Page 1 of 1

Something I Often Wonder...Please Give Your Opinions!

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:24 pm
by Farfarello
I guess this question has several parts, but they're all pretty much the same. It seems to me that only females will write/draw shounen/yaoi pieces. I really haven't seen any shoujo-ai/yuri stuff, but many males seem to think stuff like that is very sexy (perverts). And, on a similiar note, when girls see boy/boy love, they often think it's very cute. Why is this? I've always thought it's because it's something they'll never be a part of (sorry to all pervy males out they, (I'm not saying all males are perverts though) but despite what you think, you will most likely not make it with two hot lesbians, on account of...well...they're not into guys) and therefore it's a curiosity. What're your thoughts?

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:31 pm
by Dracoboy
It's quite simple.
Most men think about sex as getting it on, while most women think of it as being close and sharing and romance. It's just nature.
Notice my use of the word 'most'.

I also wonder about the fact why so few males are creating comics like, let's say' Arcana.
I dunno why that is, but if I could draw I probably would be making such a comic... with lots of very ROMANTIC nekidness XD XD XD

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:02 pm
by ZOMBIE USER 12716
I was thinking about something along those lines just the other day.
This may be going more than slightly off topic, but it's on the same train of thought.
How do gay men act differently from straight ones, that makes them stand out? Personally, I can't tell the difference, unless of course I see to men holding hands and duh.
On your topic, women and men just have different brains and things of that sort. (research project, 7th grade, two months, girl vs guy brain)
They learn different, and are treated different from the day that they're born.
On the note of the drawings, Ribbon is going to have all three types, if mostly focused on heterosexual, just because of Remus and Jocelyn, of course.
Okay.... ^^;;;; Sorry to rant, i guess i'm in a talking mood this eve.

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:20 am
by Mira Fastfire
Shoujo-ai is REALLY hard to find. Well, decent shoujo-ai, at any rate. Non-"lesbian action" that is. ^_^;; Yes, men find it sexy. The way it's been explained to me, is that you don't just have ONE woman being sexy, you have TWO.

*points to a site* http://www.squidge.org/~praxisters/index.html I think that's done by a guy. It feels different from woman-made shounen-ai sites.

I like shounen-ai because it's really sweet. One doesn't see the emotional side of men very often, and to see two men being emotional with each other just hits all the right buttons for me. And the fandom for shounen-ai tends to be less offensive and better drawn.

For shoujo-ai, I like it because I CAN be a part of it. And it's my preferred gender pairing. What I really like the most is the _energy_. It's all..womanly and stuff. ^_^;

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:52 am
by Fathom
most ppl think that im not in the 'most' group, i like more slow, romantic, rather and fast and stupid...What can i say, im a fan boi at heart

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:12 pm
by ROAbubble
Ever heard of the Demon Dairys? Absolutely fabulous manga. The author (not artist) of the first volume was male, and Demon Diary's is a shounen-ai manga.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:31 pm
by Rhea of the Runes
I've heard of Demon Diarys but I haven't had the oppurtunity (i.e money/time) to buy or read any yet. It looks good though. I didn't know there was shonen-ai in there! Score! ^^

But I dunno, I mean one of my friends who writes fanfics of all sorts of gender pairings (apparently writing shojo-ai is frustrating to her XD) She wrote something to the effect of "blah blah blah writing shojo-ai is so creepy," at the end of one of her fics. Weird thing is I'm pretty sure she's bi. Perhaps some guys feel the same thing?

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:56 am
by Yousei
True it is much harder to find male authors/artists of shonen ai or more emotion based shojo ai work but they do exist.

One thing that often discourages males in those fields is the automatic presumption of what it will be like. Most will assume it's more or less porn so only people seeking that will read and then be disapointed. It's much more difficult to build a fanbase.

I wrote shonen ai fanfiction until just recently, I'm taking a break, but I'd keep getting hte same reactions. Readers would have a hard time with the fact I was a guy writing these fics and I got more flames than most because I'm a male author.

I just started a shonen ai webmanga, updates twice a week and have receved e-mails not about the comic but rather people asking what makes me think a guy can do a decent shonen ai manga.

True to most guys it's about sex. But then I'm asexual so that isn't the case.

anyway make you're own mind up, the com ic is http://yousei.keenspace.com and my pen name on fanfiction.net is techno revolution, formally silent lullaby

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:01 am
by Yousei
sorry to do this but I just wanted to add because the main server is down for some reason or another, my comic is down, should be up as soon as the server is.

one last thing is that though there are few male shonen ai writers, there are also few shojo ai writers. I guess there might be a factor about what is more expected and acceptable.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:36 pm
by S. Vash
most people may or may not know this but, quite a significant portion of the male community is bi, though they fiercely deny such alligations. I myself am an out and proud bisexual, and no I'm not confused or greedy, just bi. Well back onto topic, I am a guy who does draw shonen ai that does have that slow romantic feel that you get from female artists. Though I do not have enough done at this point to post my comic, I am hoping to so soon. By the way, Demon Diary is one of the great shonen ai's that is out at this time, and another manga that I fiercely enjoy is Fake, it has plenty of male action to go around.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:37 pm
by S. Vash
most people may or may not know this but, quite a significant portion of the male community is bi, though they fiercely deny such alligations. I myself am an out and proud bisexual, and no I'm not confused or greedy, just bi. Well back onto topic, I am a guy who does draw shonen ai that does have that slow romantic feel that you get from female artists. Though I do not have enough done at this point to post my comic, I am hoping to so soon. By the way, Demon Diary is one of the great shonen ai's that is out at this time, and another manga that I fiercely enjoy is Fake, it has plenty of male action to go around.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:01 pm
by Drfranknfurter
I agree with Mira Fastfire!

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:36 pm
by Tenthousandkings
I think Bart should draw a comic! I'd read it! (Wonder if he will even see this... ^^)

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:44 pm
by Orasa
ROAbubble wrote:Ever heard of the Demon Dairys? Absolutely fabulous manga. The author (not artist) of the first volume was male, and Demon Diary's is a shounen-ai manga.
I've read Demon Diary....I didn't know the author was male though XD. But to me, that's cool ^^. A guy knows his own body far better than a girl could ever know it. I've read a few shounen-ai/yaoi fanfics written by guys and for the most part, it made me feel like they were more realistic, if they were actually written by a guy...

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:05 pm
by Tenthousandkings
the Author od Demon Diaries is male!? XD ::stalks him:: >.> You can't prove anything~!