I'll review your webcomic.

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am

Sly Eagle wrote:Okay. If being "prepared" for a review/critique involves not pursuing communication and clarification after getting it, I refuse to ever be prepared. Getting a broad strokes review and then huddling in a cave trying to decipher it like it's the Oracle of Delphi is a waste of time. If you go to a fiction workshop, the teacher expects you to talk with him about the red marks he made all over your draft, not just bow and go do as he says (unless he has no business teaching a workshop.)

Of course I'm frustrated. I explain what I was going for and all I get was "stop being so defensive." And you know what? Fine. We don't need to waste each others' time here.


Okay as someone who has plenty of experience at reviews/critiques I'd like to give you some reality here...

There are three kinds of feedback:
1. Positive Praise - ie wow your comic is great I really enjoyed it
2. Negative Cruelty - ie your comic sucks and you should crawl into a ditch
3. Constructive Criticism - ie I read your comic and here's what I thought worked or didn't work

Ignore those first two as neither one is ever going to help you.
The blindly positive praise (such as you might get from friends/family/fans) does nothing for you, if you never here what's not working you don't know what to fix.

With constructive criticism, however harsh it may be, you're going to learn.
You have to keep in mind that as the creator you have more information than the reader, you know what you're trying to say BUT it does not always come across that way to the objective reader - hell my comic apparently was sending the exact opposite message of what was intended - so when a reviewer tells you "This is how it reads" you should listen to them.
Ask questions, get clarification sure but accept that maybe your comic is not working the way you intended.
Try to look at the issues that are pointed out from the perspective of an objective observer and half the time you'll smack yourself for not noticing/considering the issue earlier - that is of course if you actually wish to improve.

My advice here is simple - leave this topic alone - you're not helping yourself by arguing the point, just leave it, take whatever advice you can from it and go work on improving your comic.
I will be starting the next Webcomic Above You in early/mid May, I'd suggest you take part so as to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion on your comic.


And let's be fair here, LC called your comic boring he called mine obscene yet here I am defending the value of his review.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby Ulario on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:09 am

Sly Eagle wrote:Okay. If being "prepared" for a review/critique involves not pursuing communication and clarification after getting it, I refuse to ever be prepared. Getting a broad strokes review and then huddling in a cave trying to decipher it like it's the Oracle of Delphi is a waste of time. If you go to a fiction workshop, the teacher expects you to talk with him about the red marks he made all over your draft, not just bow and go do as he says (unless he has no business teaching a workshop.)

Of course I'm frustrated. I explain what I was going for and all I get was "stop being so defensive." And you know what? Fine. We don't need to waste each others' time here.


Critiques are always harsh, and sometimes having your work picked apart feels like a knife in the back but if reviews were all asspats and praise then nobody would ever learn.

Back in college (I was a BFA student with a dual concentration in Drawing/Painting and Graphic Design) we would have our work ripped a new one every week. The professor literally told people that their work was comparable to that to kindergarteners. People would regularly come out of that class crying. Hell, I had one professor that seemed to have a personal vendetta against my work because I'm primarily an illustrator and he HATED illustration in any shape and form.

But you know what? I wouldn't be 1/4 the artist that I am now if it wasn't for the things that I learned in those classes during critique sessions and in an odd way, I am grateful for the experience. I guess what I'm trying to say is to take things like this with a grain of salt. Like others have said, you may be frustrated now so step back for a little while. Take a break from the comic if need be. When you come back to it, you'll have a fresh new viewpoint.

The purpose of a review is for someone to generate an honest opinion on your work. To a lot of people (myself included) their comic, characters and headworld are their baby and rightfully so because it is such a personal story. However, not everyone feels the same way about it and getting an opinion through fresh eyes can be very helpful. I've written the scripts for the first 12 issues of my comic already and am in the middle of writing the 13ths. All of my scripts through no less then five beta readers for each issue before I even consider letting the story see the light of day because others always pick apart things that I miss. If it wasn't for them, my story would have more then a few grammatical errors and plot holes and I am happy to say that because of the feedback I've received through them I have a story that I'm very proud to attach my name to.

