Keenime Spring Break? or KeenHearts?

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

Keenime Spring Break? or KeenHearts?

Postby Electronblues on Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:39 am

Hmmm.... I'm really thinking about putting together one of my two ideas for a Keenime event. It's always fun to do either a Valentine or anti-Valentine piece, but I'm also really drawn to the idea of a spring themed one. I keep seeing pictures of Mecha frolicking in fields of spring flowers. Plus, sad girls in the rain fits rather nicely as well. :wink: I think they both could be really fun themes to do. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on which you are more interested in? Title suggestions are also welcome. If I can find a good place to host it, like a keen site just for it, I might make it an annual event.
"My mother told me a REAL woman can force her logic onto any man!" Wakaba from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

http://electronblues.keenspace.com/
Electronblues
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:46 am

I think that the idea of Keenime Spring Break is better than one for Valentine's day. A little too much lovey-dovey stuff isn't that great.
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:47 am

I think that the idea of Keenime Spring Break is better than one for Valentine's day. A little too much lovey-dovey stuff isn't that great.
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Postby Spambot on Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:01 pm

I like the spring idea better because valentines day is the devil :evil:
Mwahahahha...
er... yeah.
Taking over the world, one person at a time.
Spambot

Postby Karlie on Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:15 am

i'll third that, vaentines day is evil. spring is the way to go
The Alias Project
http://drunkduck.com/AliasProject

"why when people tell up there are billions of stars in the sky, we believe them. but when we are told a wall has wet paint, we have to touch it to be sure?"
http://fangirltheater.keenspace.com - we said it was comming. here it is.
Karlie
Regular Poster

Postby Electronblues on Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:42 am

I know what you mean. That's part of why I listed anti-Valentines pieces under the Valentines idea. I seem to never have a good traditional Valentines for one reason or a another, so I celebrate an Anti-Valentines day. (Oh, the wonderful traditions that start in college!) I just never thought there were quite so many of us out there. :o

So far it's looking unanimous for spring then.
"My mother told me a REAL woman can force her logic onto any man!" Wakaba from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Electronblues
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:41 am

Well actually, I don't exactly think that Valentine's Day is evil, it's just that it may be hard to draw something for that and yeah maybe its a little bit evil. But a spring theme is a lot more easier to draw. Some food for thought.
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Postby Narddude on Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:46 am

I really like the Spring idea ... I'm not as keen on the Valentines idea, but it's still do-able ....

So in conclusion, NardDude says "Yeh!" for Spring Keenime event and "Not as big of a yeh!" for Valentines.

Um ... yeh!
- NardDude: The God of <a href="http://nardmanga.keenspace.com" target="top">NardManga</a>
Narddude
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:47 pm

Although I am a little more keen on the Spring Break idea than the Valentines (mainly because Spring Break can go a lot of places), the idea of an "Anti-Valentines" event just doesn't sound right. It just sounds so negative. Not everybody thinks Valentine's Day is evil, and people's perspectives about it can change over time. And since there is a common notion that anime otaku are "not-so-sociable" people, having an "Anti-Valentines" event may just serve to reinforce that reputation.

By sort of the same token, people who feel bitter about Valentines will prolly not participate in a plain "Valentines" event, or otherwise would be participating grudgingly. At least most people feel pretty happy when they think about Spring Break.

Also, Spring Break will give you a lot more time to prepare, as Valentines day is coming up in 1 and a half months.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, though the idea of a new event would be great, and I'm glad Electron Blues is taking charge of this. However, I would like to provide a few suggestions to make a new event effective; take 'em or leave 'em:

Most importantly, you may not want to have the new event similar to FCW2002-3; even though the season is different, the approach to it may run the risk of being too similar, so you may want to add some kind of twist to the event, or do something quite different. I think I've mentioned these ideas somewhere else, but for example, you can have a fan-art swap, a beauty contest, or even a comic jam. Maybe even have artists participate in groups.

Heck, you can even have totally off the wall events like a trivia show or a murder mystery/scavenger hunt, or even *gasp* Keenime Survivor or Iron Chef keenime-style. Heck, for Valentine's Day, you can even set up a fake dating service for webcomic characters. I'm just throwing out some wacky ideas that may or may not sound interesting to you.

Keenime FCW is something that was done already by other people in Keenspace/Spot; instead of us trying to be novel, the event was just sort of an easy starter to get people to participate. The point is, feel free to think of events that have never been done before in the history of keenspot/keenspace. Feel free to be creative and crazy.

Also, whenever any of you are ready to go ahead with an event, make sure to tell me so I can prepare to help you promote the event on our dropdowns and forums, etc.

