KEENIME'S FIRST ANNUAL FRICKIN' (FRIKEEN?) COLD WINTER 2003

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!

KEENIME'S FIRST ANNUAL FRICKIN' (FRIKEEN?) COLD WINTER 2003

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:08 pm

<b>
ATTENTION: This is the all new rules, edited on the 6th of November, 2002. There are some important differences (only to make the submission process more lenient) so if you've read it before, read it again.
</b>

Alright guys, now before I come to my senses and realize how much more work I'm putting on myself, it looks like I'm going to further complicate my life for the sake of KeenIME, your friendly neighborhood anime/manga influenced dropdown thingy.

introducing the...
<b>KEENIME FRICKIN' (FRIKEEN?) COLD WINTER 2003!!!</b>

Okay, so what does it entail? Well, we folks here at KeenIME have been entertaining the idea of having a "swimsuit" issue for KeenIME comic members, reminiscent of such successful projects as BiKEENi summer and 2001:Lace Odyssey. I decided that KeenIME needed some sort of similar event, and so here we have it.

The catch is... It's <i>WINTERTIME</i> What the heck? Well, you see, given the convenience of the Buffer Week, KEENIME FCW 2003 will be showcased right on New Years of 2002->2003.

Moreover, a couple of weeks after our campaign has begun, I have joined a more general (all genres) event called <b> WINTERSPACE2002 (aka FRIKEEN COLD WINTER)</b>, headed out by the great <b>JasterW</b>. (And yes, we'll get these names sorted out.) If you heard of this, let me just say that we <i>are</i> officially part of that, and <b>any submissions here will automatically go to WINTERSPACE.</b> To read more about that general event, go to the<a href="http://forums.keenspace.com/viewtopic.php?t=43770"><b>WINTERSPACE 2002 FORUM</b></a>.

---------------------------------------------------
<i><b>"Okkayyy... so what do I do?"</b></i>

Easy. First, <str>make sure you are a Keenime member. Got it?</str> <b> Ah, screw it, forget that rule, we'll take anyone who wants to draw anime, nuff said. </b> Next, make a nice graphic that follows the season (ahem, winter), preferably showcasing one or more of your own characters, and attach it onto an email to <a href="mailto:bryan@bryanwongroman.com">bryan@bryanwongroman.com</a> (with the header "ATTN:FCW2003!!"). Originally I made a deadline of Dec 10th, 2002 - however, I've scrapped it to fit JasterW's philosophy, so now there is <b>no real deadline</b> on this. However, the official KeenIME event will be at New Years 2002->2003, so if you want the good publicity, I suggest you get it in by Dec 10th as a safe measure.

Be sure to include:
1. The image(s) (but of course)
2. A short one sentence description for each image
3. Your name (or how you'd like to be identified)
4. Your comic's name
5. Your comic's URL
6. Your contact email, if different from where you send it (just so I can keep you on a temporary no spam FCW2003 mailing list)

--------------------------------------------------------------
<b><i>"Then what will YOU do?"</i></b>

For the general WINTERSPACE2002 event, I will send all submissions to JasterW for further review. Please read this carefully, and probably twice, as it may confuse you the first time.

All submissions to me will be automatically submitted to GENERAL WINTERSPACE2002 in addition to KeenIME FCW2003 (2003 because it's a new year's type thingy)

<B>For GENERAL WINTERSPACE2002:</b>
1. I will send all submissions I get to JasterW, who will proceed to take a look at it, make sure it fits his event (which is up to him), and will put it up accordingly.
2. Submission rules for this may be slightly different than mine. Read below.
3. He will put together a nice page with everyones graphics, with probably thumnails and a description, displaying each author's submission and a link back to their comic. You will be thrown in with the rest of submissions (non-KeenIME)

<B>For KeenIME FCW2003:</b>
1. I will judge all submissions, and if you follow the rules I've laid out (read below), I will put it up on a KeenIME FCW2003 submissions-only page, with the same good stuff that is aforementioned in #3 in the last paragraph.
2. This page, though separate from the general WINTERSPACE2002 site, will be just an extra page that will be linked to by our dropdown when the time comes; however, it will link back to general WINTERSPACE2002, and yes, your pictures (if accepted by JasterW) will be in that site too, possibly with a small side-recognition that you submitted via KeenIME.
3. Submissions on the KeenIME separate page won't necessarily be on the general WINTERSPACE2002, if it is the case that I accept your work but JasterW doesn't (unlikely; read below for further details).
4. Even if I don't accept a work for the KeenIME page (most likely because of offensivity), I will <b>still</b> send it to JasterW, with the chance he finds it less offensive than I do.
5. The above items should give you the notion that you have <B>nothing to lose</b> by submitting it through KeenIME FCW2003; your work will have no less of a chance of being on WINTERSPACE2002. The advantages are possibly more publicity towards your site, and that warm winter-fuzzy feeling of being a proud KeenIME member.

----

The GENERAL WINTERSPACE2002 page will be up on JasterW's own accord; last I heard, he's just going to put it up whenever. Once I find out, I will send him your submissions, and your pictures will go up on his site when he puts them up, which I have a feeling will be really early.

However, for the separate KeenIME FCW2003 page, I am guessing that it'll be up a tad bit later. The will become officially complete on probably the 29th of December, but as late as the 31st. Most likely it'll come out much earlier.

I will, a few weeks before that, email the creators (using that temporary mailing list) the URL of where this future page will be, so they can announce it on their site during that time. Also, we'll try to provide some nifty linking banners and such (you can also make me and send me these if you're interested). The site will be up basically forever, and it will be linked to as the weekly spotlight for that new years week, later accessible through the dropdown.

-------------------------------------------
<b><i>"Alright...but WINTER? Come on, Bryan!"</i></b>

I don't underestimate the power of your creativity. Okay, so Winter's not exactly ideal for swimsuits (or maybe?). So frickin' what? Winter can be dag-frickin' sexy if you want it! The weather inside <i>is</i> delightful after all. (or whatever that song says)

--------------------------------------------
<b><i>"Please be more specific on what you actually want." (WHAT ARE THE RULES?)</i></b>

<b>ANYTHING!</b> The theme is winter time / new years time. Other than that, <b>ANYTHING YOU WANT</b>. Here are some guidelines:

GENERAL WINTERSPACE2002 Rules:
1. The following rules are not necessarily the same as those for Winterspace 2002. Last I heard, they are looking preferably for sexy+funny. Don't take my word for it; I also know that JasterW is one of the most flexible guys, and so anything that passes through me will most likely pass through him. If you wish to find out what JasterW's requirements are, go <a href="http://forums.keenspace.com/viewtopic.php?t=43770">here</a>.

Required Rules:
1. Has to be winter oriented.
2. Anime/Manga styled. Although I'm not going to judge this on how big your character's eyes or breasts are, I just don't see why anyone who doesn't do anime would sign up here. Don't take this rule too seriously folks. I am <b><i>not</i></b> a judge on how anime-y something looks. I'll basically put anything you give me up. I just want this rule here so people who don't associate their work with Anime/Manga style and feel they would much better belong in the <a href="http://forums.keenspace.com/viewtopic.php?t=43770">GENERAL WINTERSPACE 2002</a> only will not feel compelled to submit it through here.
3. Large graphics okay, but be reasonable. Let's cap them at ...well...400k. I can't see anyone really needing more. (If you do and have a good reason, contact me and we'll work it out.) Try to keep them in JPG or GIF formats (if you have another format that you are compelled to use, again, contact me).
4. <B>NON-OFFENSIVE</B>. If I think your image is too suggestive of anything that I deem shouldn't be suggested, I will not put it up. Especially HATEFUL stuff. Please read the "HENTAI DISCLAIMER" below for more info on that.

Preferences (We'd like you to follow these guidelines, but you don't have to):
1. Full Images are preferred over comics. It'd be nice to have it colored, too.
2. Content regards original characters, and especially characters from your comics (good if you want to advertise). Original characters not from your comics and non-original characters are still okay, and a mixture of both is fine. Make sure copyrights and credits are given to the proper creators.
3. Characters preferred. I wouldn't know why anyone would submit just a picture of a landscape, but it is possible, and we'll accept it.
4. Take your time on these, as you want it to look nice. We prefer one nicely made image over many hastily drawn images.

Things you can do (but are not limited to do)
1. Any genre/mood. Sad, happy, sexy, cute, sentimental, whatever.
2. Commemorate any holiday you like (XMAS,HANNUKAH,KWANZAA), or NEW YEARS. Or commemorate nothing: you can keep it free of any holiday connotations, and as long as its winter time, it's cool with us.
3. I know that, where I live, it doesn't snow. You're not required to make the winter "typical", although still keep winter in mind.
4. Any kind of character is fine: anthropomorphic characters (furries), monsters and creatures, talking objects (e.g. Hanky) are all fine with us.
5. Send me as many images as you like.
6. Any age, any sex (including androgynous and in-between genders), any "life-preference."

-----------------------------------------------
<b><i>"Now give us the obligatory no hentai please disclaimer."</i></b>

Ha ha, you <i>knew</i> we were coming to this. Yes, of course there are restrictions. Please, nothing offensive in any way. Nudity is allowed (you however hereby agree to having a possible disclaimer next to the thumbnail of an aforementioned image), but very graphic nudity/situations and the like, if deemed too excessive by yours truly, will not be posted up. However, I'm pretty lenient and I'm sure JasterW is too, so give us a try.

And <i>pleeeaaassee</i>, no explicit pictures of underaged characters!!!

-----------------------------------------

Alright, so have fun, and start drawing! I hope people have fun with this and we get a lot of participants. If so, cool. Your comic will receive even more exposure than before. If we don't get a good turnout, no worries, more time off the computer and with my family drinking egg nog. But no worries! Go draw now! I want you to!

Also, if you got any questions, comments, or ideas, or if you want to help out somehow with the page, making banners, or anything else you can think of, feel free to bring em up here in this thread, or email me.

Let's GO!
Last edited by ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby Rincewind MoG on Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:04 pm

Just to get it out of the way...

Sad girls in snow! lol!!!11111111

Anyway, this sounds like a good idea. I'll try to get something done for this before the deadline.
<A HREF="http://midlands.keensp" TARGET=_blank>The Midlands</A>
Rincewind MoG
Regular Poster

Postby Reinder on Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:18 pm

Hang on, hang on. I hate to yell at people for work they do voluntarily, but this sounds a lot like the followup to Icebreaker 2000, which was an all-Keenspace event, and doing such a followup has been discussed on the General Discussion message board as an all-Keenspace event. How come this is suddenly seeing the light as a Keenime-only feature?
Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:25 pm

reinder wrote:Hang on, hang on. I hate to yell at people for work they do voluntarily, but this sounds a lot like the followup to Icebreaker 2000, which was an all-Keenspace event, and doing such a followup has been discussed on the General Discussion message board as an all-Keenspace event. How come this is suddenly seeing the light as a Keenime-only feature?

Hmm, how interesting. I apologize, but I have not heard of Icebreaker 2000 or a followup to that. Excuse my ignorance. FCW2003 was totally out of my own whim and meant for Keenime members (as it is supposed to be a Keenime event and not a general Keenspace event), and was never intended to be a follow up to Icebreaker 2000 or anything.

This was meant to be a humble event, but if you see any conflicts of interests arising or problems with the current plan, I'm more than welcome to address concerns on this forum, or by mail if you wish.

Thanks
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby Reinder on Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:14 am

Sorry I got a little bit cranky there, Bryan (and thanks for handling my complaint with such grace). As I wrote in this thread, I'd rather have as many people as possible on board for a big, popular special event than having two different teams organising two confusingly similar events competing with each other. My suggestion: take it up with JasterW ( jastermareel@hotmail.com ) and see how you can sort this out. I'm for a big, open event, because that's worked well with the Lace events, but if you feel a separate Keenime event works better, I don't think anyone's going to stop you.

And, well, Icebreaker was a long time ago, and the address is broken. No wonder you didn't know about it.
Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Postby D-Boy 83 on Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:08 pm

Hmm...well, I'm in. As a matter of fact, I'm done with a pic! (Just need to hand it over to my colorist so he can work his magic on it). But as for the other debate....(WinterSpace or the KEENIME FRICKIN' COLD WINTER) I'd personally prefer the two to remain separate rather than to have one large one. Why? Cause that way I could jump right to the gallery that's anime influenced.
D-Boy 83
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:34 am

Rincewind MoG wrote:Just to get it out of the way...

Sad girls in snow! lol!!!11111111

Anyway, this sounds like a good idea. I'll try to get something done for this before the deadline.

Ha! You've given me a great, great, idea. Here it is:

OUR FIRST BANNER! Hey, feel free to put this on your site, and link it back to this forum for now.
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby Allanah on Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:11 am

I think I'll join this too. I always draw my characters in the snow being Canadian and all :roll:
Hehe, I have a whole bunch already, but I'll nake a new one just for this ^^
Cool idea!
Everyone needs a little love and
Security <3<3
Allanah

Postby Reinder on Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:18 am

Hey, the new rules sound really good! Thanks for sorting things out:) Now I'll just have to start work on a piece for the event...
Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jeero on Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:21 am

hang on, buffer week? erm, i thought my comic was next on the spotlight thingy... captain greyhound, no? from the 12th or soemthing.. i even sent the banner, don't do this to me :o
Jeero
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:57 pm

Jeero wrote:hang on, buffer week? erm, i thought my comic was next on the spotlight thingy... captain greyhound, no? from the 12th or soemthing.. i even sent the banner, don't do this to me :o

No worries, Jeero, Captain Greyhound will begin on monday and taken a full week to sunday, as scheduled. The buffer week is the new years 2002-2003 week, which is when the banner will be up. To clear the confusion, why the FCW banner is up so early is because I had express permission from this week's spotlight (my friend AC of <a href="http://thermalyte.keenspace.com">thermalyte</a> and NAFTA partner-in-crime) to put something up instead of hers, and I saw that as an opportunity to get the word out. Either case, not to worry. YOu are still on board.

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:55 pm

First of all, we have 3 submissions so far, including one I did. Thank you D-Boy and Naru!!

Oh, and there will be some more changes to the submission rules, as I find out more and more about how Winterspace is going to operate. So please visit frequently to learn about those changes!

That's all
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

sounds kewl! ^^

Postby Feonixmo0n on Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:31 am

*thumbs up* That's a brill idea you thought up Brian... *waves* HI! *finger on chin* I'll be joining in so watch out! ^o^/ and expect my art to fly! see you laters! ^.~
Feonixmo0n

Postby AnimeCanuck on Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:48 am

Cool idea, Bry! ^_^

This actually gives me a nice idea or two...
(Are they supposed to be just female characters?)

Either way... Heheheh. This should give me a nice break from my regular Thermalyte duties. Not that I was doing them anyways... but.. Heh. Another excuse to put off Thermalyte. And another reason to update at the same time. Oy!

I should really get my ass in gear, huh?

December 10th, eh? Hmmmm.... ^^

Ideas ideas! Floating in my head. Some are naughty... some are nice.
Heheheh... ^^

Man, am I evil!

Ja domo!!

(Oh and Bry, I may be able to help with a banner/button or two! Email me if you'd like my help at all)

^_^
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:44 pm

Hi AC! We'll take any characters that you like, guys, girls, androgynous, whatever. It doesn't matter. They don't have to be sad either. Thanks for helping me clear that out.

Oh, and some extra banner help would be helpful too.

Thanks
Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby Dom K on Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:10 pm

Sounds absolutely divine... I'll get right on it, Lieutenant.
*salutes*
Prone to random acts of <a href="http://seraphicwaltz.keenspace.com/"> siliness</a>.
Dom K

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11832 on Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:08 pm

Might as well jump on the bandwagon... Hopefully I'll have the equipment to colorthe picture as well... Will have to use characters I haven't introduced yet, but what the hell. I'm in.

Hopefully I can meet the deadline...
ZOMBIE USER 11832
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:14 am

whoo hoo! I've gotten 9 submissions already, and there are a couple more coming! That's not too shabby. This thing is definitely on, and there is still tons of time yet. So get workin' and get all your friends to be workin'. Unless you are against having your comic receive some major publicity.
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Nonhuman Rights

Postby Percival_Brock on Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:46 pm

Are nonhumans with human-like qualities allowed in this event?
Percival_Brock
Regular Poster

Re: Nonhuman Rights

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:57 pm

Percival_Brock wrote:Are nonhumans with human-like qualities allowed in this event?

Sure! Go right ahead. Anthros are cool. Weird monsters are cool. Regular animals are cool. Basically, almost anything tasteful is cool.
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Next

Return to KeenIME