Quiet

Quiet

Postby Daniel Cougar on Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:54 am

The cougar's eyes slowly swept the forumscape again, his brow knitted in concern.

"It's quiet," he muttered to himself, "too quiet."
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Quiet?

Postby Baxtrr on Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:51 pm

Daniel Cougar wrote:The cougar's eyes slowly swept the forumscape again, his brow knitted in concern.

NOISE!

Photoshop coma Redshift now Arizona Focusrite automaton deadline server earplugs taillight cashreserve pears DSP Data BT telephone memory circulation website Filemaker invoices complaint Xpander DVD catalog fiscal flatplan greyline absentee prepress ADesigns JLCooper Ozone CASSIEL deepskymusic manmustmove slawmusic shenandoah Edirol Jaguar punk driver calendar DADDY HE'S DEAD :cry: Quiddler headcrash rehearsal Arcosanti lawyer kerning pullquote mutationvector slider resolution tearsheet kneepad mouthwash dividebyzero java Java (museum!) bureaucat monoxide atomic modular waitstate Ultrasone indigo acid London bombsight ZIF glue MiniDesk butterfly contempt funeral outage ukelele betta Basenji stormwarning solderburn horizon tangent insurance blasphemy ego prison blister slimline(waste????) dump highlight perversion universal sputnik render DUDE YOU BETTER CALM DOWN OR YOU'LL HAVE A STROKE HA HA HA HA HA HA chemistry/jazz empetus amoeba earshrapnel punishment silicone rolodex leaking smackdown Quark Numina !necrocosm! syringe burden haunted zinc autorelay Corel node live dead Cubase FireWire Monday poison conversion renal nightTerror denial G0D ReST YE M33RY pain/ag0ny reach touch claws comfortnocomfort powdercoat underside overmold forcebar torsion backwards tanzwut manikin starbright Kaoss andromeda upload hammer tongs t0ngues gr0ove5 stylu5 n33dle jab scr3am 1rr1tant d3f3ct1ve m9ndc0nta1nr

N01SE!!

...i'm sorry. what?

bax

:o
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web
Baxtrr
Regular Poster

Re: Quiet?

Postby Mako on Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:53 pm

baxtrr wrote:
Daniel Cougar wrote:The cougar's eyes slowly swept the forumscape again, his brow knitted in concern.

NOISE!

Photoshop coma Redshift now Arizona Focusrite automaton deadline server earplugs taillight cashreserve pears DSP Data BT telephone memory circulation website Filemaker invoices complaint Xpander DVD

snipage

N01SE!!

...i'm sorry. what?

bax
:o

Windy bus-stop. Click. Shop-window. Heel.
Shady gentleman. Fly-button. Feel.
In the underpass, the blind man stands. With cold flute hands.
Symphony match-seller, breath out of time -
You can call me on another line.

<B>Noise is GOOD! :)</b>

Scott - Baxter's polyphonic epic needs to be on the Poetry page!!!

CYa!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:51 pm

baxtrr wrote:

<snipage>

...i'm sorry. what?

I should thwap you silly with a giant herring, but that would be ... redundant.
:wink:
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:15 pm

I was just pondering how Jack in VR could get poinged by Jenny in RR.

batty den
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Legene on Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:21 pm

batty den wrote:I was just pondering how Jack in VR could get poinged by Jenny in RR.
batty den

Well, Jack may just be very compliant. Or... maybe the phone OS is Microsoft, and when she pounced, his image _crashed_ to the ground?

Oh, by the way:

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray,
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe Dimaggio,
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television,
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe,
Rosenbergs, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom,
Brando, The King and I and The Catcher in the Rye
Eisenhower, Vaccine, England's got a new Queen,
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana good-bye .
- Archer da HorseWoofie
Legene
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:01 pm

B. B. Bumble and the Stingers, Mott the Hoople, Ray Charles Singers
Lonnie Mack and twangin' Eddy, here's my ring we're goin' steady
Take it easy, take me higher, liar liar, house on fire
Locomotion, Poco, Passion, Deeper Purple, Satisfaction
Baby baby gotta gotta gimme gimme gettin' hotter
Sammy's cookin', Lesley Gore and Ritchie Valens, end of story
Mahavishnu, fujiyama, kama-sutra, rama-lama
Richard Perry, Spector, Barry, Rogers-Hart, Nilsson, Harry
Shimmy shimmy ko-ko bop and Fats is back and Finger Poppin'

Life is a rock but the radio rolled me
Gotta turn it up louder, so my DJ told me
Life is a rock but the radio rolled me
At the end of my rainbow lies a golden oldie!

Aloha,

Sorry, I've been quiet. Fighting a bug today. Lots going around. :P

Being poinged: The computer goggle headsets can provide tactile
information, so you can feel yourself getting pounced.
(Napoleon XIV once complained that the tactile input of a headset
was limited to 5 dots per inch.)
http://techfox.keenspace.com/d/20021125.html

(This is how Cecil and Beth were somewhat tongue tied in VR once while
she was at home in Texas, while he was in a hotel room across the
country. http://techfox.keenspace.com/d/20020318.html
Anyway, this is a demonstration of the technology behind the sort of
thing you find at Earscritch.Com.)

