14 ways to spot a bad critic
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: 14 ways to spot a bad critic
I don't know, intuition goes a long way. Specially if art and writing are made by the same person, then they possess the same sensibility, they're formed by the same influences.
- MichaelYakutis
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 am
- Contact:
Re: 14 ways to spot a bad critic
Since this has become the longest thread in all of history, I didn’t read the whole thing so maybe someone has already said this:
Bad critics (I would rather call them thoughtless critics) should remember that even bad publicity is good publicity. PERIOD!!!!
So if they truly hate your work the best thing to do is just not read it anymore. This is something most are unable to do. The article has some great points, and some bad ones (all of which have already been discussed and reflect my opinions so I won’t bother to reiterate what someone else has already said). I mean really, you can tell a thoughful critic from a thoughtless one pretty easily.
Either way, it was a fun article to read haha.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go watch Madmen now….
Bad critics (I would rather call them thoughtless critics) should remember that even bad publicity is good publicity. PERIOD!!!!
So if they truly hate your work the best thing to do is just not read it anymore. This is something most are unable to do. The article has some great points, and some bad ones (all of which have already been discussed and reflect my opinions so I won’t bother to reiterate what someone else has already said). I mean really, you can tell a thoughful critic from a thoughtless one pretty easily.
Either way, it was a fun article to read haha.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go watch Madmen now….
- robotthepirate
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 563
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 am
- Location: Staffordshire, UK
- Contact:
Re: 14 ways to spot a bad critic
4. Anyone who writes “period” as a way of re-enforcing a previous point.
6. Anyone using multiple exclamation marks or caps lock.
Irony, intended or not? The children need to know! (Editors comment: Ignore that second sentence, it's him being him again)MichaelYakutis wrote: PERIOD!!!!
On a relevant note, for anyone in the UK watching The Voice UK (I have no idea what the judges are like from The Voices around the world). Will.I.Am is one of our judges and I've noticed that he really doesn't like giving constructive complements. Early on in the contest he was full of constructive criticism for everyone but as times gone on and he's getting more competitive he seems willing to point out flaws in the other judges teams, but when they do well he doesn't like to say what they did well because he doesn't want to help them (I presume). He doesn't point out the flaws of his own team live on air, but I imagine he's more honest with them when they're off air.
So, my point. I respect him less as a judge because he lets his own agenda rule his criticism rather than being honest, but I'm not sure that actually makes him a bad critic. It comes under the field of “Why is this person reviewing my work?” In this case it's because he's obliged to but the less he says the better for him.
- MichaelYakutis
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 am
- Contact:
Re: 14 ways to spot a bad critic
[quote="robotthepirate
Irony, intended or not? The children need to know![/quote]
Very intended, yes lol.
Irony, intended or not? The children need to know![/quote]
Very intended, yes lol.






