[09/01/03] Yikes!

[09/01/03] Yikes!

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11490 on Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:38 pm

After reading the alt text I had to go back and re-read the strip to catch it :o
Lucky for me I read Freefall and K&K! Well done, Scott! :D
ZOMBIE USER 11490

Re: [09/01/03] Yikes!

Postby Mako on Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:21 am

Tegeran wrote:After reading the alt text I had to go back and re-read the strip to catch it :o
Lucky for me I read Freefall and K&K! Well done, Scott! :D

Note to everyone:

Today's strip is actually Two separate strips that taste great together, so there is an ALT tag for both the upper half and the lower half of the strip, gotta catch 'em all! :D

I haven't read the Quartermass stuff, but I did see the Brit flick about unearthing the martian space ship. When I was 8 it scared the hell out of me :o When I finally saw it again a year or two ago it was just too funny :D

I forget the name of the though, I think Scott has a vidcap on the wall as a movie poster, but I can't make out the title completely even on the HiRez site: "... from the pit" or some such and I'm too lazy to Googlefish for it right now.

CYa!
Mako the Insomoniac Zzyzxian
Last edited by Mako on Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 10683 on Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:10 am

Quartermass. (Those insect martians scared me, too!)

Was released in the US as "Five Million Years to Earth."

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/Q/htm ... ermass.htm
ZOMBIE USER 10683

You gave it away, Scott!

Postby Earl McClaw on Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:39 am

Here I was going to try and pry out all the references myself, and Scott had to go and put "spoilers" in the ALT.

So where's "2001"? "The Time Machine"? I mean, you included Traveller!
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:56 am

SIGH

That's the only problem with Opera, it doesn't display ALT-tags, so I have to view the source to read them. And even though Scott's tags are funny and often add an extra joke, I normally don't take the time to do it.

I'm afraid I didn't get all the references. I think I got the Kevin & Kell one, and I know who Eric von Daniken is and (generally) what his theories are, but I didn't catch the Freefall reference. And the other two names are beyond me.

A little help, someone?
<A HREF="http://www.fightcastorevade.net" TARGET=_blank>Fight Cast Or Evade</A>
Swords, sorcery, heroes, villains, and serious discourse on the socio-political issues facing our modern society.
Oh, and talking animals.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby Legene on Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:29 am

Matt Trepal wrote:
I'm afraid I didn't get all the references. I think I got the Kevin & Kell one, and I know who Eric von Daniken is and (generally) what his theories are, but I didn't catch the Freefall reference. And the other two names are beyond me.

A little help, someone?

I'm glad you didn't ask for a lot of help, because I couldn't've done that. :)

The Freefall reference is a reference to Florence's explanation of her creation, in which she made a hypothetical reference to colonizing the planet Pfouts where the native life as an amino acid structure incompatible with humans'. http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff800/fv00710.htm

The "Cult of Darwin" is a mysterious group in the comic The Adventures of Fifine, http://fifine.purrsia.com/COMICS.html.
- Archer da HorseWoofie
Legene
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:44 am

Aha. Thanks, legene!

Apparently, I don't read the comics as thoroughly as I should. Perhaps I need to start taking notes....
<A HREF="http://www.fightcastorevade.net" TARGET=_blank>Fight Cast Or Evade</A>
Swords, sorcery, heroes, villains, and serious discourse on the socio-political issues facing our modern society.
Oh, and talking animals.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:17 pm

legene wrote:
Matt Trepal wrote:The Freefall reference is a reference to Florence's explanation of her creation, in which she made a hypothetical reference to colonizing the planet Pfouts where the native life as an amino acid structure incompatible with humans'.
This double strip was both amusing and poignant for me; I engage in debate with such persons on a fairly regular basis, including this morning, and am very much aware of how many millions are ready to believe seven impossible things before breakfast.

To Scott Kellogg: I wonder if you realized that a Pfouts was the author of "Hula Dancers and Tiki Gods".

The Pfouts planet had right-handed amino acids; when you see a product in a health food store such as L-Argenine or L-Ornithine, the "L-" prefix indicates "left handed". Research published just days ago has shed some light on the effect of polarized light on the formation of amino acids, and how this planet got started that way.

Sugar molecules, on the other hand ... ;) ... are different. The name Dextrose comes from it being a right-handed molecule.

The famous thalidomide disaster decades ago--very serious birth defects--was caused by lack of sufficient attention paid to molecule orientation. One form was helpful, the other caused the problem. We manufactured both together, not realizing that the difference was significant.

Interesting; we find amino acids in meteors from time to time, and it has not occured to me what their chirality (handedness) might be. I will check.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:35 pm

LevelHead wrote:Interesting; we find amino acids in meteors from time to time, and it has not occured to me what their chirality (handedness) might be. I will check.

There is none. Both left and right handed animo acids are displayed in equal abundence.
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Re: You gave it away, Scott!

Postby Baxtrr on Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:55 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:Here I was going to try and pry out all the references myself, and Scott had to go and put "spoilers" in the ALT.

So where's "2001"? "The Time Machine"? I mean, you included Traveller!

How can you NOT include Traveller? What else IS there? :o ;)

Seriously, tho, I still think it's in the top ten of the best-developed and most consistent future histories out there...at least until Marc Miller decided it was too boring and had an Archduke who should have known better start shooting randomly in a throne room...followed soon after by inventing the world's stupidest computer virus and then painting a big black SPLOTCH over the map of the galaxy...! :evil:

"This is last transmission. Loyal Traveller fan community signing off. We keep the flame. Good luck."

bax
(ex-author for the Traveller RPG, lo these many moons ago)
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web
Baxtrr
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:03 pm

Just a quick comment:
The movie "Five Million Years To Earth" (AKA "Quatermass and the Pit")
took place at an Underground station called "Hobb's End", "Hob" being
the Devil (The Devil was supposed to be a race memory of the Martians)
This being a furry comic strip, I figured "Hobbes End" would be more
appropriate. :wink:

Oh, and the movie poster on the platform behind Dr. Tangent and
Dr. Lancaster is from "Quatermass And The Pit".

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:08 pm

PS.

I gotta say, I really do feel guilty putting Mark Stanley's name into the same sentence as Eric Von D
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 10915 on Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:35 pm

Duck!

Quick!

Quick ducks? :wink:
*snickers to self*
ZOMBIE USER 10915
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:23 am

Sheepdog wrote:Duck!

Quick!

*snickers to self*

I think he's gone Quackers... :D
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:46 am

Kellogg wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:Duck!

Quick!

*snickers to self*

I think he's gone Quackers... :D

Nahh, he's just going to Peking to hang around ;-)

CYa!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Serious coolness!

Postby ZOMBIE USER 10430 on Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:55 pm

Oh man! So much sweet nostalgia and cool in-jokes packed into two little strips. As always, I wonder how Scott keeps coming up with this, but I'm very glad he does.
ZOMBIE USER 10430
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 10915 on Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:54 pm

Kellogg wrote:I think he's gone Quackers... :D

N' soup!

Mmmm, Mmmm, Good! :D
ZOMBIE USER 10915
Regular Poster

Return to 21st Century Fox