Bad Baaaaaaaad Cartoons.

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6185 on Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:07 pm

Does anyone remember the cartoon "Rocket Robin Hood"?

Sweet Monkey Jesus! Did that cartoon suck!
It was worse than "The Mighty Hercules" (if that is even possible).
ZOMBIE USER 6185
Regular Poster

Postby Thwack on Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:36 pm

Clearly you've never seen "Space Monkeys" which featured such thinly vailed sexual innuendo as, for the purposes of luring a monster out, one character offers to be the "monster bait." Obviously, that cartoon didn't last long.
-Aaron Reiser of <a href="http://thwack.keenspace.com/" target="_blank">Thwack!!</a>, part of the <a href="http://turbocool.keenspace.com/">Turbocool Network</a>!
Thwack
Regular Poster

Postby Psiogen on Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:54 pm

Have you people never seen "Captain Planet and the Planeteers" or something??
Psiogen
Cartoon Hero

Postby KathleenJ on Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:15 pm

My favorite Planeteer was the little guy, who had the comparatively useless power of "Heart".
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby Al_fayyed on Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:37 pm

I remember the kid, but I can't remember his name. For whatever reason, all the Hanna Barbara/Turner characters are mixed up in my head, especially the swarthy ones with bad accents. Hadji was cooler, though; he had politically incorrect "Hindu" powers or something.

Was the "heart" kid's name something that rhymed with "Hadji"?

The worst part about Captain Planet, though, were the villains. Why was pollution an end in itself?
- Akhmed Al-Fayyed
Writer of Bhag and professional sojourner.
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6185 on Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:18 pm

Ah, captain planet the superhero with the mullet. Business in the front, party in the back.

Still it's no "Jem and the Holograms"
ZOMBIE USER 6185
Regular Poster

Postby Loserz Erik on Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:33 pm

I am ashamed to say I remember the name of the computer from Jem and the Rockers: "Synergy", yet I cannot remember what I had for lunch three days ago.

Almost everything Hanna Barbara has ever made sucks big fat smelly ass in my personal opinion.
Loserz Erik
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6185 on Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:16 am

"HammerMan"

nuff said
ZOMBIE USER 6185
Regular Poster

Postby Al_fayyed on Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:39 am

I remember liking Jem back in the day, but more for its potential than its actual storyline -- I would do more with Synergy than become a rock star (I believe "ruling the world" was a valid objective). Of course, when one's eight and nine, the kind of mischief one thinks of pales in comparison to the evil things I could do with an virtual-reality creating artificial intelligence now.

That may or may not be why I am a big fan of Hime-chan no Ribbon; I just like the excessively powerful magical toys.

And I never saw Hammerman, just the commercials. That was enough. I think I also passed on the one with "Super Wayne Gretzky," although I can't remember what that one was called.

Jackie Chan Adventures isn't so bad, if you can get over the fact that Jackie Chan decided to find someone else to do his voice, and picked a guy who delivers all his lines in a Charlie Chan accent.
- Akhmed Al-Fayyed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:21 am

Oh man...so much cartoon crapitude...
The one I remember that had Wayne Gretzky was called "Pro Stars", and it featured the hero team of Gretzky, Michael Jordan, and Bo Jackson. Wayne had the role of the "funny guy" who was often messing things up, and I'm pretty sure Jordan was some kind of scientific/mechanical genius.
There was also a breakfast cereal of the same name, which I think may have actually come first, and the cartoon was just a spin off of that.
Ooh, and who remembers the short-lived ripoff clone of Jem and the Holograms, called "Barbie and the Rockers"?
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby Al_fayyed on Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:18 am

I'm pretty sure Jordan was some kind of scientific/mechanical genius.

Well, I can say as a Metro-DC area native that he was not an economic genius when it came to investing in the Wizards.

He can dunk like nobody else, though.

I was raised on cereals without refined sugar, so I don't remember the cereal, and sadly (or fortunately) I do not remember Barbie and the Rockers.

Barbie now has computer games where she's a spy or a detective, but I can't imagine they'd be as amusing as those sound.

"So, Ken, you expect me to talk?"
"No, Barbie, I expect you to die! Ha ha ha!"
- Akhmed Al-Fayyed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Postby Psiogen on Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:17 pm

On 2002-04-13 20:37, al_fayyed wrote:

The worst part about Captain Planet, though, were the villains. Why was pollution an end in itself?

My favorite was the War on Drugs propaganda episode, where they had this drug called Bliss that instantly turned people into mindless zombies.

"Bliiiiiiiiissssss.... bliiiiiiiiissssssss...."
Sylvan, fadin motherfuckers like bleach.
Image Image
Last edited by Sailor Moon on Fri Bec 55th, 9239 56:82 pm; edited 229425 times in total.
Psiogen
Cartoon Hero

Postby Justinpie on Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:18 pm

Anybody remember the Toxic Avenger? It was a horribly done movie megacheese series that was changed into a cartoon series, to cash in on the post-Ninja Turtles "hipster mutants" motif.

It kind of reminded me of the Tick, but not nearly as good.

Oh, and hey! Remember the Pirates of Black Water? THAT was messed up. They had that bird-dragon thingy too. Weird. What was so bad about black water anyway, aside from being gross?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: justinpie on 2002-04-14 19:20 ]</font>
Justinpie
Regular Poster

Postby Psiogen on Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:22 pm

The cast and crew of Toxic Avenger 2 and 3 stayed at my house for a while during the filming... I think we might even be in the credits, but I don't remember...
Sylvan, fadin motherfuckers like bleach.
Image Image
Last edited by Sailor Moon on Fri Bec 55th, 9239 56:82 pm; edited 229425 times in total.
Psiogen
Cartoon Hero

Postby Crescentmoon76 on Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:27 pm

I dunno I always thought Linka was kind of hot.
Crescentmoon76
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6185 on Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:13 pm

Actually I kinda liked Pirates of black water.... sorta.... actually not really.

If they were so afraid of Dark Water, why didn't they just stay on land?

PS: Remember the Mr. T cartoon?
ZOMBIE USER 6185
Regular Poster

Postby Al_fayyed on Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:22 pm

If they were so afraid of Dark Water, why didn't they just stay on land?

No clue. Maybe it has something to do with that mystery black spot off the coast of Florida.

Of course, that would be accusing Hanna-Barbara of being prophetic, and I don't think pink slimes with black eyeballs are going to be in our future.
Remember the Mr. T cartoon?

Only the one where the crossword puzzles hypnotize the old lady into almost jumping off the Statue of Liberty. Back before when it was part of New Jersey.
- Akhmed Al-Fayyed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Postby Loserz Erik on Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:41 pm

I remember Pirates of the Black Water, but barely. The only things I can remember is the black water and that it did something bad, and I think there was a hot chick in it too.
Loserz Erik
Regular Poster

Postby EmisonEagle on Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:46 am

What about these great cartoons?
Galaxy High?
Samurai Pizza Cats?
MASK (the vehicles not green guy)?
EmisonEagle
Regular Poster

Postby Justinpie on Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:23 am

I remember the first and last vaguely (I think Mask was something with like cars that transformed into motorcycles and hovercrafts and stuff. And there was some Johnny Quest kind of character for whom death was too good.)

I remember the Samurai Pizza Cats really well though! They did a really creative job by dubbing it from Japanese. There would be a sign or something in written in Japanese (since those weren't dubbed) and the characters would be like "man, I can't read all this gibberish!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: justinpie on 2002-04-18 07:25 ]</font>
Justinpie
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Turbocool