[Bryan's resignation]

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

[Bryan's resignation]

Postby Bryan Y B Wong 2 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:23 am

Okay, I hate to do this, but I have decided to resign from the post of the keenIME dropdown administrator.

First, I want to give my sincere apologies for those who have been inconvenienced by my AWOL status. I know I have been neglecting my duties for some time. I feel sad to end my relation with something that I began, but other projects have kept me from being able to keep up with the dropdown sign-ups and weekly spotlights, and they don't seem to be letting up anytime soon.

I think there were many good things that have happened over the years with the keenIME group. In particular, we were able to pull off three successful collaboration efforts, "Frickin' Cold Winter", "Keenime Spring Break", and "Keenime Hearts", each one led by different Keenspace artists and members. There was a lot of fervor and diligence that went into these undertakings and I sincerely thank each individual involved.

The dropdown itself, however, has outgrown its practicality. This is mainly because of the astounding number of new comics (and aborted comics) in keenspace, that to keep a coherent list of updating comics would be difficult and time-consuming. We have already seen the list grow to unwieldy proportions.

The weekly spotlights, however, I felt were really helpful in showcasing new artists. Unfortunately, it too also required much individual effort, and the queue grew so large, that many who would sign up would not be drawing their comics when their spotlight week finally arrived.

Now, of course there are ways to improve on this system. For example, better automation, a better organization and perhaps categorization of comics, a change in the signup policies, etc. I don't think that a lean, mean keenIME system is impossible to achieve, but it will require quite some up-front effort, and I personally don't have any free time left to undertake this.

Also, because of very bad choices I had made in the outset, the old dropdown is glued to my own comic account, and not somewhere public like "gear.keenspace.com". This poses inconveniences for myself as well as keenIME members. If a new dropdown is created, it should be created as a brand new start, and stored on a brand new, and public location. What remains in my account is a stub file that is empty, so therefore, anyone using that dropdown will see that the javascript doesn't write anything at all. If you wish to see the code for the original old dropdown, you can find it at
http://constancy.keenspace.com/keenime.original.js

During the time I was involved in keenIME, I saw many people stand up and take the reins, and really demonstrate good leadership. I am confident that there is someone out there who would be willing to renew and reorganize the keenIME dropdown into something much better than it was. I am happy to assist this person in any way, when he or she decides to step up and take care of it. Private message me or whatever if you need help or advice.

Sorry this sounds so cheesy. I'm happy to see that there is still activity in the forum here. Please keep it up, and thanks!

Sincerely,
Bryan Wong
Bryan Y B Wong 2

Postby Arumo on Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:59 am

Are you suggesting someone else take the reins and form a committee of some sort?
Arumo
Regular Poster

Postby Bryan Y B Wong 2 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:30 am

You are correct. I am encouraging anyone who is interested in helping keenIME out in anyway step forth, but I'm not requiring or trying to intimidate anyone to do so. This is not a life or death situation, so no one should feel obligated to take charge.

As far as how you want to "lead it", that would be totally up to you. The ball's in your side of the court. If you wish to form a committee of sorts, I think that would be a good idea.

Thanks
Bryan
Bryan Y B Wong 2

Postby Arumo on Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:00 am

I don't want to take control, nor do I feel qualified. If anybody wants to take control of the dropdown though I'll be more than happy to volunteer some of my services whenever possible.
Arumo
Regular Poster

Willingness to proceed

Postby Risky on Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:11 pm

I'm willing to help get keenime back on her feet. If we put the dropdown in a new location, would you be willing to update the code on your (wong)site to either (a) point at the new dropdown or (b) print a message to the effect of "hey, webmaster, change your dropdown code!" ?

Also, is there a keenime keenspace account? That would seem to be the ideal place for such a debacle. Unless someone has some php or mysql space to donate?
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Bryan Y B Wong 2 on Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:15 pm

Sure, I'll be happy to somehow direct the keenime over from my site to yours, using either of the two options you had. Just let me know where it is or when it is up. You should put the new dropdown either on gear.keenspace.com, or if you can get keenime.keenspace.com, that would be good too. We don't have the latter yet, I don't think, so you can just sign up for one (like a regular comic), or bug the admins to make one for you immediately, if you need it fast.