Even if you do get a bad review that you don't agree with, it's not worth getting butthurt over. Not everyone will like what you do. In this situation, it's best to take the critique for what it's worth and try to improve things for next time.

And honestly, I didn't think his review was that harsh. I'm actually expecting much worse when it comes time for Intrepid's turn on the chopping block. >_<

Just my two bits of copper.
User avatar
Ulario
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 am
Location: Once Upon a Time in Michigan

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 am

I think Cuddly and Robbo covered the situation really well, and I don't have much to add to the conversation at this point. As Robbo pointed out, you're fortunate that Webcomic Above is only a few weeks away, and that's a great opportunity to get a variety of perspectives. I'll be participating in it as well, so you'll even get a chance to tear one of my own stories apart if you want to.

- As Cuddly and Robbo explained, a creator sees their own work in a different way than everyone else sees it, and that's largely why criticism and feedback is so essential for improvement. That's why I asked you to be less defensive -- your own perception of your work is less relevant than you were making it out be.

- I don't think you should get rid of your archives. Just treat your comic as a learning experience and focus on getting better at writing. It might take you a while to get to the level you wanna be at, but that's okay.

- "Half a chapter's not enough to review" is a legitimate concern, but I feel like 21 pages is plenty of material for me to work with. That's about the same length as an entire print issue you'd buy at a comic book store. My reviews would be a little better if I read more of the comics, but reading is time-consuming, and I think that extra time (which I rarely have anyways) is better spent on the writing part of the review. That's just me, though; a different reviewer might be more comfortable reviewing a larger section. And of course, even if I'd read the entire chapter 2, you could still discredit me for not having read chapter 1.

If you're still frustrated about the review, do as Cuddly suggests and chill out for a bit. Having someone on the Internet say they don't like your webcomic isn't really that big of a deal.

edit: And props to Ulario for making a lot of good points as well.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Webcomic: Clean + Cure
URL: http://cleanpluscure.smackjeeves.com/
Creator/s: "anime-honeybee"
Run: 6/09-current
Schedule: About twice a week
Section/s: Ch. 8

I don't normally read manga, and I never read "boy love" stories, so I didn't really know what I was getting into with this webcomic.

Website: It has a simple white-and-tan layout that goes well with the grayscale pages. It'd be nice if there were some supplemental pages, though, like a cast page or a gallery.

The comic updates pretty often, although the days it updates seem to be all over the place. A regular update schedule would probably be better if the creator can manage it.

Writing: Despite being a "boy love" story, there isn't a lot of romance in Clean + Cure, and the comic actually has a fairly complex plot centered around a shadowy drug company called Vlasdell. The catboy protagonists are also conveyed as being the result of some kind of mutation, and the website's description of the comic indicates that these mutations are a significant concern in the comic's setting. I appreciate the ambiguity surrounding the company, as while they don't do anything particularly suspicious in the chapter, the thief character warns the catboys, "Don't trust Vlasdell," and it seems plausible that he has a legitimate reason for his animosity towards the company, especially since he's a catboy mutant as well.

The catboys have distinct personalities, with Ezra being more masculine and aggressive, and Percy being more feminine and passive. Both Ezra and Lin seem to be romantically interested in Percy, establishing a love triangle that develops as a minor element in the chapter. Ezra appears to get jealous when Lin gives a shirtless Percy special attention, and I expect the rivalry between Ezra and Lin will intensify as the story progresses. It's also noteworthy that Lin requires the catboys to wear dresses, establishing him as an eccentric pervert, and I expected the catboys to comment on their bizarre clothing at some point, but no one in the chapter acknowledges it at all. I also think the creator does a nice job of making Lin persuasive enough to reasonably convince the catboys not to quit their jobs, as it initially seems pretty unlikely they'd be willing to do such dangerous work.

