Fingers

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

User avatar
Murmillo
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:04 pm
Contact:

Fingers

Post by Murmillo »

Anybody else have trouble drawing em. For some reason, they always look fat or way too sucky...
Willin: LEAST UPDATED WEB COMIC EVER!

User avatar
Nightgaunt
Regular Poster
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Post by Nightgaunt »

Yes. I usually go for that glove-style thing so I can avoid drawing fingers, but I found a pretty useful tutorial at http://pillarsoffaith.keenspace.com/tutorial.html and I think I might try out some of those tricks at some point.

User avatar
Krytos55
Regular Poster
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:51 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH, United States of Robot Facisim v2.0
Contact:

Post by Krytos55 »

I usually just have the hand in a fist or off screen if I can. Alothough it's not like they're any worse than the rest of my art.

A thing that may help though is just picking up a drawing class textbook and seeing how it's done there.
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/hands/hands.htm
Polykarbon also has a useful tutorial.

Your best bet is just to draw hands. Draw your own if you have a couple minutes. If you find a pose that's difficult in your comic, pose yourself. You are your own best model.

User avatar
Platypus
Regular Poster
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:00 pm

Post by Platypus »

Create a new species with only 3 fingers ! :wink:

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

You can't get better at drawing something if you don't draw it so just practice and practice.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
JinguJ
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:59 am
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Post by JinguJ »

Usually I start with much rougher, simpler sketch of this
Image

The white dots as the joints, and then I add the flesh.

Most importantly, use your own hand as the model.
Something is missing. I guess.
Image
http://starbooze.keenspace.com

User avatar
Nightgaunt
Regular Poster
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Post by Nightgaunt »

Or you could just draw everyone with claws - they'd all be lobster-people!
http://ruetheday.keenspace.com Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners.

User avatar
Platypus
Regular Poster
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:00 pm

Post by Platypus »

Tho' I must add that anime especially the action and horror genre has an abundance of nice hand sketches ...

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Heh. I mentioned this after one of my own cartoons. How somehow I managed to learn how to draw my characters well enough that I no longer needed an eraser to redo them and get the faces right. Now all I needed to do was work on those fingers.

Next cartoon I mentioned that they now looked like chimp hands, but I guess evolution was working, so it's only a matter of time before they evolve into real people hands...

Also, I found a hand position I could usually draw pretty well, so I've been posing my characters with hands in similar positions for a while. Gets me used to drawing them in a different pose, and soon I am sure I will find it necessary to evolve that pose to fit something else as well. Before too long I'll no doubt have a few different poses developed that I can use depending on what is needed.

Um...I guess I could compress that into one word, eh?

Practice?
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Everyone has trouble drawing fingers.

I've been drawing for years, have taken several life-drawing classes and I still have trouble with them in certain positions.

The good news is that while they look horrible to you, most people don't really pay much attention to hands...so you can take shortcuts...

BRP
Regular Poster
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Centreville, VA
Contact:

Post by BRP »

But on the flip side, everyone knows what a hand is supposed to look like. I have this lazy habit of making hands inconspicuous. Just don't draw something that's wrong where people will really notice it, I guess.
Is cleaning up after your past self dishonest or just prudent?

I'm not sure, but I'm doing it in hopes it's the latter. [Signature deleted.]

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

I've actually found it helps to just have just three fingers (three not counting the thumb) since cartoony fingers are thicker that realistic finger, thus four looks like a little too many.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

We're soon working on a simple storyline where during a primary school science lesson the kids' experiment goes horribly wrong and everyone grows a fourth finger.

For several strips we plan on seeing how they go about reversing this disastrous turn of events, because 1) it looks unnatural, 2) it feels unnatural, and 3) no one's gloves fit any more...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Xmung
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Oz
Contact:

Post by Xmung »

years ago i worked for a company that made educational comics for disadvantaged youth - it was great to work there, especially since there was a 'senior cartoonist' who was just excellent, so i learnt a lot from him. it was rather crushing though when he made the comment that the way i drew hands looked like a bunch of bananas! :(
after that i tried very hard to get them looking more natural. i agree with the comment above that most people don't pay a lot of attention to them, but it a matter of pride, eh?
having someone to model their hand in difficult positions or gestures is useful.
Magellan ... super hero cadets - their worst enemy is themselves!
Loxie and Zoot ... cos nudists have adventures too y'know!

Ruxen
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:14 pm
Location: Canadaing along!
Contact:

Post by Ruxen »

Ewww hands. I pretty much do what JinguJ does in terms of hands. Most of the time if you have a comic comic you can get away with hand shortcuts, a good way to dig your own grave is by strategically placing them though. Like having all your characters put their hands behind them, in their pockets or whatever. People notice things like that fairly often, especially if you keep doing it. :oops:
Image

Anotherday
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:06 pm

Post by Anotherday »

ugh I HATE drawing hands. My fingers always come out looking totally deformed no matter what I do. No, seriously O_O

I found a PRETTY good site on drawing hands and figures, but I still have issues with drawing them. Here it is:

http://www.bakaneko.com/

under the "hands" section. Still, she makes it look so easy...when it's really very hard.

User avatar
Taiwanimation
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Post by Taiwanimation »

Looking at some comics, you'd almost think that showing the hands is a kind of obscenity. Actually it'd make a great HNTRAC joke, black rectangles in place of hands. (How not to run a comic, hntrac.keenspace.com)
Image

User avatar
Xmung
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Oz
Contact:

Post by Xmung »

travelling home on the train yesterday i got a bit fascinated looking at all the hands of the other passengers... so many different ways people casually use their hands - holding books/papers/magazines, scratching their head, rubbing their chin, clasped in their laps, er picking their nose! next time i'll have to secretly try sketching a few and start up a 'hand gesture bank'. i figure this is the best way to get okay with hands - draw as many from real life as possible.
Magellan ... super hero cadets - their worst enemy is themselves!
Loxie and Zoot ... cos nudists have adventures too y'know!

User avatar
Axonite
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: NEPA
Contact:

Post by Axonite »

There's a reason I usually draw my one regular human character with his hands in his jacket pockets... :)

Post Reply