Calen's Art

Postby Burke on Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:40 am

The attention to detail is just fantastic, all the little touches which never make you wonder precisely what you're looking- I mean he remember the little square wall attachments for the barber's mirror- the scissors are unquestionably <i>barber's<i> scissors. But then on top of that he draws in this slick, fluid, New Yorker-esque style that looks like no-one else.

PLus- He writes like a dream. Damn the man.

I did have a question though, Caleb- what do you use for reference? IS it old books or do you take a lot of photos or is it a combination of both.
GRIMBLES
<A HREF="http://grimbles.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>grimbles.keenspace.com</A>
Burke
Regular Poster

Postby Vinnie Noodle Doodle on Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:31 am

First of all, I don't know what part of that amazing review I'll use in my sig, but I will be using it.

I've got some Barber Shop reference books, expensive, but well worth it. I also study artists I like, like Eisner and Hirschfeld. I do have a book that I find to be indispensible for some things by artist Jack Hamm called "Drawing & Cartooning for Laughs". Also, I look for old 50's panel gag collections anywhere I can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vinnie Noodle Doodle on 2002-04-19 19:01 ]</font>
Vinnie Noodle Doodle
Regular Poster

Postby Burke on Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:10 pm

Chirst and another thing- the cables from the hanginh shears on the shelf lead down into the third panel-

Notice the moll's sparkler-

Notice how Caleb remembers to draw the reflection of the woman's arm in the mirror

Like I said Damn the Man-

Thanks for the tips Caleb- I've been trying to use actual photos a lot more than I used to (I've always been a bit too lazy) but I'm trying to get cheap books on general drawing courses (as they always have good archetypes).

I've gotten a bunch of reference pics for some special grimbles strips which (all going well ) I hope to start next week. Ket's hope I can take inspiration from you and do them well.
Burke
Regular Poster

Postby Vinnie Noodle Doodle on Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:08 pm

As flattered as I am, you do amazing on your own bro. You hardly need any help, let alone from me. Although it is nice to know that I can inspire the fire, so to speak.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vinnie Noodle Doodle on 2002-04-19 19:02 ]</font>
Vinnie Noodle Doodle
Regular Poster

Return to VND