The writing does have a downside, though, and it's that the parts with the thief fly by, and aren't as dramatic as they should be. This is most obvious in the transition between page 4 and page 5, where the characters are shown bound and blindfolded in the very first panel after the thief's introduced. It's reasonable to expect that the thief could fairly easily capture the catboys, but it's a particularly intense event that's being completely skipped over, and Ezra's not even in that part of the house where the thief shows up. The thief's next appearance also seems very rushed, as there's a lot of build-up to it, but the fight between Ezra and the thief only lasts a few panels before the Vlasdell agents rush in and grab them. I understand the agents were there the whole time waiting for the thief to arrive, but having the scene be so brief made it seem a bit anticlimactic to me, and it's lame that the creator has Ezra complain afterwards that the thief "got a good shot on my side" instead of showing it happen during the fight.

Artwork: The creator has a clean and confident manga style, and she illustrates the characters, outfits, and backgrounds with a notable amount of skill, detail, and consistency. She's also very good at drawing hands, which is something cartoonists generally struggle with. She also seems have to good sense of when and how to use screentones.

I've complained about it before, and I'll complain about it again here: I'm not big on the goofy cheek-mouths that manga artists like to draw. I understand it's "the style," but it always looks to me like the character has his mouth on one side of his face, and it messes with what would otherwise be some pretty solid character drawings. The creator also makes some awkward mistakes once in a while, like not drawing Ezra's neck here and giving Lin a tiny ear here, but overall there's not much to fault.

Overall: Sometimes Smack Jeeves seems like "that site with all the yaoi comics," and while I've regarded the "BL" (Boy Love) tag on banners as a warning label, Clean + Cure is a creative and skillfully made webcomic that should appeal not only to fans of yaoi, but to general webcomic readers as well, especially once the issues with pacing and character illustration are resolved. I certainly feel encouraged now to be a little more open-minded about my webcomic reading choices.
Last edited by LibertyCabbage on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby Sly Eagle on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:42 pm

All, right, I was just going to walk away because I was getting pissed off about being treated like a n00b, but I'm going to try one more time to explain myself.

I was not butthurt about this review. This is hardly the worst review I've ever gotten. I got one a few years back that literally had me hugging the toilet puking. This was nothing like that review.

I am frustrated because I was looking for more feedback. I was offended that when I tried to explain what I was going for, instead of a "well, maybe if you had...etc" that I was hoping for, I got the impression that what I was attempting was not being considered worthwhile, and I was being told I was whiny. I don't appreciate that, and I think it's stupid to think anyone would.

On the subject of beta readers, that one's a sore spot for me. I don't have any for this comic (other than my co-artist who tends for "looks good" responses), and all of my writing friends either won't do it because they'd rather see it when it's a comic because it's "too hard" to beta when it's just a script or they don't want spoilers (or they don't have the time). After ten years of beta-ing for other people you'd think the beta karma would turn around, but you'd be wrong. Perhaps my problem is I tend to gravitate towards fellow novelists, who I think will understand my pacing and thematic development better than weekly/monthly publication people.
Image
User avatar
Sly Eagle
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:05 am
Location: the dark recesses of my mind

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby McDuffies on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 am

Sly Eagle wrote:I got one a few years back that literally had me hugging the toilet puking. This was nothing like that review.

I really hope that by "literally" you mean "figuratively". Flu is what's supposed to make you puke, not criticism.

I am frustrated because I was looking for more feedback. I was offended that when I tried to explain what I was going for, instead of a "well, maybe if you had...etc" that I was hoping for, I got the impression that what I was attempting was not being considered worthwhile, and I was being told I was whiny. I don't appreciate that, and I think it's stupid to think anyone would.

What you were going for with your comic is relevant for you, but it's not really relevant for a reader. For reader, the only relevant thing is what you achieved. LC is offering what a reader might see in your comic, and that's one possible reflection of what you achieved. While this may not be the only possible reflection, as LC is certainly not representative of all the readers out there, it is one potentially useful variable in calculating how your comic is being read. Maybe it's not the kind of bullet-points feedback you'd get from Joe Cubert, but it is not useless, and it's nothing to be angry about.

