The Arena

Postby JJ "The Badass" on Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:56 pm

You wanna talk about this combo you found in MVC2? Wanna share an infinite from Pocket Fighter? Or maybe just wanna get together and see if anyone likes to play as Raiden in CVS2? Well here you go, this would be the place for all questions of fighting games and their general discussion. After all without fighting games where would Pocket Theater be?
-The Badass from the bottom of Pocket Theater's news page!-
"Evil is what I am, death is what I bring!"
JJ "The Badass"

Postby Bokutou on Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:43 pm

so, who actually /does/ have infinites in Pocket Fighter?
Bokutou

Postby JJ "The Badass" on Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:08 am

Its an expression fool! No one does, but trifle with the badass, and I'll be the first to have one on you!
JJ "The Badass"

Postby DJ on Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:15 am

Actually... I remember one psuedo-inifinite with Chun. Kinda lame though and it assumes your opponent isn't smart enough to safe-fall... all you do is build up your supers, then hit the opponent with the Bishoukyaku (the rising kick thingee) and do that over and over till they get dizzy, quickly collect some gems then keep going till you run out of supers...

DJ
DJ
Regular Poster

Postby Bonus-kun on Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:47 am

Ye olde Raiden combo in CvS2:

[ crossup j.D+HP, d.LP x3, RDP+P, QCB+P ]

If your opponent is standing when the combo begins, you can substitute s.LP in the place of the third d.LP for less difficulty. Also, you can juggle a Level 3 Fire Breath at the end if you have the meter for it.

-PVC
Bonus-kun

Postby Anime_duck on Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:16 am

anyone else fought the most evil Dr. Doom, Cable, and Blackheart team in MVC2?

it is complete cheese!
"and duck said "lo this ain't bad" <a href="http://duckscomics.keenspace.com"> Duck's Comcis </a>
Anime_duck
Regular Poster

Postby JJ "The Badass" on Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:07 am

Well actually I fear the Storm/Cable/Sent team far more..sure it takes more skills to play but its more undefeatble. Also Cable + Cyclops assist = viper beam for days.
JJ "The Badass"

Postby Anime_duck on Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:17 pm

haven't fought that one, but those cheese teams should die! they use the

"oh but the timing on it is hard to do" bull crap, and i just wanna smack them in the face with a carp. a dead one. that's been in the sun for a while. named fred.
"and duck said "lo this ain't bad" <a href="http://duckscomics.keenspace.com"> Duck's Comcis </a>
Anime_duck
Regular Poster

Postby DJ on Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:34 am

Yes... those "cheesy" teams can be a big pain... but of course, nothing is worse than playing in a game with infinite taunts and having an opponent's buddy repeatedly press your start button! Oh the aggony!

And I'm *much* too timid for the stabbing or carping approach... :sad:

(I *love* that! A duck, using a carp as a weapon! :lol:)

BTW, *fear* my Juggers, Hulk and B.B. Hood!! :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DJ on 2002-03-01 01:36 ]</font>
DJ
Regular Poster

Postby Bokutou on Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:12 am

Having been on the receiving end of the Omega Red onslought, teams with him aren't slouch, either. maybe with some good call-ins, like with cyclops or cable for during the omega Red throws. and yes, the carp /must/ be named Fred.
Bokutou

Postby Anime_duck on Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:11 am

and you know what's the <big><big><big><b> WORST </b></big></big></big> thing? the guy using one of the ultimate cheese teams called me cheesy for having <blue> Iceman </blue> in my team. That pissed me off so <strike> fuckin </strike> bad i just wanted to pull out fred, and smack him until he smelt like fish!

and people usually think my team sucks, until they fight me. So live on Felicia, Iceman, and Tron/Cammy (it's all depending on how i feel)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anime_duck on 2002-03-01 10:12 ]</font>
Anime_duck
Regular Poster

Postby JJ "The Badass" on Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:49 am

having been a die hard mvc2 player for a good year now and having played some well known players i can say this- "MVC2 is a cheap game and if you don't like being riculously smashed on, then stay away from it" That's it...no "Oh man I can't believe you'd use that!" or "Cable and Sentinel??? That's not fair!" When you say comments like that you're not playing to win, and not playing to win doesn't exactly lead to being highly skilled. Bokutou got the Fred reference there <grin> and you're somewhat right about OR. Unfortunately a great OR still has many issues in dealing with the top tier of characters. Since he spends so much time in the air, he doesn't really make tremondous use of assists being as he can't call them while super-jumping and his omega strike is the only way he can cover his assists. OR is frustrating to play if you're not used to having attacks come at your from unusal angles and he can play a mean cross-up game, but in the face of Sent or Storm he's not so fierce at all. Sometimes I'll throw him on (TEAM RUSSIA!) to mix it up a bit, but I'd never rely on playing good people with him. As for Iceman, he is consider an extremely scrubby character to play because he does unbelievable guard damage while taking none from about 90% of the supers in the game. He only has one aircombo to super strategy and other than that is just a beam fest of no skill. Felicia lacks any kind of solid air game and is only somewhat proficient at rushdown. She has bad recovery on something which will get you punished. Really her only application is as a defense to the Strider/Doom trap but you'd have to be ballsy to try it. Cammy is very solid if you can learn her air combo with the KBA and even OTG into a second one. Her anti air is also pretty useful especially against doom because it goes through the photons. She takes damage like a bitch and really is a challenge to play against the top tier, but the world champ Justin Wong does favor her on his Storm/Sent/Cammy team. So use her, but be careful what you throw out.
JJ "The Badass"

Postby JJ "The Badass" on Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:56 am

Stabbing? That's why you got me <smile glint>

oh and actually juggers and hulk have a 100%
combo...its fierce.

On 2002-03-01 01:34, DJ wrote:
And I'm *much* too timid for the stabbing or carping approach... :sad:

BTW, *fear* my Juggers, Hulk and B.B. Hood!! :cool:

</font>
JJ "The Badass"

Postby DJ on Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:49 pm

having been a die hard mvc2 player for a good year now and having played some well known players i can say this- "MVC2 is a cheap game and if you don't like being riculously smashed on, then stay away from it"

{snip!}

All I have to say is that when I go to the arcade I use little guarding and just go out to smash team's around physically and brutaly... it usually catches them off guard... course then they catch on and smash me *all* around...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DJ on 2002-03-01 14:00 ]</font>
DJ
Regular Poster

Postby Anime_duck on Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:26 pm

i'm not saying it's not fair, it's perfectly fair, it's just agrivating as fuck. as the about 4-6 other guys around me all found out.

gotta say your right about Omega Red, but Iceman isn't just beam stratagey. infact when i use him i hardly ever just beam. and felicia's ground suppport is good for me, if you mix up mid attacks to low attacks, yeah she does have a bit a recorvery probs, but it's not too bad.

yes it's a cheap game, it's easy to play and pull of really cool stuff. but when someone just projectiles the whole screen at non stop (and yes i know there are ways around it, but i can't use those characters NEARLY as well) it's gets very annoying.

if you play, play for fun, and if it's not fun don't play. (that's why half of us just stopped after two games of it.. either that or do the gambit "smack back, and now i jump where you cannot hit me" glitch trick.

but players who you fight and seem unbeatable, and not even in a "i can learn something from this" or a "maybe if i do this" (which most people who play you can learn something from) way, it lowers the fun.
Anime_duck
Regular Poster

Postby DJ on Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:10 am

i'm not saying it's not fair, it's perfectly fair, it's just agrivating as fuck. as the about 4-6 other guys around me all found out.

{snip!}

if you play, play for fun, and if it's not fun don't play.

I'd dare go so far as to say that the game *isn't* fair... Capcom did a bit of a shoddy job programming MvC2 and it shows. If I ever go to an arcade I go for the experience and the atmosphere and the fun of it all... I don't go to try and wow a crowd with my ubber-munchkin 568 hit combo using whomever... I go in to have fun... I don't worry about the mechanics of the game.

Frankly, some of the people who over analyse the game to find all sorts of glitches, combos, infinites, and other weird things kinda freak me out... whatever happened to enjoying the basic "feel" of a game? Why does everything have to be so simply complicated?

