Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind!!!

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind!!!

Postby JexKerome on Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:23 am

The DVD comes out this February the 20th!

Have you pre-ordered yours?!
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:20 am

Never herd of it. What's it about?
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:12 pm

Ah, here, I ripped this from ANIDB (so I'm not responsible for typos):

Humanity, in its hubris, has precipitated an ecological disaster. Flourishing industrial civilizations swallowed up and Earth is covered by the Sea of Corruption, an enormous forest of fungi that releases a miasma of poisonous spores into the air.

Nausicaa, a gentle young princess, has an empathetic bond with the giant mutated insects that evolved in the wake of the destruction of the ecosystem. Traveling by cumbersome flying ship, on the backs of giant birds, and perched atop her beloved glider, Nausicaa and her allies must negotiate peace between kingdoms battling over the last of the world`s precious natural resources...

It's a really great manga, if you can find it; never seen the movie, but I can't wait... :D
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby JexKerome on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:06 pm

IV, you is going to Hell unless you google it.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Isukiyomi on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:02 pm

I've heard great things about it. Maybe I can find a way to watch it (as soon as I get Invader Zim that is)
Valar Morghulis - Art
Michiko Monogatari~Tehuti
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:59 am

JexKerome wrote:IV, you is going to Hell unless you google it.

Google is for would no doubtable turn up a wealth of information. So screw that. I want other people to do my work for me.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:21 am

ivstudios wrote:
JexKerome wrote:IV, you is going to Hell unless you google it.

Google is for would no doubtable turn up a wealth of information. So screw that. I want other people to do my work for me.

So young and yet so lazy... you make an old man proud! *sniff*

You know Hayao Miyazaki? Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away... he made them all, but Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind is his very first, both as a manga and a film, and is in fact so old that it had never been on video before.

The guy's an amazing one-man studio (even though he has a real studio full of people): he writes the story, designs the characters, even composes some of the music!! He's one of the most venerated manga/anime artists in existence at the moment, and other famous like Masamune Shirow swear by his work and cite him as an influence.

In fact, most of his other works are coming out as DVDs right now, and frankly I recommend them all. Look also for Porco Rosso and Laputa Castle in the Sky. And search the web for his upcoming movie, How's Moving Castle.

And if I remember correctly, he also did Castle of Cagliostro, a Lupin the Third movie, and it TOTALLY rocks!

And no, I do not represent in any way the interests of Mr. Yamazaki nor am I getting a cut from all proceeds, though I wish I did :P .
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:59 am

You had me at Hayao Miyazaki. I love his stuff. I have Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Princes Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and My Neighbor Totero. And now I have to see this Nausicaa.

DAMN YOU JEX! I AM NOT A MONEY TREE!!
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:11 am

If you were, I'd shake you.

Not to mention cut little bits off you to make a money tree plantation.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Isukiyomi on Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:26 am

There's going to be a showing of Nausicaa this Friday on my campus!
Valar Morghulis - Art
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:58 am

Durn lucky girl....
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wp on Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:26 pm

It's funny that it took them so long. My friend from Taiwan has a Studio Ghibli DVD set up to Princess Mononoke for two years now, and they have both Chinese and English subtitles. I watched almost all of them. Some were boring, some were weird, some were cool. But all of them were meaningful. Of course Nausicaa was one of them.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Isukiyomi on Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:15 am

JexKerome wrote:Durn lucky girl....

The universe owed me a good turn nyo :D
Valar Morghulis - Art
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:07 pm

Isukiyomi wrote:

How so? you're smart, cute, young, talented and have a webcomic. You lack nothing!
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Isukiyomi on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:33 pm

Isukiyomi wrote:

I didn't get to see it! :( But hung out with friends instead and had a rip roaring time :D I'll guess I'll save up for the dvd then.

JexKerome wrote:How so? you're smart, cute, young, talented and have a webcomic. You lack nothing!

Awwh Jex, you flatter me :oops: Now I'll have to learn to apply these "skills" to get a guy 8)
Valar Morghulis - Art
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:06 am

I'd help you look for one, but people tell me that's yet another thing I'm not good at.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Isukiyomi on Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:44 pm

JexKerome wrote:I'd help you look for one, but people tell me that's yet another thing I'm not good at.

Awwh come on Jex! Don't discredit yourself :D You're a great guy with a good head on your shoulders. I'm pretty sure that you would give great advice :D
Valar Morghulis - Art
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Now who's flattering who? I was gonna suggest IV, but then it turns out he looks like he looks, and on top of that he's no money tree...

See what I mean? Bad advice left and right...
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby MixedMyth on Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:31 am

Ooo! Finally! I havn't, but I should. I hear it's very, very good. I love Miazaki's work, too. They took their sweet time about releasing it over here, though.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Isukiyomi on Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:19 pm

JexKerome wrote:Now who's flattering who? I was gonna suggest IV, but then it turns out he looks like he looks, and on top of that he's no money tree...

See what I mean? Bad advice left and right...

:lol: Damn Jex you rock! :lol:
Valar Morghulis - Art
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to KeenIME