One Piece to rule them all.

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

One Piece to rule them all.

Postby BryanOlsson on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:42 am

This is just a heads up to any Anime fans out there. Go watch One Piece, it's better than whatever you think is the best Anime out there. Actually it's probably not, unless, of course, it is. You can read the manga in Shonen Jump, and it is really good as well. But, the voices are just so good. Go watch it. Go. Go!
BryanOlsson
Regular Poster

Postby JexKerome on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:33 am

For the most part, anime versions of manga tend to disappoint me. It happened with Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Yuyu Hakusho, and Shaman King. Of course that was because I got my hands into the manga first. So sorry, but no One Piece anime for me.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby BryanOlsson on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:18 am

I actually read the manga first. Anime so good. Watch it. Doooo it.
BryanOlsson
Regular Poster

Postby Godoftarot on Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:15 am

I have to say that it's a tough one usually between anime and manga. Unless they follow closely. I think if there is one anime I like better than the manga it would be Revolutionary Girl Utena.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."
Godoftarot
Regular Poster

Postby Wp on Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:21 pm

I just started reading One Piece, and I must say that it is hilarious. Very interesting twist on the "kid who wants to be best in the world" plotline. The location and the characters are all outrageous and lovable.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:30 pm

I saw a commercial for it (it was one of those evil before-a-move commercials, but whatever). It looks pretty cool but I don't think I'm going to spend any money on it before I have an idea of whether or not I like it. Plus I already spend all my spare money for the next few weeks on the Invader Zim DVD's
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby MixedMyth on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:37 pm

So far Trigun and Read or Die are my favorites. But I've been meaning to check One Piece out. Unfortunatly, I can't find anywhere around here that has it.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby Wp on Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:37 pm

Er... this is kinda, sorta, not completely compliant in the ways of courts and stuff... but go to http://www.directmanga.com, and preview One Piece. If you like it, make sure to buy it from crappy ass Viz translations (ARGH).
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:34 pm

What I really hate about Viz is that they translate all the sound effects (as in characters are replaced with English sound effects). It doesn't look so bad in Bleach (which I am reading right now, and it is pretty good), but I seem to recall it being rather badly done in Banana Fish. What, specifically, do *you* detest, wp? :)

Incidentally, I much prefer the way Del Rey does it, with the unobtrusive translations next to the sound or in the margins. I read the first three volumes of Tsubasa a while ago, which were done by Del Rey, and I liked seeing the page closer to the way it was meant to be. (Never mind that the series as a whole reminds me of some kind of lame Clamp crossover-fancomic...)

Come to think of it, Tokyopop doesn't even bother translating SFX with some series (Planetes), or else they give you a "handy translation guide" at the back, which is pages long and goes by page/panel number, except that only ten pages in the whole book are numbered (Saiyuki). Not to mention that some of their translations are full of typos (The Demon Ororon). Anyway, this should be a whole 'nother topic, eh?

Oh, yeah, uh, One Piece... Can't download anything from the site above. Also can't find the manga around here, though the library's been ordering a lot of Shonen Jump manga, so maybe I'll be able to see it for myself soon. I'd watch the series, but I just can't bear the thought of investing so much time... Are there any shows based on Shonen Jump manga that *don't* stretch out into 100+ episodes?
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby Wp on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:25 pm

You can't get anything there? What does it say? If you want to get something, you have to try repeatedly because there is a server limit. It's not too bad really. You can usually get something within 5 tries.

The link above is broken because the stupid comma was included in the link.

Try this: http://www.directmanga.com

The translated sound effects are horrid because sometimes the words are so big that they have to cut out portions of original image. Then you have big gaps. Also, commercial translating is incredibly stale. Their localizations (joke translations and such) are really forced. Instead of trying to force an American equivalent, they should just footnote the meaning of the joke if it is too hard to translate.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:36 am

Heh. Translation is so hit-and-miss. I remember reading some murder mystery one that didn't contain any contractions. :lol:

At Directmanga.com, every time I try to download something, I get the message "download temporarily unavailable", as their public server is experiencing problems or something to that effect.
Keffria

Postby Wp on Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Try it now.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:15 pm

Aha! Wonderful!