(Yes, I understand the need for some strategy... but when Capcom makes a mistake in the programing, you go out of your way to find it, then exploit it... then I think it's sad)

Let's go back to basics people... it's not so bad to enjoy the game. Even with my "basic" and "amateurish" playing I can still hold my own against some of the better players I've met... just mix it up a bit.

I once took out a good player using mostly throws because he wasn't used to people doing it (throwing being "cheap" and all).

Everyone's so concerned about strategy and stuff that the gameplay itself has been sorely lacking lately and nobody cares. They keep tweaking the system and changing things when they don't need to and it makes things worse. If it isn't broke...

*Whew* that was longer than I expected...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DJ on 2002-03-02 01:17 ]</font>
DJ
Regular Poster

Postby JJ "The Badass" on Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:15 am

really its about on what level you want to play the game. if you wanna play just for fun and are content with that then that's fine, i however feel a need to understand sentinel's ranging, storms air combos, and the way to punish assists with cable. i get a lot of enjoyment out of the science of mvc2 and that's why it is still a popular tournament game. there are lots of "cheap" things about it, but on expert level its not near as easily to exploit. against felicia i can just jump back and beam like a mofo with cable provided i have the right assist...playing against shogun, and the fob that's not even a realistic option. magneto will be all over me if i even think about it, not to mention that would require me catching up to their storm. i get beatdown with juggs and hulk by shogun and he's not even as good as the fob. do i think its cheap and discouraging? not at all, its because i have a desire to play on tournament level that i take my beatings from the strider doom trap and i try to learn to beat it. just because one doesn't have the desire to be that good at the game, don't fault us that do.
JJ "The Badass"

Postby DJ on Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:19 am

I don't fault anyone for wanting to be good... but listen to yourself a little... you talk of the Strider/Doom trap, I don't like hearing things like that. I believe no matter how good the player, no matter what team they have, no matter what team you have they shouldn't have to resort to "tricks" and "traps" to win. Play the game as it was *meant* to be played and not the way the lazzies over at Capcom programed it.
DJ
Regular Poster

Postby Anime_duck on Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:34 am

i myself have never heard of the strider/doom trap. and i don't say that people shouldn't try to be good at the game, but when your reducing yourself to one mode of attack that ruins the fun for others that's a bit far.

i go to an acrade to play, have fun, and maybe learn a thing or two. ( i found the gambit glitch from one of the other guys who plays at the local tilt often... man that'll piss me off if that happened to me) but do i study the game? not really. yeah i look for new ways to play, new combos, but if i don't find em, i'm happy just playing.
Anime_duck
Regular Poster

Postby JJ "The Badass" on Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:14 am

the strider doom trap is in fact a trap <achieved by dropping doom's anti-air assist and teleporting to the other side of your opponent repeatedly> the fact of the matter is this is an insanely hard trap to pull off and keep any skilled player down with. hats off to you if you can successfully do it. it has counters, an anti air ken being one as well as felecias super sandboxscratch since it hits them both. the way the game was "meant" to be played is judged by the player not capcom. if you look at the history of the vs. series mvc2 is the most balanced of them (which is sad) unless you count xmen vs. streetfighter where everyone had an infinite. mvc2 is made to blitz the screen full of insane stuff and move at a million miles an hour to do a 182 hit combo on someone. hell there's so many 100% combos that aren't infinites its pretty insane. when an engine gives you ultimate precision and flexibility these things will happen. i can't imagine an mvc2 player using ryu and just hadoken'ing and shoruken'ing like in a normal game. mvc2 isn't normal its an over the top insane free for all, if you play it, you just gotta expect that kind of thing. on another note there is no tournament in america where the gambit glitch isn't banned. i can infinite you, guard break your next to chracters to infinites and kill your whole team without getting hit (if you're a fool) and its legal but you do that gambit and its an auto-disqualify because its game breaking. as for what you mentioned earlier about the iceman tactics...if you're not beaming a lot then you're puting yourself in pretty high danger because iceman takes damage like a punk and has pretty crappy normals.
JJ "The Badass"

Next

Return to Pocket Theater