Guide Hazing

Postby Hugh_Betcha on Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:03 pm

I wonder, briefly, whether there would be enough of an audience that would get, either through familiarity with the process or simply via clever exposition, a comic about the multiple deaths that Apprentice Guides have to endure at the hands of Seniors during their first few days on staff. Though I've never been a guide myself, I understand it's something of a sport to summon junior guides to, say, the open space at the top of the ramp in East Karana to Highpass, or to the bottom of OOT, or to the warmer molten-rocky spots of Sol B, to see how quick they are to activate their gate back home.

It's very nearly entertaining enough to be it's own game, I'm told. I could never have made it as a guide, as I would have wound up as that highly-publicized fella who teleported the entire population of Uruguay into Veeshan's Peak that one time.
Hugh_Betcha
Regular Poster

Postby Woody_Hearn on Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:36 pm

I've heard tales of this lovely practice as well. Durn crazy GMs.
Woody Hearn - cartoonist
gucomics.keenspace.com
GU Comics
Woody_Hearn
Regular Poster

Postby Takara on Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:06 pm

As an ex-guide I can tell you, it was done at one time, but was put in the rules as a no-no, fairly early on in the program. Often times it would get out of hand, and apprentices would be hazed to the extremes constantly by bored guides and GMs. A little play is fun, which is why they put A PVP arena in the Guide Home, but all around hazing is discouraged.

Though BEFORE the rule was put in place, I have many stories myself. *grins*
Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.
Takara
Regular Poster

Postby Talorynn on Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:39 am

Hazing still happens.

Not on all servers. And not while a senior or GM is on.

And when I was a guide.. well, we didnt NEED an invulnerable tag, as we had perfect faction.

But there were plenty of times when a guide would get themselves killed anyway. Especially with new guides. Thinking they would just melee a monster instead of using the kill command.
Talorynn

Postby Aloura on Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:11 am

invuln tags were added for pvp servers. I made a post further down about the situation that resulted in it.
Aloura

Return to GU Comics