The Cat Returns

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

The Cat Returns

Postby MixedMyth on Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:41 am

Along with Nausicaa, a Studio Ghibli movie called "The Cat Returns" has just been released. I just got it, and it's wonderful. ^_^ Think Old Possum's Guide to Practical Cats meets Alice in Wonderland. As usual, Ghibli excells in portraying quirky little mannerisms that really make their characters stand out. It's very cute, funny, and original. To quote my roommate, "Who says no one can write fairy tales anymore?" Also, for those of you who don't mind dubs, one of the main characters is voiced by Cary Elwes, who played Wesley in The Princess Bride. It fits great.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby IVstudios on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:54 am

Yes, this is one of the movies I was bitching at Jex about in the "Nausicaa" thread. It is really awesome! As long as you're inner child isn't dead a buried you will love it. The other one is "Porco Rosso," it is also awesome. It has a sort of "Kiki's Delivery Service" feel to it overall, but a little more serious. I highly recommend them both.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby KODAMA on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:07 am

I've seen this other ghibli movie "mimi wo sumaseba" and I was theorizing that neko no ongaeshi is sort of a loose sequel to mimiwo sumaseba.

... the baron and the fat cat (which was named moon and a few other things in mimi wo sumaseba) are both in mimiwo sumaseba and neko no ongaeshi - makes me wonder if neko no ongaeshi isn't the story that suzuku wrote to show seiji's grandfather (which was supposed to be a story about the Baron)....
KODAMA
Spodama Mon

Postby IVstudios on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:38 am

They talked about that in some of the bonus material on the DVD. I think they mentioned something about the idea of it being the story Suzuku wrote as the inspiration for the movie.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Return to KeenIME