Naruto

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

Naruto

Postby Wp on Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:19 am

Anyone watch? I'm not that big a fan of the premise, but the setting is somewhat unique and some of the action scenes are simply amazing for something on a TV series budget (although an abnormally large one).

If anyone reads the manga, please get me up to date on it. I'm only up to the TV series in terms of story, but I already know what is currently happening in the manga. I want to fill in all those scenes in between without actually having to read those 200 chapters or so.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby TheLoserHero on Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:55 pm

TLH Rule #45:

If you have access to the manga and the TV show and the manga came first, chances are, the manga will be better.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease read the manga. It's the author's pure, unchanged vision. :cry:
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Postby Wp on Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:15 pm

You read the manga? From what I've heard, the anime is pretty faithful to it except for those damn fillers (I HATE fillers). And plus, you should take a look at the anime as well. You get to see the action scenes in full, continuous glory.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:01 pm

All we know of Naruto is "Harmonia." Image
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby Wp on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:33 pm

I thought it was a nice song. In general, though, I'm not a big fan of Naruto opening and ending theme songs.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:39 pm

As a matter of policy I stay away from the anime if I got the manga first, since it's GUARANTEED to disappoint. And every time I've caught some series as anime first, I find the manga to be tons better. The Ranma 1/2 TV series came by after I've read the manga for a couple of years and made me hurl; Card Captor Sakura, on the other hand, first I saw the anime, got the manga and loved it so much I'm now commited to collect every single piece of work from Clamp.

So having seen Naruto, Shaman King One Piece first in Shonen Jump, I'm not giving the anime a chance ever.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:58 am

I saw the Trigun Anime before I read the Manga. And it was a good thing too because I would have had no idea what was going on otherwise. I also saw Hellsing (sp?) and read the manga and both were awesome.

I think the reason the Manga is usually better, just like most books are better than the movie, is because the book is as good as your imagination can let it be. A move on the other hand, is all based on someone else
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:39 am

... That was very well put. :)
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby Keffria on Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:35 pm

ivstudios wrote:I saw the Trigun Anime before I read the Manga. And it was a good thing too because I would have had no idea what was going on otherwise.

No kidding! I liked Vash better in the manga, but at the same time, the action sequences were so bloody confusing... Actually, I don't see why everyone loves that series so much; the first ten episodes or so were good, but by the end, I was glad it was over.

Anyway, Naruto... Waaay too long. I saw the first few episodes, and while it's okay, I just can't bear to invest all that time in it.
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby Wp on Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:28 pm

I agree about the Trigun anime. It was pretty nice at first, then it turned into a melodramatic sob story.

I mainly watch Naruto for the fights. They are pretty cliched as they go, but they get more interesting and it's typically not more of the same stuff. Think DBZ without the weeks' worth of dialogue between special moves. There's actually character interaction and plot. The nice thing about Naruto is that you can skip about 10 episodes, get back into it, and still know what's going on.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:34 am

Oooh, like a soap opera? :wink:
Keffria

Postby Wp on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:56 am

Heh, maybe Trigun...

But Naruto really is about fun. Nothing deep, but lots of character interactions. It's got *tons* of characters. They all have different personalities and motivations. Sometimes it does get sappy, but typically they execute it very well.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:28 am

*derails thread, since no one seems to be adding anything else*

As I was yammering on about a few posts ago, there are times (many times) when there's no reason for a series to go to the full 26 episodes, much less 52 or whatever. (Not necessarily talking about Naruto, just talking...)

I mean, take Excel Saga. I absolutely *loved* the first ten or twelve episodes, but by the end, it was just old. (And then it got disturbing, and *then* they made that OVA in the same vein...)

And half the time, episodes 2 through 25 are "monster-of-the-week" type episodes, with little or no plot or character development. *cough*Witch Hunter Robin*cough*
Keffria

Postby JexKerome on Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:41 pm

Keffria wrote:And half the time, episodes 2 through 25 are "monster-of-the-week" type episodes, with little or no plot or character development. *cough*Witch Hunter Robin*cough*

Really? Dang, that series had gotten my interest.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wp on Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:42 am

The ending of WHR is especially inconclusive and, well, just plain bad.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:32 pm

JexKerome wrote:
Keffria wrote:And half the time, episodes 2 through 25 are "monster-of-the-week" type episodes, with little or no plot or character development. *cough*Witch Hunter Robin*cough*

Really? Dang, that series had gotten my interest.

Ehh, don't take my word for it -- I've only seen about half the series... But it's rapidly losing my interest.
Keffria

Postby Phact0rri on Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:25 pm

<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby K-Dawg on Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:13 am

Naruto started off great then slowly started to fizzle. This last arc in the manga was very boring if not for seeing Shikamaru and some of the other genins.

If you want a pretty good manga/anime read/watch One Piece. It's not super cliche, and it's about pirates. :D

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby TheLoserHero on Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:01 pm

I am so on that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Return to KeenIME