Hey!

Hey!

Postby Profdolchissimo on Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:08 am

Not long ago there was a female character introduced, and she made a few brief apperances. She hasn't been seen for a while, which I imagine isn't that strange for a comic, but what I do find strange is that she didn't make the "characters" page. I bet she doesn't even have a name yet! Gentlemen, this is unacceptable. Just a thought.

WAWAWA
Danster
Profdolchissimo
Regular Poster

Postby JimRob on Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:05 pm

It's Cecilia, isn't it?

I wouldn't worry: comics cast pages are generally updated pretty infrequently. I would imagine.
JimRob
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 8454 on Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:23 pm

Cecilia hasn't appeared since the August 1st strip, which seems like a long time but it's only like 4 strips ago. i think.
actually, i think i'm going to start the MWF schedule again this week, but don't quote me in court on that.

and jim's right on this one. but tomorrow i might update the cast page, now that you made me think about it.
ZOMBIE USER 8454
Regular Poster

Postby ScottE on Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:05 pm

I had difficulty telling the character was female.

I either have a problem sexing cartoon animals or more dimorphism is called for.
ScottE
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 8454 on Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:38 am

when i created Cecilia, i was hoping i could make a character that looked effeminate enough without iconizing her with eyelashes and jewelry. i don't think there's anything ridiculously WRONG with using these things, but 1) i wanted to challenge myself and 2) i thought eye makeup and ornature would be contrary to the character. some people could tell she was supposed to be a girl, but probably even more people couldn't. brrgh.

there's a nice little essay in my Progress page i wrote while the character was under wraps, that is relevant to this.
ZOMBIE USER 8454
Regular Poster

Postby ScottE on Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:25 am

PROKOFIEV2000 wrote:when i created Cecilia, i was hoping i could make a character that looked effeminate enough without iconizing her with eyelashes and jewelry. i don't think there's anything ridiculously WRONG with using these things, but 1) i wanted to challenge myself and 2) i thought eye makeup and ornature would be contrary to the character. some people could tell she was supposed to be a girl, but probably even more people couldn't. brrgh.

there's a nice little essay in my Progress page i wrote while the character was under wraps, that is relevant to this.

That page is awesome, BTW. I like seeing that sort of "creation in progress" stuff.

Well, it works for most people, anyway. Stephen Notley even does cartoon commentary on many of the strips for Bob the Angry Flower, and I like those, too.

On the other note, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about designing female characters. The one female cast member of my old strip is stereotypically rendered, but that may be because the character was originally designed as a male--one I'd been drawing for, like, 15 years.

The new strip works somewhat more with hyoomans, so I think it won't be as difficult for me.

But animals should make it easy: females are more drab, generally bigger, and more robust than males.
ScottE
Regular Poster

Return to Quid Pro Quo