I highly suggest using an alternate way to list comics in the dropdown, and if you want to start brand new, that's fine too. It's just that, the way it was previously done, the list got too large and it was impractical to wade through it. One idea is just to list the latest few added comics, and then link to a site (like keenime.keenspace.com, or some nifty php hosting) with a directory, that people can search over all the added comics, based on genre, etc. It's just an idea, so you can do whatever you feel fit with the dropdown. :wink:

Thanks
Bryan
Bryan Y B Wong 2

Postby Risky on Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:55 pm

Bryan Y B Wong 2 wrote:I highly suggest using an alternate way to list comics in the dropdown, and if you want to start brand new, that's fine too. It's just that, the way it was previously done, the list got too large and it was impractical to wade through it. One idea is just to list the latest few added comics, and then link to a site (like keenime.keenspace.com, or some nifty php hosting) with a directory, that people can search over all the added comics, based on genre, etc. It's just an idea, so you can do whatever you feel fit with the dropdown. :wink:

For KeenElven I use a script that shows 12 random comics from the list, and the banner is randomly selected each time (hence no "spotlight queue", it's more like the newshack that way). I would probably use someone similar.

Wow, it's sad how many of these comics are dead now...
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby The Elven on Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:48 pm

Arumo wrote:I don't want to take control, nor do I feel qualified. If anybody wants to take control of the dropdown though I'll be more than happy to volunteer some of my services whenever possible.

It'd be awesome if you and your friends could go through the dropdown and find all the dead links. Like two points of view... dang, I wish that was still around.

AKA Risky
Risky if Risky was an oldbie
~Scott Lawrence~
http://www.theelven.com
"True love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have seen." Francis, Duc de La Rochefoucauld. 1613-1680
The Elven
Regular Poster

Postby Arumo on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:48 am

Sure thing. Gimme until after class and I'll go through the list and post it here. :)
Arumo
Regular Poster

Postby Risky on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:39 pm

Arumo wrote:Sure thing. Gimme until after class and I'll go through the list and post it here. :)

Sure, you bet.

I've signed up for keenime.keenspace.com, have confirmed my email, and am waiting for the password.

Currently I'm thinking it would be "neat" to host various keenime crossover and event images at keenime.keenspace.com, including links to the various event pages.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Risky on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:36 pm

Keenime.keenspace.com is up, I'll be setting it up. Currently the dropdown is at http://keenime.keenspace.com/keenime.js

Bryan, if you are watching, it would be great if you could make the old dropdown point at the new location. Let me know if you want advice on how to do so.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Bryan Y B Wong 2 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:21 pm

Okay, I set it so that it would point over to your new dropdown; I'm not sure if I did it the best way, but I think it works. I simply had my javascript write out the include for your javascript. Let me know if there's a better way.

You should be good to go! :wink:
Bryan Y B Wong 2

Postby Risky on Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:17 pm

Bryan Y B Wong 2 wrote:Okay, I set it so that it would point over to your new dropdown; I'm not sure if I did it the best way, but I think it works. I simply had my javascript write out the include for your javascript. Let me know if there's a better way.

You should be good to go! :wink:

Oh oh! That explains it. I noticed the dropdown working somewhere, and I was thinking it was odd that it worked all of a sudden. Well things work if they are fixed!

Thanks Bryan, that is great. KeenIME lives again, and I'll do my best to keep it that way. I'll be updating it throughout the week, and hopefully it will be relevant again before anyone knows it.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Bryan Y B Wong 2 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Awesome! Thanks for doing this Risky. And I'll try to be around when I can and participate in events that you may hold in the future. I'm interested in seeing where you and the rest of the keenime-spacers will take it. Also don't hesitate to pass me any questions at any time.

Bryan

p.s. I noticed on the site that you said that Keenime and its indicia are reserved by *me*. Well, since the operation is in your hands, so are the names, logos, etc. So don't worry about asking me for permission first to use anything, if you were thinking you had to. :wink:
Bryan Y B Wong 2

Postby Risky on Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Bryan Y B Wong 2 wrote:Awesome! Thanks for doing this Risky. And I'll try to be around when I can and participate in events that you may hold in the future. I'm interested in seeing where you and the rest of the keenime-spacers will take it. Also don't hesitate to pass me any questions at any time.

Bryan

p.s. I noticed on the site that you said that Keenime and its indicia are reserved by *me*. Well, since the operation is in your hands, so are the names, logos, etc. So don't worry about asking me for permission first to use anything, if you were thinking you had to. :wink:

Just giving you the respect, yo. A 300 plus comic dropdown is a huge accomplishment.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Return to KeenIME