Cheers
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby Electronblues on Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:26 pm

:) I understand what you mean Bryan. Actually, my Valentines idea was to allow both, with an accent on comedy either way. That way no one was excluded and it wouldn't be dark. At this point, the scales have already tipped in favor of spring, so it doesn't really matter though. I'll try to think of a twist; but after getting 2 feet of snow on Christmas, anything spring just sounds awesome to me. Keenime characters on spring break, flowers, rain, hayfever, spring romances, spring dances, spring cleaning.....oh..... I'll be better once the memory of shoveling all that snow fades a little. Maybe I can channel that into an extra Winter piece though. ;)

Lol.... hmmm as an annual event, it'll be easier to add twists each year... I'm most interested in an art based event for now, but maybe later on a non-art twist could be fun. LOL... I love the Iron Chef idea too, but I think the program may be an acquired taste.

Electronblues
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11832 on Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:09 pm

Hm. All the ideas posed are good. Personally I can see a huge potential for humor stemming from the comic character dating service idea. I can see it now... no... wait... that's the fumes kicking in.

I also must cast a spring-based vote. Valentine's day is indeed evil. I have my reasons for this feeling, but that's a story for another time.

When will this take place? Any ideas on a date yet?
ZOMBIE USER 11832
Regular Poster

Postby Electronblues on Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:42 pm

I was figuring on somewhere around the end of March/beginning of April. And I would keep it open to submissions for the whole season. *shrug* I'm pretty laid back about that stuff really. Sorry, to hear about Slixxor, but I'm looking forward to the new Slixxor that's in the works.

Electronblues
Regular Poster

Postby Shane B on Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:05 pm

At first I liked the idea of a spring-break deal, but that whole "Dating-sevice" thing seems like a lot more fun. We just need everybody to submit what character they want to be sent to who, or whatever, and led the zaniness begin.
Two hotdogs are cooking on a barbecue one day, and the first hotdog turns to the other and says, "Boy, it sure is hot in here," and the other hotdog responds, "Whoah! A talking hotdog!"

My comic is temporarily available at drunkduck.com/Elijah_and_Azuu
Shane B
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:08 pm

Here's an idea for your event electronblues. If you or anyone else doesn't like it, well that's okay because I only thought of it at 11:30pm yesterday.

You could still have a spring oriented theme. But make it an art contest. Artists would have to submit pictures by a certian date. But only one entry for now. You display them and have people email you one vote for the picture they like for this first stage. Then take the top amount you want like by half or whatever and email the people who won the first stage to draw something else for the second stage by so and so date. Then do the page and voting thing again. Then add as many stages as you need and so on until you have a winner and places behind. When all this is done, you can leave the pages for everyone to see and label them by the stages. But as said above, you would need to put a due date on the stuff, so I don't know if you would really like to go with this. Or due to the fact of the competiton.
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11832 on Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:44 pm

So, you're basically suggesting an elimination contest? Sounds pretty good, but it seems you'd have more fun with the dating service, and a better way to cast votes is to make one of those poll-casting buttons with each title of the picture on it.
And have the entire thing scheduled as a three-part event, unless one picture gets an overwhelming majority of the votes.
This simplifies how things would be done, allowing a simple, user-friendly polling service, and helps the people (or person) judging the competition, giving them a quick result page, rather than tallying a thousand emails. :P
But it's a good idea! Maybe it could be used for this or another event coming up later. :)
ZOMBIE USER 11832
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:19 pm

I guess a dating thing sounds better but who would date one of my characters seeing as they're mostly 14 and can blast demons to bits if they want to. Or slice them up. Maybe you should do two events. the valentines day dating service and a spring one with whatever twist you want. Cause then i would probably put something in for the spring one.
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:19 pm

I guess a dating thing sounds better but who would date one of my characters seeing as they're mostly 14 and can blast demons to bits if they want to. Or slice them up. Maybe you should do two events. the valentines day dating service and a spring one with whatever twist you want. Cause then i would probably put something in for the spring one.
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:21 pm

sorry about the double post thing. but look now im a Lt. Commander!
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11832 on Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:25 pm

Well... Although the comic is not up yet, I'd probably use characters from the new Slixxor for this. The thing is the characters are all digital, as in binary data in a gamestream. How's THAT for screwing up a date? What better to wear on a blind date than a monitor?
BUT, with the magic of comic artistry and storytelling, ANYTHING is possible, say, through a quantum fluke your character's age is jumped to 16 or 18 or 25 or whatever. Anything can be done.

But the Spring-based event in addition to the Dating Service would allow for more flexibility in the event. (and for a name, "Spring Fling," although corny, might fit).

The question is, Electronblues, would you do two events rather than just simply one?
ZOMBIE USER 11832
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 12729 on Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:58 am

What Uber_angel said is a good idea. Do two events. All this talk about the events makes me want to do my own soon when i learn the ropes about Keenspace. I call the Fall season for mine! No one can take it! Well maybe you can if you think of a better idea. one is already formulating in my head.
ZOMBIE USER 12729
Regular Poster

Next

Return to KeenIME