Harpy names?

Harpy names?

Postby Mei on Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:06 am

I knew I could come to the Arcana boards for help on this question. ^^;

I'm making a Harpy chara, but I don't know what the basis is on Harpy names. Any help with this?

Any other tips on having a Harpy character much appreciated. I'm new to them, never heard of Harpies since going to this comic o.o;
Mei
Regular Poster

Postby Aelyn on Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:38 pm

I have no clue on the names... I don't think there's any set pattern or anything. (I'm thinking of Lord of the Rings here, where if you stick with it long enough you can eventually pick out which names belong to which races.)

If you're making a half-breed harpy, anything would fit really. Pure harpies are pretty proud, distrustful, and don't like other creatures in general. >_> I couldn't say much else, really, because I haven't tested them out yet. Hopefully some harpy stuff will come along sometime soon.

Welcome! n.n
<i>"If you make ships in a bottle, I bet the thing that really makes your heart sink<br>is when you look in, and there at the wheel is Captain Termite."</i>
Aelyn
Regular Poster

Postby Notyetknown on Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:25 am

you know, i was thinking about doing an arcana fanfic. if i did, it would be a first for me. butt my idea of the harpies would go something like this...
(realize i dont know anything bout harpies)

if you notice that the harpies, in apperrance, range from birdlike too humanlike. the more humanlike they are, the more noble and respected they are by the others. this too me gives me the impression that, racially, they desire too be human in many ways. butt being tempermental and stuff, their jealousy oftebn turns too violence... and there you get the modern harpy. their distrustful and pompus attitude comes from the jealousy of humans... that also spreads too the other humanlike races (elves, vampies, werewolves) because they are more human than they preceve themselves too be.

cool huh, ill elaborate more maybe later.
--------
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
Notyetknown
Regular Poster

Postby Chibi tsuki chan on Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:38 am

Harpies

"Robbers". In earlier versions of Greek myth, Harpies were described as beautiful, winged maidens. Later they became winged monsters with the face of an ugly old woman and equipped with crooked, sharp talons. They were represented carrying off persons to the underworld and inflicting punishment or tormenting them. Those persons were never seen again. They robbed the food from Phineus, but were driven away by Cailas and Zetes, the Boreads, and since then they lived on the Strophades. The Harpies were probably the personification of storm winds. They are: Aello, Celaeno, and Ocypete.
Chibi tsuki chan

Postby Chibi tsuki chan on Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:08 am

More:

The Harpies
Description
The Harpies were fierce, filthy, winged monsters who had characteristics of a bird and a woman, similar to that of the early Sirens. Their hideous faces of women with sharp claws mounted on the bodies of vultures inspired both horror and disgust. They could fly as fast as a bolt of lightening.

Origin
The three daughters of Thaumas and Electre called Aello, Ocypete, and Celaeno were originally goddesses with beautiful hair and wings until they were reduced to such fearsome monsters.They were also referred to as "robbers," "snatchers," and "those who seize," meaning that they would steel anything that did not belong to them. They snatched food from their victims or left a loathsome stench rendering it unedible. They were also referred to as the "hounds of Zeus."

Role
They serve Zeus. They are sometimes represented as demons of death carrying away the souls of deceased persons (see the Haryp tomb in the British Museum).The people feared them for it was said that they stole small children and carried away the weak and the wounded.

Stories
One of the most famous stories involves Phineus, the King of Thessaly, who had the gift of seeing into the future. Phineus told Zeus' secrets to others and Zeus took away his sight and sent the Harpies, the "hounds of Zeus," to come after him. The Harpies kept steeling his food and devouring it for themselves and leaving only enough for Phineus to survive. When Jason and the Argonauts visited Phineus, Zetes and Calais, sons of the North Wind, pursued the Harpies through the sky. Iris or Hermes convinced Zeus to remove the Harpies from Phineus.
Chibi tsuki chan

Return to Arcana