On topic? Hah!

Postby Blak_joker on Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:02 pm

Hey everyone, just to let you know, don't be scared of posting on the forums if you don't have something about the comic to say. If you do have something about the comic to say, great! If not, feel free to say something about your lunch, or the lint between your toes, or whatever else catches your fancy. Above all else, we want to encourage an active, thriving community here, and to that we have to talk about something. So, how do you feel about the level of media in today's society? Is it saturating our lives? Is it too much? I'm a bit verklempt, talk amongst yourselves. (note, this topic stolen whole sale from the Terminal City forum (see mainpage for link))
=================================
The Underground!
Not your Average School Paper!

http://underground.keenspace.com

Jeff Russell
Blak_joker
Regular Poster

Postby Gutterflower on Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:22 pm

Well, the lint between my toes is thriving nicely. As for the media, if I can burrow under it, it doesn't bother me too much. It's always nice to know that there are some people in the world who don't succumb to meaningless drivel.

Speaking of which, did you hear that Britney Spears is releasing a new album?

JOKING! JOKING! I should be shot!
I am called Schmendrick.

Erin Phillips, random skid
Gutterflower

Postby Blak_joker on Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:29 pm

so it's been what, like 5 minutes? :grin: It's funny, I like old pop culture, and find it fascinating, and like certain aspects of modern pop culture, but I can't stand modern pop music. Well, american pop music. J-Pop (the Japanese equivalent) is pretty cool, sometimes. What's your stance on music? Should every artist strive to produce quality music, that comes with real feeling and technical expertise on that artist's own part, so that they can "keep it real" as it were? Or is anything that is entertaining and pleasing to (some) ears good? Personally, I side more with the first, as I think music is supposed to be an expression of emotion and passion, and that the artist/composer should pour that into their music. Why is it that the likes of Mozart and Beethoven, who were geniuses in the field of music are listened to less than someone with a pretty face that can sort of sing and dances well when someone shows them all of the moves? It seems kinda crooked to me, but I'm a nerd. Argue, refute, flame, post!
The Underground!

Jeff Russell
Blak_joker
Regular Poster

Postby Gutterflower on Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:53 pm

I agree. (Surprise, no?) One of the reasons I hate real pop culture is that it's become a matter of what sells as opposed to what one feels. I don't know why, but I can always, always tell when someone has brought something from the soul, because I feel it. I dunno. I'm nuts.
I am called Schmendrick.

Erin Phillips, random skid
Gutterflower

Postby Irondrew on Mon May 06, 2002 12:59 pm

I can
Irondrew

Postby Blak_joker on Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:13 pm

Past their time! Pah! and people do still listen to all of the people you mentioned :D I think most people just don't have the attention span to listen to musical pieces longer than 5 minutes that don't have lyrics. Now, I'm not always in the mood for classical/baroque/romantic/other symphonic music, but I certainly enjoy it. There's such depth to the music, so many layers of interlocking instruments. I dunno, I suppose it comes down to personal taste in the end. So, instead of yelling at you for not agreeing with me (which obviously means you're wrong ;P) I'll go on liking my music, and you can go on liking yours
The Underground!

Jeff Russell
Blak_joker
Regular Poster

Return to Underground, The