies.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:38 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Sweet!! Been missing your testimonies.

Me too.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Really looking forward to it. I really appreciate your time, LC.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:32 pm

spoonyliger wrote:Really looking forward to it. I really appreciate your time, LC.

And I appreciate you being brave enough to volunteer your webcomic for a critique, especially since I'm a relatively harsh reviewer. I can say that I'll have a lot of complaints, but that it'll be somewhat more positive than most of my CG reviews. I'll see if I can get it done tomorrow, as it shouldn't take that long to write.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:03 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
spoonyliger wrote:Really looking forward to it. I really appreciate your time, LC.

And I appreciate you being brave enough to volunteer your webcomic for a critique, especially since I'm a relatively harsh reviewer. I can say that I'll have a lot of complaints, but that it'll be somewhat more positive than most of my CG reviews. I'll see if I can get it done tomorrow, as it shouldn't take that long to write.

Oh, I've heard about your infamous reviews, but I don't care. I just want to get reviewed. I've only received two reviews so far. One, personally by a close friend, who told me my comic was horrible and she couldn't keep reading it anymore and this one today from Gaia Online user XMegantronX, who basically told me the same thing as my friend. I do expect your review to be harsh, but above all I do hope it's honest and I very much appreciate it no matter what it says. So review away my friend. You will not hear a single word of complaint from me. Only a very heartedly "Thank You"... and perhaps some discussion if you want, I'd be more than happy to go into details if you'd like.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:30 pm

spoonyliger wrote:Oh, I've heard about your infamous reviews, but I don't care. I just want to get reviewed. I've only received two reviews so far. One, personally by a close friend, who told me my comic was horrible and she couldn't keep reading it anymore and this one today from Gaia Online user XMegantronX, who basically told me the same thing as my friend. I do expect your review to be harsh, but above all I do hope it's honest and I very much appreciate it no matter what it says. So review away my friend. You will not hear a single word of complaint from me. Only a very heartedly "Thank You"... and perhaps some discussion if you want, I'd be more than happy to go into details if you'd like.
It's good to hear that you've been reviewed before, as you should be a little more used to it now. I think you could legitimately say that someone isn't a "real cartoonist" until they've had their work torn to shreds by a reviewer. Anyways, I gotta apologize, but this is taking a little longer than I expected since the last few weeks have been kinda ridonkulous with all the stuff I've had going on, but things've settled down a bit now and I'm pretty sure I'll have it up tomorrow. I feel kinda bad leaving you hanging like this since I know the review process can be kinda stressful, but, eh, I'm doing what I can. I also don't mind if you have any complaints afterwards, as I'm pretty desensitized towards that sort of stuff by now. I'm also hoping to really start cranking reviews out now that I'm more back into the swing of things.

Also, in the meantime, my blog has its first guest contributor, who's a guy who does funny reviews kinda like That Guy With the Glasses. If you like his video, it might be nice to leave a comment for him, as he's been working hard on these videos without getting much attention for it. I've been talking with some other people as well, and hopefully there'll be some other contributors popping up in the near future.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:45 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:It's good to hear that you've been reviewed before, as you should be a little more used to it now. I think you could legitimately say that someone isn't a "real cartoonist" until they've had their work torn to shreds by a reviewer. Anyways, I gotta apologize, but this is taking a little longer than I expected since the last few weeks have been kinda ridonkulous with all the stuff I've had going on, but things've settled down a bit now and I'm pretty sure I'll have it up tomorrow. I feel kinda bad leaving you hanging like this since I know the review process can be kinda stressful, but, eh, I'm doing what I can. I also don't mind if you have any complaints afterwards, as I'm pretty desensitized towards that sort of stuff by now. I'm also hoping to really start cranking reviews out now that I'm more back into the swing of things.

That's alright. Plus, my comic has a lot of pages to read anyways. Take your time.

LibertyCabbage wrote:Also, in the meantime, my blog has its first guest contributor, who's a guy who does funny reviews kinda like That Guy With the Glasses. If you like his video, it might be nice to leave a comment for him, as he's been working hard on these videos without getting much attention for it. I've been talking with some other people as well, and hopefully there'll be some other contributors popping up in the near future.

What is up with this blog? I've seen it once before. It was all black I think. Now it looks professional, but I don't really understand it. It's like, the whole cop thing is kinda scary for me but then there's like sarcastic things all over it which I find funny. Is this just your review blog? You do it with other friends?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:36 pm

It's just his.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:50 am

LibertyCabbage wrote: I think you could legitimately say that someone isn't a "real cartoonist" until they've had their work torn to shreds by a reviewer.

I find a lot of truth in this. It's good to hear feedback from people that arent 'seasoned' reviewers (even though our friends can be dicks, at least they are honest XD all the better!), because pretty much any feedback helps in one aspect or another. There's lots of writers' forums with many reviewers, (any given english major practically lol) but comics are a different sort of animal.Though writing is pretty important, comics fall apart without basic layout composition, consistent artwork, and pacing.

LibertyCabbage wrote:Also, in the meantime, my blog has its first guest contributor, who's a guy who does funny reviews kinda like That Guy With the Glasses. If you like his video, it might be nice to leave a comment for him, as he's been working hard on these videos without getting much attention for it. I've been talking with some other people as well, and hopefully there'll be some other contributors popping up in the near future.

backpacking off my last statement, I'm glad there are more reviewers. The blog looks great, btw, had to do a double-take on how official it looks :lol: I enjoyed The Redtail's Dream review, it's one of my favorite comics.
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby spoonyliger on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:18 am

djracodex wrote:had to do a double-take on how official it looks :lol:

That pretty much sums up my reaction to it. It's like it's some serious thing, I like it, it's so intriguing.

btw, what's that chart that says "Date/Source/Attack On/Parameter"?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 am

My only problem with the site is how much I have to scroll past the menu image to get to the content. Everything's "below the fold" so to speak.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks