Going Batty...

Postby HugoFuchs on Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:39 pm

batty den wrote:
HugoFuchs wrote:Bats are pretty cool, used to go spelunking quite a bit in my youth and quite a number of the caves hold bats, some year-round, other just in the winter.

Just being in the cave distrurbs bats, and that's not so good for them during hibernation. There's some caves in Wyoming (I think) National Parks has to close off during winter because the bat numbers dropped to dangerously low levels.

battyden

Actually, when Hibernating they are almost impossible to disturb. Very heavy sleepers. :wink: Usually it's some moron who does the damage. Anyway, yes some of the caves close for the winter for exactly that reason. In fact, they hang out in the deepest farthest reaches of the caves. I know because I've been back that far just before they closed one of those caves for the winter, and there were a few back there. I made the mistake of being with a moron who tried to arouse them (unsuccessfully). I quite literally dragged him out right after that. I wish I had a camera for some of the nifty things I've seen under the ground.
HugoFuchs
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:01 pm

Kellogg wrote:
batty den wrote:The airship is recycled from another model. Please dont ask what holds the track elements together.

No fair! You and WhitePony are getting all secretive!
No fair! No Fair! :lol:

The really cool part about working with 3d renders is that you can create photo-realistic 3D objects that can't exist in the real world.

pssst! the tracks are just hanging in the air! I cheated and didn't do any connectors in the track

battyden
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:11 am

Kellogg wrote:
No fair! You and WhitePony are getting all secretive!
No fair! No Fair! :lol:

Here's a bit more. It'll be a background element so there's little detail.

http://www.battyden.net/21cfbase2.jpg

battyden
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:14 am

Wow! COOL! :D

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Re: Cultural food differences... nothing about bat feet, sor

Postby Baxtrr on Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:00 pm

batty den wrote:
baxtrr wrote:I always delight in the differences between what's common and what's not between the USA and other countries.

bax

Have you tried Tim Tams?

http://www.arnotts.com.au/Biscuits/OurB ... sp?BID=79#

:)

battyden

Our friend in Melbourne used to send us packets of Tim Tams on a regular basis. The Double Chocolate ones. We ran out about a year ago and are in serious, SERIOUS withdrawal. Nothing made in America comes close. :cry:

bax
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web
Baxtrr
Regular Poster

Re: Cultural food differences... nothing about bat feet, sor

Postby Batty den on Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:17 pm

baxtrr wrote:
batty den wrote:
Have you tried Tim Tams?

Our friend in Melbourne used to send us packets of Tim Tams on a regular basis. The Double Chocolate ones. We ran out about a year ago and are in serious, SERIOUS withdrawal. Nothing made in America comes close. :cry:

bax

Did you do a tim-tam slam? Or did you put them in the freezer for a while and eat them cold?

On the shelves now are chocolate, double-coated chocolate, dark chocolate, mocha-coffee, and caramel.

I suppose a mail run could be organized if I had addresses. :D

batty
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Tim-Tams

Postby HugoFuchs on Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:49 pm

Their <a href="http://shops.arnotts.com.au/StoreFront.bok">online store</a> delivers to the US and alot of other places. The shipping charge is HEFTY however. It does go down per case if you order more than one. But delicious food is rarely cheap.
HugoFuchs
Regular Poster

Tim Tams--about as far from bat feet as you can get

Postby Baxtrr on Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:02 pm

batty den wrote:
baxtrr wrote:
batty den wrote:
Have you tried Tim Tams?

bax

Did you do a tim-tam slam? Or did you put them in the freezer for a while and eat them cold?

The fridge, actually. Our pattern in the past has been to set them aside and not think about them for several months, then open the box for a guest at dinner. No single packet has ever lasted more than one meal.

On the shelves now are chocolate, double-coated chocolate, dark chocolate, mocha-coffee, and caramel.

I suppose a mail run could be organized if I had addresses. :D

batty

Be careful what you offer. Would you like cash or CDs to sell and trade? :wink:

bax
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web
Baxtrr
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 4232 on Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:34 pm

Batty,
By chance, are you a Caver? I used to be one for a number of years, but I'm not the slot-stuffer I used to be...

Because of this former hobby, my first foray into anthropomorphic writing was for a group called Tai Pan and my character was a myotis velifer bat, but I wound up dropping the group before any of my stories were printed in their publication.

I keep toying with the idea of getting back into caving (enjoyed the bats), but my health isn't what it used to be (and I'm not as young or skinny either).
ZOMBIE USER 4232

Postby Batty den on Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:45 pm

Merlin wrote:Batty,
By chance, are you a Caver? I used to be one for a number of years, but I'm not the slot-stuffer I used to be...

No, never really got into it except on guided tours. I know a lot about bats due to my work as a rescuer/rehabber of injured bats. Most of them around here are tree-hollow dwellers. There's not many caves in this area.

battyden
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 4232 on Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:50 pm

batty den wrote:No, never really got into it except on guided tours. I know a lot about bats due to my work as a rescuer/rehabber of injured bats. Most of them around here are tree-hollow dwellers. There's not many caves in this area.

Ah, okay, but anyone who's a friend of bats is good person to me. Good show! :)
ZOMBIE USER 4232

Previous

Return to 21st Century Fox