Napoleon XIV went on to observe that "Faux Reality is almost like
being there." Well, Jack may be feeling like he's been pounced and
slurped at 5 DPI, but that's enough bounce to the ounce be pounced
with and still enjoy it. 8)

Virtual Poing:
When it absolutely, positively has to be pounced right now. :o
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Hortmage on Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:07 am

Scott,

Sorry to hear you're feeling down -- there's a lot of that going around these days. Here's the best way to deal with a nasty bug, though: Image

Thanks for posting that very strange ditty by Elton John. I heard that back in my youth, and, as with most of his songs from that era, only managed to pick up 1 word in 10.

Also: thanks for the explanation about the virtual pouncing. (Poing? Can you say that on a PG forum?) :o

I'd been wondering how he got knocked over if this was just a visual hologram. Although Jenny does look VERY adorable doing the ol' vulpine mouse pounce.... And I appreciate the links to the real fox pouncing. Quite amusing to watch them diving head first into the snow -- reminds me of my kids....
Hortmage, The Magic Gardener
Making Environmental Education Fun AND Magical!
Hortmage
Regular Poster

Postby Baxtrr on Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:43 am

Mako wrote:
Noise is GOOD! :)

Not when it's in your head, it isn't.

Scott - Baxtrr's polyphonic epic needs to be on the Poetry page!!!

Does it qualify as poetry? I guess, if John Cage's stuff is music. I was just placing words to reflect current content...

[random image pops into head. Old cartoon from HUSTLER. Female artist in gallery surrounded by pictures of male genitalia, explaining to visitor, "I paint what I feel." I guess you had to be there.]

Anyway, the point is that that was not a composed piece, it was a snapshot of what was going on in my skull right then: production deadlines, musical worries, a daughter grieving over a dead pet, family commitments, too many things promised to too many people ranging from casual acquaintances to my local government, and various darker issues that all of us have bubbling under the surface. Noise.

I haven't had silence in my life in so long that any time I hear the phrase "It's quiet, too quiet" I never know whether to laugh, cry, or start throwing breakable objects.

bax

ps. Thanx for the email, Scotto. Friends like you are rare and precious.

pps. "Life Is A Rock" was not Elton John. And it's recently been updated to vintage 2001 by Disney, of all people. Urgh.
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web
Baxtrr
Regular Poster

Postby Docabsinthe on Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:06 am

Geez baxtrr that sounded like you were drinking espresso by the gallon and had a T-1 plugged into your frontal lobe. Remain calm, all is well, don't panic, I'm with the government and I'm here to help aaahhh! OK NOW you can panic! heh, tis the season for unmitigated stress. I suggest an hour with a glass of brandy, headphones and Mozart. --doc
Docabsinthe
Regular Poster

stress and distractions vs. alcohol and music: film at 11

Postby Baxtrr on Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:48 pm

docabsinthe wrote:Geez baxtrr that sounded like you were drinking espresso by the gallon and had a T-1 plugged into your frontal lobe.

That's my usual data rate, docabsinthe. It amuses my coworkers and scares my family and friends to death. I'm the second-closest person they know to literally exploding. (The FIRST closest is a friend of mine at the Pentagon who runs 20 miles a day and does 100 flights on the stepper, has at least five mistresses, and was last measured with a blood pressure of 203 over 120. When he gets a cut finger, it SPATTERS. Terrifying.)

heh, tis the season for unmitigated stress. I suggest an hour with a glass of brandy, headphones and Mozart. --doc

Actually, I'm like this all the time. Which is kinda icky. My massage therapist calls me "her favorite challenge." She dubbed me this after she worked on my back and neck for half an hour, nearly hurting herself, and didn't loosen me up at all. My wife says I'm even tense in my sleep.

My current plan is to get the wife and kids out of the house, unhook the computer and the phone, and do my own variant on your suggestion: raspberry-infused sake (Momokawa Moonstone, to be precise--such a totally flagrant destruction of respected traditions that only electronic musicians drink it!), headphones (review units from a bizarre company in Sweden making extraordinary claims...can't wait to see if they're true), and a lot of music but no Mozart. SIX Redshift albums to get through! How DO they do it? (I actually know how, but any honest answer to that question would seem mean-spirited.)

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I really, really HATE the holidays; something about the combination of redoubled stress and everyone patting you on the head and telling you that you should be relaxing...once you've taken care of all the stressful stuff that you have to do before everyone who's counting on you can have a stress-free holiday, that is. :-?

If all goes well, I should be just relaxed enough to do some of my own music and get a start on my next album before coming back to work.

bax
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web
Baxtrr
Regular Poster

Return to 21st Century Fox