Off Topic: Help Fund a Cartoonist!

Off Topic: Help Fund a Cartoonist!

Postby Kellogg on Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:06 pm

http://home.ntelos.net/~blue27a/merchandise.html

If the job market weren't pretty well non-existent, I'd be
spending my money.

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:17 pm

Are you still unemployed? Wow. This is the sort of thing that makes me glad I don't work in any technology field.
<A HREF="http://www.fightcastorevade.net" TARGET=_blank>Fight Cast Or Evade</A>
Swords, sorcery, heroes, villains, and serious discourse on the socio-political issues facing our modern society.
Oh, and talking animals.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kellogg on Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:19 pm

Matt Trepal wrote:Are you still unemployed? Wow. This is the sort of thing that makes me glad I don't work in any technology field.

*sigh*
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:06 pm

Matt Trepal wrote:Are you still unemployed? Wow. This is the sort of thing that makes me glad I don't work in any technology field.

Sigh v2.0 here too. 18 months for me now :-/ It's fugly out there, far fuglier than the press and politoco's are willing to admit.

A lot of people that are working are working far below their capabilities (under employed is the techie term, think of engineers working at Walmart for an example).

Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Re: Off Topic: Help Fund a Cartoonist!

Postby Mako on Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:09 pm

Kellogg wrote:http://home.ntelos.net/~blue27a/merchandise.html

If the job market weren't pretty well non-existent, I'd be
spending my money.

Scott

I hear ya. Only art I've spent $ on are the two Freefall coffee cups. I would have loved to have bid on White Pony's Florence picture, but there was simply no way. I shot my wad on a P4 box a month ago.

CYa!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

ot: fund a cartoonist

Postby Docabsinthe on Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:25 pm

I'm a fan of Ben Bruin too but really lacking in $$$. Here is something wierd; there was a survey about furry people and it turns out that we're mostly highly educated and have no money. Whats up with that? I'm going to sneak away now but I'll be back. (on all 4's sniffing around the web) --doc
Docabsinthe
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:57 pm

Mako wrote:Sigh v2.0 here too. 18 months for me now :-/ It's fugly out there, far fuglier than the press and politoco's are willing to admit.

Sigh v3.0. I spent 18 months out of work because 20 years experience does not beat the 20y.o. with a piece of paper that has "Degree" on it. So I've just finished the first year of my B.InfoTech degree, and have 2 more to look forward to.

batty
Unemployed since August 2000
:(
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:00 am

batty den wrote:
Mako wrote:Sigh v2.0 here too. 18 months for me now :-/ It's fugly out there, far fuglier than the press and politoco's are willing to admit.

Sigh v3.0. I spent 18 months out of work because 20 years experience does not beat the 20y.o. with a piece of paper that has "Degree" on it. So I've just finished the first year of my B.InfoTech degree, and have 2 more to look forward to.

batty
Unemployed since August 2000
:(

I'm bumping into that as well :-/ People are demanding ludicrous skill sets at half the pay, and they are finding people. It's harsh out here in IT land now....

CYa!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby Legene on Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:11 am

Kellogg wrote:

*sigh*

I was lucky, when my employer dot-bombed, my previous employer picked me up (my change of job was part of a deal between the two, so no hard feelings were involved). Still, I'm saving a lot more than spending, just in case.

The San Diego area (where I work) hasn't been hit quite as hard as the nation as a whole. So far, anyway. Y'all might consider looking around here, though I have to warn that the cost of housing is outrageous (San Diego county housing is the least affordable in southern California).

Best of luck to all.
- Archer da HorseWoofie
Legene
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:01 pm

Mako wrote:

Sigh v2.0 here too. 18 months for me now :-/ It's fugly out there, far fuglier than the press and politoco's are willing to admit.

A lot of people that are working are working far below their capabilities (under employed is the techie term, think of engineers working at Walmart for an example).

Mako

I think I fall into that catagory. I used to build custom computers for a living, now I'm a security guard.
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:47 pm

Daniel Cougar wrote:I think I fall into that category. I used to build custom computers for a living, now I'm a security guard.

Yep, though that beats being unemployed by a long shot...

CYa!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:57 pm

Sheesh. I would say that sucks for all of you, but that doesn't come close to really covering the situation, and you all undoubtedly already realize that.

But it's no wonder you all are able to post here all through the day, when productive members of society are working hard at their jobs! :wink:
Swords, sorcery, heroes, villains, and serious discourse on the socio-political issues facing our modern society.
Oh, and talking animals.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby Docabsinthe on Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:46 pm

please see furwerken post. Hey what you got to lose? I'm trying to get some headhunters on board too. --doc
Docabsinthe
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:02 am

Matt Trepal wrote:But it's no wonder you all are able to post here all through the day, when productive members of society are working hard at their jobs! :wink:
I find this part of your comment amusing on a couple of levels. But I am back, more or less, for the time being.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:29 am

LevelHead wrote:
Matt Trepal wrote:But it's no wonder you all are able to post here all through the day, when productive members of society are working hard at their jobs! :wink:
I find this part of your comment amusing on a couple of levels. But I am back, more or less, for the time being.

You find it amusing because there are plenty of people who, while at work, aren't very productive at all? It was meant as a gentle poke, not an indictment of anybody here who's out of work.
<small>stupid inability of the internet to transmit tone</small>

But this thread DOES explain why this forum can be so active when I'm at work...
Oh, and talking animals.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:18 pm

Matt Trepal wrote:You find it amusing because there are plenty of people who, while at work, aren't very productive at all?
No, I did not take it in any bad way at all. I was just reminiscing, sort of, over the idea that normally my own presence here is fairly large, even though my schedule is unusual. But in the past few weeks, events and task loads have conspired to make things more difficult; on the occasions when I did try to make a comment, KeenStop servers were not interested in what I had to say.

I am keenly aware of the impact current situations have on jobs, for my friends here and elsewhere. I am highly cognizant of how fragile a good situation is.

In the back of my mind, I keep tucked away how good I was working the grill in a fast food restaurant, or washing dishes in a big restaurant. Perhaps I'll need those skills again soon.

No, when I said "amusing" I meant simply that.

Best wishes.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Return to 21st Century Fox