*goes on a downloading spree*

*presumably, will burn in Hell*
Keffria

Postby Wp on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:38 pm

Keep going until you realize how hilarious One Piece is. And don't you dare get sidetracked with the hundred other series on there!
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Chibiartstudios on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:35 pm

At least you aren't going to one of those horible fansub sites to get it :D

Fansubs are illegal so dont use that!

It really pissed me off when 4 kids got the rights to it. They got Yu Gi Oh... Nuff said.

But honestly. I was blown away by the sheer storytelling ability of the author. This is some of the best storytelling I have EVER SEEN. And I have seen alot. Not only are every one of his characters unique, memorable, and interesting but he does an absolutely fantastic job of wraping things up at the end of arcs. Something often rare in manga. At the end of the first Usop arc he could have ended the series right there it was so clean (minus the pirate king part). And after you guys get past the Arubastia arc (which is around the second 60 eppisodes or such) he spends 5 eppisodes making sure every last loose end is tied up. And the final battle of that arc is OH SO SWEET!

And it's darn true to the manga too! Some stuff is moved. But next to nothing is cut. Kind of like Naruto.

Seriously. This is one of the best manga EVER. I am not exagerating that either.

Watch it! WATCH IT NOW!
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster

Postby JexKerome on Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:53 am

*watches One Piece anime*

*Adds it to the "It sucks!" list*
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wp on Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:50 pm

I guess it's not your style. Try not to take it seriously.

Reading the manga first is always better than watching the anime first. Maybe you will have a different perspective. It is slow at first, so reading it as manga will get you through the beginning faster.
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:56 pm

I tend to either watch the anime or read the manga; I don't like the idea of investing in the same story twice. (For example, after losing my fansubs not once, not twice, but thrice, I'm going to just read the FMA manga... Maybe even buy it, if it's not true that Viz picked it up. Bastards.) Yes, I know there are usually extras in the manga, but it's the same core plot.

As I said before, regarding One Piece: gwah, too many episodes! I'll stick to the manga, thank you. ^^

...If I can finish downloading it. Accursed server at directmanga.
Keffria

Postby JexKerome on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:42 pm

wp wrote:I guess it's not your style. Try not to take it seriously.

Reading the manga first is always better than watching the anime first. Maybe you will have a different perspective. It is slow at first, so reading it as manga will get you through the beginning faster.

Man, you really don't pay attention. My first post in this thread clearly states I've read the manga, and that whenever that happens I hate the anime, which was the reason I resufed to see it. And, sure enough, I see the anime now, and it sucks eggs.

In case you didn't understand:

Manga rocks, Anime sucks
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wp on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:35 pm

Heh, I'm starting to understand this whole thing about resentment showing through. But I don't care; you're still cool. Unfortunately, I can sometimes be argumentative.

For the most part, anime versions of manga tend to disappoint me. It happened with Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Yuyu Hakusho, and Shaman King. Of course that was because I got my hands into the manga first. So sorry, but no One Piece anime for me.

I, of course, assume you're talking about the bolded phrase above. That particular phrase doesn't reveal to me so much that you've read the One Piece manga; instead, it implies that you've read the mangas of Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Yuyu Hakusho, and Shaman King. It could *possibly* mean that you've read the One Piece manga, but the positioning of the sentence does not state this definitively. So apparently you weren't being very clear at all.

On the other hand, I agree with you: manga rocks. Anime can only be good if you see it only and never see the manga. I've ruined many an anime by reading the manga afterwards.

Keffria: I've found out some crappy stuff Viz has done with Naruto.

Kage Bunshin no Jutsu becomes Art of the Doppleganger. Why can't they just say "Technique: Shadow Clone" like it's supposed to be? Byakugan (literally "white eyes") becomes "evil eye" even though "eye of sight" is a more accurate representation of what it actually does. Gaton: Goukyaku
no Jutsu (I think it means Technique: Great Fireball or Dragon Breath, I forget) becomes "blaze of glory."

Geez, who decides on these horrible localizations? Do they think it sounds cooler?
Wp
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to KeenIME