The thing that you seem to have spent your first posts on, the "what I intended to achieve" is therefore not relevant and LC denying it's relevancy is probably why you didn't get a reaction you wanted and maybe why you felt you were treated like a noob. From my point of view, frankly, it seemed like you weren't so much "pursuing communication" and "clarifying things" as trying to talk LC into your opinion, pushing the "you didn't read the comic right" argument. And he may as well have not, but that's moot, because he's a reader like any other, and to your knowing representative of a part of potential readership who'll all read it the same "wrong" way, and you won't have a chance to explain your intentions each of them. As it is, even if you talk LC into your point of view, what have you achieved? One meager, single reader? Definitely not worth the argument.

As for that issue of work was being worthwhile, I'm guessing you get that from LC's skepticism about tolkienian fantasy which, I think, anyone who's read more than a few "crew goes on a big quest" webcomics has. But he doesn't reject the genre alltogether, he's just asking for originality, deviation from formula. So I don't think he was saying that your work was not worthwhile as in salvageable, just that it needs more deviation from standard genre elements, things that make your comic different from all the other webcomics in fantasy landscape, things that, for me as a reader, would make your comic irreplaceable with some other comic of the genre.

I don't think anyone called you "whiny" (correct me if I'm wrong, but I searched the page to be sure). Words like "defensive" and "overreacting" were thrown, but they are very different from "whiny". "Whiny" describes a person (as in a person prone to whining), while "defensive" and "overreacting" describe behaviour of a person in one particular situation. Whiny is a personal insult directed at your being while those other two are just descriptions of your behaviour here as others saw it. So again there's nothing to be upset about, since noone insulted you, just suggested that you approach the issue with, hmm, less intensity.

And if you're wondering what this "intensity" is, it's this kind of aggressive language such as this "and I think it's stupid to think anyone would" quip. The strong word "stupid" is not there on accident - it's there to express strength of your feelings. It's also not accidental that the word is not addressed at anyone particular, because then you can't be called up on insulting anyone. But the word is in the air. It implies things: that you're angry, that you would gladly call someone stupid if etiquette allowed and so on. Hell, it's pretty much a backhanded insult. Noone here is touchy enough to actually be offended by such thing, but if you're wondering why people thought you were defensive and overreacting, the reason might be this kind of aggressive tone. It's a tone that escalates the volume of discussion. Compare it to Cuddly or Ulario's, which are pretty much tailored to tone down the discussion.
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
 
Posts: 29933
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby Ulario on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:58 am

Sly Eagle wrote:All, right, I was just going to walk away because I was getting pissed off about being treated like a n00b, but I'm going to try one more time to explain myself.

I was not butthurt about this review. This is hardly the worst review I've ever gotten. I got one a few years back that literally had me hugging the toilet puking. This was nothing like that review.

I am frustrated because I was looking for more feedback. I was offended that when I tried to explain what I was going for, instead of a "well, maybe if you had...etc" that I was hoping for, I got the impression that what I was attempting was not being considered worthwhile, and I was being told I was whiny. I don't appreciate that, and I think it's stupid to think anyone would.

On the subject of beta readers, that one's a sore spot for me. I don't have any for this comic (other than my co-artist who tends for "looks good" responses), and all of my writing friends either won't do it because they'd rather see it when it's a comic because it's "too hard" to beta when it's just a script or they don't want spoilers (or they don't have the time). After ten years of beta-ing for other people you'd think the beta karma would turn around, but you'd be wrong. Perhaps my problem is I tend to gravitate towards fellow novelists, who I think will understand my pacing and thematic development better than weekly/monthly publication people.


Uhm yeah, wow. You've really twisted around what I and everyone else here have said here. The words 'whiny' and 'n00b' were never used nor even implied and I was talking (err typing) to you in a very calm and honest manner. Normally in situations like this I'd offer my services to beta read, but seeing the aggressive attitude that you've shown here... I'd be afraid of you showing that towards me if I do beta read and I really don't need that kind of stress...

McDuffles pretty much explained everything I was thinking, so I don't have anything else to add.
User avatar
Ulario
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 am
Location: Once Upon a Time in Michigan

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am

McDuffies wrote:I don't think anyone called you "whiny"

Well, I did say he/she was being silly, though in my defense it was only after the "I'm taking my ball and going home" proposition arose.

Tho' I concur with Ulario, any newness wasn't the reason behind the response Sly Eagle's had. This isn't a decidedly insular community that aims to exclude. The response would surely have been the same even if it had been toward someone who's been here for years and years. Though usually someone who's been here that long would have probably unleashed such a response years earlier and already been called on it.

How many times can I say "though" in one post!


edited to add that I just realized Sly Eagle's actually been around for a long while, but just hasn't posted often in the past handful of years. I suppose then that "being treated like a noob" was intended as simile as opposed to literal description.
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:51 pm

McDuffies wrote:
Sly Eagle wrote:I got one a few years back that literally had me hugging the toilet puking. This was nothing like that review.

I really hope that by "literally" you mean "figuratively". Flu is what's supposed to make you puke, not criticism.


Well I'll admit LC's review of Flying Tigers certainly had me feeling queasy in the stomach (probably because of how it upset me) so it is possible to have a bad physical reaction to upsetting events.

LibertyCabbage wrote:Webcomic Above is only a few weeks away, and that's a great opportunity to get a variety of perspectives. I'll be participating in it as well

oh crap...

Nah it's cool :lol:
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Webcomic: Empires of Steam
URL: http://empiresofsteam.comicgenesis.com/
Creator/s: Chris Downey
Run: 9/08-current
Schedule: About once a month
Section/s: 4/11-4/12

Website: The creator seems to only have a bare minimum of HTML skills, and while I don't expect every webcartoonist to be a coding guru, I think someone should be at least fairly familiar with HTML if they're gonna maintain a website. Here are a few pointers:

- The "contact" button gives a "This file does not exist" error. An easy temporary solution would be to change the link to something like < a href="mailto:youraddress@gmail.com >.

- All the linked images have unattractive blue borders around them. This can be turned off by adding border=0 to the < img > tags.

- The site's main table is 1460 pixels wide, which is more than a lot of people's desktop resolutions. I don't see any reason for it to be that large.

- The "by Chris Downey" header on the "archive" page is left-aligned, while everything else on the page is centered.

- Almost all of the text and links use the default font and color settings. The creator can easily customize the colors by adding text=, link=, alink=, and vlink= properties to the < body > tag, and the font can be changed by adding body {font-family:arial} inside the < style > tags (or whatever font you wanna use).

It's disappointing that the site's only supplemental page besides the FAQ page, the "extras" section, still just says "Coming soon!" even though the creator started the webcomic more than three years ago. I think the site's color scheme could use some work, too, although the custom navigation buttons look pretty cool.

Lastly, the update schedule definitely could use some improvement, although based on the comments on the site, the creator's obviously very aware of this problem.

Writing: Empires of Steam has an intriguing plot about a mysterious robot discovered by a scientist, and the creator's notably capable at conveying the tension and excitement of the scene. My favorite part's probably this page, where the robot slowly awakens in the foreground while the protagonists are distracted in the background. The robot itself is portrayed in fairly creative way, with its insides vaguely resembling the interior of a modern electronic device, and its tactful reaction to the assistant's facial expression suggests a more sophisticated level of intelligence than I expected. The difference between the protagonists is also interesting, with the scientist's deliberate nature clashing with the assistant's impulsiveness, as we see when she mischeviously extracts a device from the robot while he's lost in thought.

Art: The creator has a similar problem to what I described in my reviews of Without Moonlight and Villain, in that the art constantly jumps around between various levels of realism. Sometimes Empires of Steam is more mixed-up than those comics, though, like in the bottom panel here, where the face is notably cartoony compared to the rest of the drawing. I gave the creator the benefit of the doubt at first that it was a deliberate stylistic move, but the more I read, the more it seemed to me like the creator just doesn't really have a clear idea of how he wants the comic to look. For instance, the characters' eyes frequently alternate between cartoony circles and realistic ovals, the creator puts a significant amount of effort into shading facial features in some pages, and sometimes the characters are drawn notably more realistically than in other parts of the comic.

While this clumsiness has a harmful effect on the comic's quality, I don't see it as being entirely negative. The creator comments on Dec. 19, 2011, "That was a rough semester. Basically, I was taking an illustration class where I decided to push myself, a drawing class where I had no choice but to be pushed, and the worst art history class I've ever taken. On the plus side, I came out of it all as a better artist." These 20 pages seem to be an exhibit of awkward "growing pains," where the creator's quickly improving but isn't yet comfortable or confident with his developing abilities. In the short term the results are kinda offputting, but I think it's generally much preferable to the work of an creator who gets stuck doing the same unattractive style for a number of years.

That said, I think one reason the creator's having a hard time with faces is that he's relying too much on the coloring to make them look right. If you take a look at professional penciling and inking, you'll see that the facial features are generally more defined than this creator does it, with aspects like cheekbones, jawlines, eye lines, brows, and nose and chin lines being factored in before the page even gets to the coloring stage.

The other downside of the art's that there's not enough going on in the backgrounds. I see that there's a cabinet, a box, and a table in the laboratory, but the backgrounds are too minimal for me to see the scenes as much more than the characters talking to each other in an empty room. And in the opening scene with Lonestar, they actually are in an empty room. It's the creator's creative decision for the story's setting to be in confined spaces, and that creative decision should be accompanied by an approach for making these settings more visually interesting.

Overall: Even though the creator's still in the middle of a learning phase, this webcomic manages to be a fairly enjoyable read, and it presents some reasonably original characters and concepts. The lackadaisical update schedule's gonna continue to be a major problem, but I think Empires of Steam could be a pretty good webcomic if the creator can make a more significant commitment to the project.
Last edited by LibertyCabbage on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm

RobboAKAScooby wrote:
LibertyCabbage wrote:Webcomic Above is only a few weeks away, and that's a great opportunity to get a variety of perspectives. I'll be participating in it as well

oh crap...

Nah it's cool :lol:

I figure it's only fair if I play the role of the reviewee once in a while. =P
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby McDuffies on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:How many times can I say "though" in one post!

What are you, Homer Simpson?

Well I'll admit LC's review of Flying Tigers certainly had me feeling queasy in the stomach (probably because of how it upset me) so it is possible to have a bad physical reaction to upsetting events.

That is very weird to me because I've been doing comics since I can remember and I'm passionate about them as the next guy, and can't imagine being depressed or angered by criticism of rejection of my comic, but certainly not physically ill.
You folks should toughen up. Go do sports or something.
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
 
Posts: 29933
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:06 am

McDuffies wrote:
Well I'll admit LC's review of Flying Tigers certainly had me feeling queasy in the stomach (probably because of how it upset me) so it is possible to have a bad physical reaction to upsetting events.

That is very weird to me because I've been doing comics since I can remember and I'm passionate about them as the next guy, and can't imagine being depressed or angered by criticism of rejection of my comic, but certainly not physically ill.
You folks should toughen up. Go do sports or something.


Well it was a bizzare one time thing and because of what it seemed to say about me not my comic (which we've already extensively covered back on page 2), I've certainly never been upset by having someone tell me my work is crap...

...but you're right, so to direct an Aussie phrase at myself, "Take a spoonful of cement and harden the F*** up"
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 am

I get the tummy squigglies too, even if it winds up being a kindly review. I guess it's the comic equivalent of stage fright for me. Never to the point of actually getting sick, but maybe that's because I haven't had my work torn apart properly yet :lol:
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm going on vay-cay for a few days, so I won't be reviewing anything 'til next week. I'll still be checking the forums here and there on my phone, though.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:46 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I'm going on vay-cay for a few days.

Enjoy!
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby McDuffies on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I get the tummy squigglies too, even if it winds up being a kindly review. I guess it's the comic equivalent of stage fright for me. Never to the point of actually getting sick, but maybe that's because I haven't had my work torn apart properly yet :lol:

Oh I get those too, all the time. Specially right before I read it, when I still don't know whether it's good or bad.
And I can't say that I was never torn apart cause our album got some really bad press here and there. The worse case of them was actually very amusing when I started rehashing it with band mates and laughing at wrong assumptions they made about us and our assumptions... not the most advisable thing to do but it's damage control and also it's behind their back. :P
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
 
Posts: 29933
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LadySol on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:10 am

@ THE REVIEW
Webcomic: Quest
URL: http://quest.comicgenesis.com/
Creator/s: Elsie Denton
Run: 4/05-current
Schedule: Mondays
Section: Ch. 20, "Temptation"


Thanks for reviewing my comic. It was a surpise. I hope I'll be able to correct all of the technical problems you mentioned when I have regular and prolonged access to a computer again. They bother me as well, I just can't fix them at the moment. There are some downsides to traveling abroad without your computer. Also, thanks for pointing out that the forum was down. I hadn't realized it was, I'll have to look into why.

Other than that, I'd say your comments were mostly to the point considering that you only reviewed Episode 20. In Episode 17 the characters had been involved in a rather severe fight with the Baron's men. So his hospitable treatment of them, and overall disreguard for their previous violent incursion into his town, was supposed to come off as unnerving, thereby explaining why the characters, and Katie in particular, don't trust him. Without reading the previous episode though there really isn't much context, besides being rounded up by nearly fifty guards and the forced overnight march (which I just alluded to and didn't show, therefore it lacked impact), so I can see how you were confused.

:P As far as ugly faces go I can't really argue with that, as they were all supposed to look exhuasted since they'd all just gone for two days and nights without sleep. It is very difficult to look anything besides ugly under those circumstances. But you are right, my anatomy does suffer inconsistancies, which I am continually attempting to refine. I make progress, but it is a long road. I believe I've passed the milestone of successfully conveying expressions though, which is highly important for graphic story telling.

I'll have to look into the captialization issue. I do it to indicate a medium voice between normal speech and a shout. Since I write my text by hand it is much easier than bold and underlining looks bad. I should probably just go ahead and use a font like the rest of the world. Something else to do when I get back to a computer.

Anyway, thanks again. It is good to get the word out. I'm always looking to improve and it is hard to see the comic as an outside reader. I'm glad you found the dialouge natural and didn't find any problems with the flow of the comic besides the extra characer images (I agree, they are annoying at this point). These are points I worry about frequently.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image: http://quest.comicgenesis.com
User avatar
LadySol
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Chile

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:36 am

LadySol wrote:Other than that, I'd say your comments were mostly to the point considering that you only reviewed Episode 20. In Episode 17 the characters had been involved in a rather severe fight with the Baron's men. So his hospitable treatment of them, and overall disreguard for their previous violent incursion into his town, was supposed to come off as unnerving, thereby explaining why the characters, and Katie in particular, don't trust him. Without reading the previous episode though there really isn't much context, besides being rounded up by nearly fifty guards and the forced overnight march (which I just alluded to and didn't show, therefore it lacked impact), so I can see how you were confused.

Here is a good example of a good way to respond when you feel a critic's thoughts were somewhat unfounded.

Hi LadySol! Welcome back to the forums :)
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 3117
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup

Re: I'll review your webcomic.

Postby LadySol on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 am

Hi LadySol! Welcome back to the forums :)

Thanks, it's been awhile since I've shown my face online.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image: http://quest.comicgenesis.com
User avatar
LadySol
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Chile

PreviousNext

 

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest