What the dilly, yo?

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

What the dilly, yo?

Postby TheLoserHero on Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:06 am

Huh. Where is everybody?
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Postby McBean on Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:27 pm

Anime is dead.
McBean
Regular Poster

Postby Mr.Bob on Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:38 pm

yay!
Mr.Bob
:(

Postby Rmcfarland3 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:29 pm

riiiiiiiiight....
Rmcfarland3

Postby TheLoserHero on Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:33 am

"Yay!"? Anime being dead is a good thing?
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Postby Mr.Bob on Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:25 am

TheLoserHero wrote:"Yay!"? Anime being dead is a good thing?

Sorry about that offhand rude comment.
Mr.Bob

No.

Postby VileTerror on Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:38 pm

It's a VERY good thing.

Thanks for leading me here, Bob. I never would have even entered this forum if I hadn't seen you post here.
Odd that "Skype" isn't one of the options in the profile. Granted, MSN is now defunct and Skype its replacement . . .
VileTerror
Anti-Villain

Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.

Postby TheLoserHero on Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:02 am

Okay, I think you guys may be confused. I didn't mean for this to be all negative. I just wanted to know where everyone was on the KeenIME forums, as it's not all that frequented. I don't know why all of a sudden someone zips out of the blue and puts down a style of art.

VileTerror, I assume you're just not a fan of any Japanese pop-culture inspired... anything, I guess; and hey, you're entitled to that. I would just like to know what specifically you're not liking about it.
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Their eyes!

Postby ZOMBIE USER 17345 on Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:06 am

Those soulless eyes that seem to draw in youthful minds and drain them of any potential for something greater!

But that's just the first reason that springs to mind. I could beat out a whole list . . . yet somehow, I think it's more likely for me to get banned for that, then for what I'm doing right now.
ZOMBIE USER 17345
Cartoon Hero

Eyes indeed! Among other things.

Postby TheLoserHero on Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:44 pm

Ah, I see. Well, first of all, if it's just a friendly debate, I doubt you would get banned from this forum. Heck, I think you and I are the only ones in here.

From what I gather, you're saying that the Japanese style of comic-book drawing (manga... but e'ry one knows that) has grabbed "youthful minds" from the stalk, not unlike a young sapling being torn from its birthplace. Continuing with the sapling analogy, you fear that this young sapling would be grown in a pot, all cramped and stuff, unable to grow to its true self. Horrors indeed! If that were the case.

I agree that if you adopt a popular style and define your art around it, your art will just be... part of a popular style. Art should be ever-evolving; from the cave paintings in Lascal to the wall paintings depicting ancient pharoahs to the life-like yet unexpressive Greek sculpture and eventually to our own art. It would be pretty suck-ass if we still drew like Egyptians. Boring fight scenes, yeah?

But the "youthful minds" are only taking this popular culture of Japanese art and taking it as their own to use as a springboard to create their own style. They just need a boost. I ,myself, am guilty of this; my style is heavily influenced by the Japanese style. I could have chosen to do my comic with a Mike Turner influence (Witchblade or Fathom... damn that guy can draw a chick) but I felt my story would be better told through a style that was a bit juvenile but slowly gravitating towards adulthood. I felt a manga-inspired style best suited it. Hell, I may very well be wicked wrong, but this is what I feel is best at the time.

Dude, I love drawing. I do. I would jump into a tank filled with man-eating cicadas if I found that I would be unable to improve. I'm sure any artist would. Artists are always trying, testing, failing, crying, pulling out hair, just to get that... that thing! Yes, being Japanese-inspired means that artists like me are influenced by a certain culture, but heck, we're social creatures, and that's what's going to happen. From this may stem that "something greater" you speak of. Or not! Who knows?!

I honestly don't think the Japanese style doesn't drain youthful minds. It's something for them to try out and practice with whilst they build their skill.

F**k. I wrote too much.
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Postby LennyZ on Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:54 pm

Personally (and being Asian helped a lot), anime and manga were the first types of art I was exposed to. Geez, the hours I spent reading mangas in the bookstore...

I'm definitely not ashamed of my manga roots (dude, don't get me started). It just happened to be what caught my eye and was so different from what was on TV. Maybe it is sucking the juice out of supple young minds. Or maybe I'm just being sarcastic. Make an educated guess.

My style definitely isn't manga anymore. It's branched from that, and I'm not saying it's better or anything, it's just more..."me".

Don't diss the anime. It's only bad as a whole when amateurs and fangirls and teenyboppers and omgilovesailormoon take it to the extremes.

Some people have really made it an art...um...I like CLAMP. Sometimes.
LennyZ
Regular Poster

Postby MomoChan on Mon May 10, 2004 10:06 pm

O.o

Not to get off topic (cause it isn't) but has anyone considered that this post was started with a generic insult to get everyone riled? Just a thought..

to the Loser Hero ... YOur so right about the bugs and Turner.
*takes bow and exits stage right* All hail the Momo!
MomoChan

Return to KeenIME