Bit Pipe

Bit Pipe

Postby Mako on Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:44 am

I'm curious to know if those of you using the http://www.hirezfox.com server to check out 21CF are satisfied with the speed your getting.

It's currently running on a 512/128 cable connection. For another $25 a month I can get a 3Mb(!)/256 connection. To do this will require an IP address change, so the server would be in limbo for a couple days while DNS was updated (yet again).

Rather that just chuck $ into a bigger pipe that may not be needed, Scott suggested that I ping you guys and get some feedback from his readers.

Tnx!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby Nebulous Rikulau on Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:38 am

Since I have a dial-up connection, most of the delay I see is on my end. :-?

On a related topic... related to hirezfox anyway...
Would it be much trouble to include the alt tags from the original 21CF strips, possibly as captions beneath the image? I don't know HTML, so...<shrug>

Thanks for making those images available anyway. :)
Nebulous Rikulau
Nebulous Rikulau
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:04 am

I'm on dial-up too, so the dealys are at my end. :cry:

batty
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:25 am

Nebulous Rikulau wrote:Since I have a dial-up connection, most of the delay I see is on my end. :-?

On a related topic... related to hirezfox anyway...
Would it be much trouble to include the alt tags from the original 21CF strips, possibly as captions beneath the image? I don't know HTML, so...<shrug>

Thanks for making those images available anyway. :)

Indeed, a modem connection doesn't stress the connection (un) fortunately :)

As to adding the tags, I'm not quite setup for that. Right now I'm simply linking to the .jpg images directly. To have the alt tags, I need to create a page for each comic (or use .cgi or similar to generate the page on the fly).

I've got that on my plate to do though, it will be part of an automation program I'm in the process of slowly writing.

Tnx & CYa!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 8511 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:22 pm

I'm on a cable modem, and it doesn't take that long. The forums take longer to load than the hi-res page.
ZOMBIE USER 8511
Regular Poster

Re: Bit Pipe

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:27 pm

Mako wrote:I'm curious to know if those of you using the http://www.hirezfox.com server to check out 21CF are satisfied with the speed you're getting.
If you are wanting to do this anyway and are looking for an excuse, do it.

However, I have a high-speed connection and have no difficulty with the site. I load the 1024 from your system faster than the original image from KeenStop.

In fact, as my access to 21CF has been sporadic, I've been using your site to keep up on the story.

Thanks, by the way!
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Nebulous Rikulau on Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:04 pm

Mako wrote:As to adding the tags, I'm not quite setup for that. Right now I'm simply linking to the .jpg images directly. To have the alt tags, I need to create a page for each comic (or use .cgi or similar to generate the page on the fly).

I've got that on my plate to do though, it will be part of an automation program I'm in the process of slowly writing.

OK. I understand the problem, if not the details. It was just a 'wouldn't it be nice if...' suggestion. 8)
Nebulous Rikulau
Nebulous Rikulau
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:19 pm

Mako wrote:As to adding the tags, I'm not quite setup for that. Right now I'm simply linking to the .jpg images directly. To have the alt tags, I need to create a page for each comic (or use .cgi or similar to generate the page on the fly).
An alternative occurs to me. If Mr. Kellogg could be encouraged to place the Alt-tag comment as a text string in a separate file, your site and his could link to this same file.

It would allow folks whose browsers cannot see alt-tags to still participate in this level of the entertainment.

I would certainly appreciate this, myself.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:07 pm

DetailBearCA wrote:I'm on a cable modem, and it doesn't take that long. The forums take longer to load than the hi-res page.

That's good, but bad/sad news in a way :)

Tnx DetailBear :)

LevelHead wrote:If you are wanting to do this anyway and are looking for an excuse, do it.

However, I have a high-speed connection and have no difficulty with the site. I load the 1024 from your system faster than the original image from KeenStop.

In fact, as my access to 21CF has been sporadic, I've been using your site to keep up on the story.

Thanks, by the way!

That 3MB/S down pipe sure would be schweeeeet :D I'll cogitate on it over the weekend. Timing for an install is rough, It's looking like I'm goung to put some serious miles on the truck I think...

I've had KS access issues too - the forum ate my reply to Batty's comments above, and getting to the various comics has been problematic sigh...

Tnx!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:10 pm

LevelHead wrote:
An alternative occurs to me. If Mr. Kellogg could be encouraged to place the Alt-tag comment as a text string in a separate file, your site and his could link to this same file.

It would allow folks whose browsers cannot see alt-tags to still participate in this level of the entertainment.

I would certainly appreciate this, myself.

Now that is a viable idea. It would require Scott to append the alt tags into a single .txt file on the KS server thogh, yete another step he may/not be happy with...

Tnx!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby Docabsinthe on Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:25 pm

Using DSL and it loads nice and fast. -doc
Docabsinthe
Regular Poster

Return to 21st Century Fox